Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-10, 09:53 PM   #1
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default If Your Rod's Cork Needs Cleaning

Try this. Your rods will feel and look like new. It's definitely useful to those who may want to sell a used rod online.

I found this on the Rodbuildingforum.com and gave it a try to get some of the gloss off the cork handles of my older rods. Here's the quote:

"I have been building, refinishing and restoring (Bamboo) fly rods for almost 20 years. I learned this craft from a notable bamboo rod historian and restorer in Sisters, Oregon. Our technique is to use Super Fine-400 Grit wet-or-dry automotive sandpaper...wet. 1st: protect all other rod surfaces (reel seats, hook keepers, bamboo ,glass or graphite) from errant abrasion with regular masking tape, leaving only the cork you wish to clean exposed. Next soak a small 4" x 6" pc of 400 grit sand paper under running water. I prefer warm water at the kitchen sink. Then place the cork under the warm running water while avoiding wetting the the masked areas as much as possible. Begin to sand lightly "long-ways", parallel to the rod while simultaneously rotating the grip. Rinse often to re-wet and check progress. Do not sand around the the grip(perpendicular to the shaft) as it may dislodge cork pith. I do not use any type of soap or detergent as I believe it can leave undesirable residue. This technique scarcely removes any cork material and can smooth out unwanted ridges from improperly cared for grips. Pat dry with a towel and let air dry. If done properly, when dry, your result will be silky-smooth grip. Better than original. Repeat if necessary then carefully remove masking tape ASAP. I do this to all the grips on all my rods, even after a season's use. Patina is nice, but over-rated, except on unfishable rods, like antiques or collectibles too valuable to fish anymore, anyway.
LAST and MOST IMPORTANTLY. NEVER use any kind of a scrub brush as it will remove the softer cork material and cause unsightly ridges that can de-valuate your rod. If this has has already occurred, the above technique can help reverse that process.
I believe you will be pleasantly surprised by the results. Good luck."
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.