Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-13, 07:40 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Cocealed carry defense loads.

Specifically 9mm, but could apply to other calibers as well. Currently, I carry a S&W 4013TSW Tactical .40 caliber. I have two loads for the gun. Remington Golden Saber 180GR SXT hollow points and Winchester SXT 180GR hollow points. I am planning on purchasing a 9mm sub compact for my new carry gun. I have been doing some research on the net and have it narrowed down to the Glock Gen 4 model 26, my first choice so far but would consider the Gen 3 issue, Springfield Armory XDs, Sig P250, and the S&W Shield. All in 9mm. All look very promising and get great reviews from users. Small, light weight, accurate, easily concealed, easily field stripped and dependable. My current S&W has been very reliable never failing to load and fire anything I put through it. Anyways, back to the issue of my post, defense ammo.

When choosing a defense load, I have always leaned on hollow points for maximum stopping power and tissue damage. However, I am starting to think more about round nose ammo for defense loads, especially for penetrating ability in winter should your attacker be wearing a heavy leather jacket, parka, or whatever over multiple layers. Would not a round nose bullet in this situation be more reliable for penetration? I have actually read recently of guys loading both round nose and hollow point at the same time into their clip for defense use. Best of both worlds. It sounds like a sound idea to me as it covers about any situation at all times. So I was curious for you guys who carry or keep a gun at home for protection, do you use different types of ammo depending on the time of year, warm months/cold months? And what grain do you prefer. Especially in 9mm loads which is what I am going to buy.

Lastly, I am NOT going to argue with anyone, the merits of a 9mm. I'm tired of some guys who think anything smaller that .40 is not sufficient for self defense and does not have stopping power. It worked very well for decades by militaries and police around the world. And the ammo is even better today than back then. Like I like to say, if you don't believe 9mm has stopping power, let me fire a couple round into your leg and see what you think then.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.