Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-11, 12:35 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default While doing my homework...

I find this video on cold water jigging. The commentater talks about how a bass ALWAYS swallows bait head first. I'm not so sure I agree. The topic was relating to how when a bass takes a jig it actually turns the jig in its mouth so it can swallow it head first. Most people set while the jig is turning horizontally in the fishes mouth to swallow and at set the hook is basically sideways at the time of set and smaller hook up ratios are the result. Again I don't know that I agree.
I know we've been doing alot of jig hook setting talk and this may be repetitive but I didn't hear talk about the fish swallowing bait head first and actually when I think of it, when a caught bass is brought in spitting shad and other bait fish out, the shad are almost always head first, right?
So the fish may have an ability to reposition bait on the way in and out.
So whats your thoughts on 'head first' ?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.