Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-09, 07:01 PM   #1
knot289
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Baitcaster virgin.

Okay guys sorry to start yet another thread on the (dreaded) baitcaster, however while poking around the other threads I really couldn't answer everything I need.

Here is the deal. I've been using a spin wheel since I was around 4. 21 years later I buy my first Baitcaster on pressure from friends. So the first time I go out I cast a few times no problem, right around the 10-15 yard distance with no problem. Now I didn't buy a baitcaster so I can cast at a distance less then half of what I do with my spinning wheel. So I try a harder cast and yeah you guys know what happened. This birds nest may have been the godfather of all. Kevin's unique thumb trick not only did not work, it actually slit my finger,lol.

So here we go. I've tried once again today to try and learn a little more, now I can't get the darn thing to cast 5 yards with out it going crazy. I've worked the nob on the side (don't know the specific name) to slow down the baites free fall. It leaves the eye and hits the ground in about 3 secs. Which I was told was good. I need help guys.

Tell me why I should keep this darn thing and not throw it away. Looking back on the time when you were a rookie to the baistcaster walk me threw this darn thing. Should I give up? Is it really worth it?

Side note I did find out about the internal breaking system. I.E you pull out 3-4 when your new to help the spool from not going so fast. I pulled out all 6. Is this smart? How many should I do if any at all. I will wait to see what you all say before I venture out to try and tackle this evil of plastic and metal one more time. I have gone from a full spool of line down to maybe 50-100 yards. I don't want to waste much more, lol.

Help me guys, please!

Last edited by knot289; 01-06-09 at 07:11 PM.
knot289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.