Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-07, 02:15 PM   #26
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Neither Catholics, Prostestants or any other Christian denominations that truly follow the historic Christian faith, have modified the bible to fit their needs. In time, with extensive study of all ancient manuscripts (both old and newly discovered) and the archeololical discoveries, the scriptures only become more clear and proven true. In true Christian belief, the message and the bible has never changed. The Holy Spirits assures it.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 04:42 PM   #27
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Dave, do you include the book of Revelation in your Bible?

Some do and some don't. Obviously, someone is wrong here. Either we are including a text which is not inspired by God, or we are wrongly depriving believers of that message.

I say this not to cast doubt on the Truth contained in scripture, but to illustrate that there must by definition have been some changes that have been made to the writings of Christian theology since the time they were handed down by God.
Old 11-08-07, 07:58 PM   #28
dave

I am Roman Catholic. Revelation is included. What is it about Revelation that concerns you? All historic true Christian denominations include it. There are four books in the Old Testament included in Catholic Bibles that Prostestant Bibles do not. The New Testament in its entirity is included in both. When so called "Christian" denominations begin to add, delete or alter in any way the words and the meaning of the words, they cease being Christians. I don't want this thread to become a religious debate. Some sights frown on religious topics and for good reason. I didn't start the hijacking of this thread but, I couldn't let certain statements go unanswered.
Old 11-08-07, 10:28 PM   #29
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Dave, as a baptist I disagree with your statement that we removed books. I believ that the catholics added books, but in the end it doesn't matter all that much. I don't want to start a fight, but I would like to disagree...
Old 11-08-07, 11:33 PM   #30
flfireman

Need to stop reading this dang post. Every damn time I click on JB's stupid thing. Do you realize how many time's Ive been singing Rick Astley. Holy CHIT Im going out of my freakin mind.
Old 11-09-07, 02:43 AM   #31
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Need to stop reading this dang post. Every damn time I click on JB's stupid thing. Do you realize how many time's Ive been singing Rick Astley. Holy CHIT Im going out of my freakin mind.
This will get that song out of your head....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l-xsXlwYBus
1/4 stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 08:42 AM   #32
dave

flbassman, What you have to remember is that when the canon of Scriptures was closed, there was one Christian denomination, which was the Roman Catholic Church. If I'm not mistaken, the first scism was the seperation of the east and west churches. Then, the Protestant Reformation. The different Prostestant denominations chose not to include certain Old Testament Books as inspired.
Old 11-09-07, 08:45 AM   #33
dave

PS. Although this is a touchy topic, I am encouraged by the respectful statements. I've seen sites where it turns bad.
Old 11-09-07, 06:51 PM   #34
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Dave, this topic hasnt been so bad as of yet. I think if we all agree to approach it out of the right motives (just to discuss things, not to beat people over the head with what you think they should believe) we will be ok.

First off on the Book of Revelation, you are correct. I had been under the impression that Revelation was not included in the Eastern Orthodox Bible, but on second look I think they do include it.

Perhaps it is the divine hand that eventually led on us to keep only true books and discard the rest, but while I am confident in God and Jesus I am less confident that this is so. I do think that the jist of the message is the same though.
Old 11-09-07, 11:45 PM   #35
1/4 stick

I gotta give you guys some kudos. I've seen and been involved in this type of discussion on other, more religious/political oriented message boards. By the second post they'd of been calling each other some nasty names.
So here's to you guys for being cool, rational adults.
1/4 stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 08:16 AM   #36
brushhog

The pursuit of faith and belief is one that leads different people in different directions. As a practicing Roman Catholic i think it is incumbent on me to continually examine topics like this in an effort to reaffirm my faith. I think it is difficult to ingore the human hand in the writing of any scripture, however like WTl my confidence in the divine influence behind the writing is strong. Separating what you believe to be the divine influence at work and what is the influence of the writer is where many denominations and individuals differ. A person of faith works hard to respect everyones decisions regarding these divisions. This has been well done here by all involved, very impressive gentlemen!
Old 11-10-07, 09:30 AM   #37
pig n jig

Well getting off track a bit, Have you ever fish with someone who has a fishing ritual, or practice they follow ? My uncle always washed his hands in the water that he was about to fish, before he climbed in the boat.I seen many people dip thier nets into the water before they started fishing.My old fishing partner wouldn't allow bananas on board his boat.Whenever I take a fish to eat, the rest of the carcass goes to the neighbor cats, so nothing is wasted.Whenever I buy a used rod, it gets scrubbed down several times with simple green and dawn dish detergent before I fish with it.I like to start the rod out with a clean slate, whatever made the person before me sell it doesn't stay attached when I fish with it. A lure given to you seems to always produce fish, its the good Kharma attached to them when given out of friendship. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 10:40 AM   #38
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Well getting off track a bit, Have you ever fish with someone who has a fishing ritual, or practice they follow ? My uncle always washed his hands in the water that he was about to fish, before he climbed in the boat.I seen many people dip thier nets into the water before they started fishing.My old fishing partner wouldn't allow bananas on board his boat.Whenever I take a fish to eat, the rest of the carcass goes to the neighbor cats, so nothing is wasted.Whenever I buy a used rod, it gets scrubbed down several times with simple green and dawn dish detergent before I fish with it.I like to start the rod out with a clean slate, whatever made the person before me sell it doesn't stay attached when I fish with it. A lure given to you seems to always produce fish, its the good Kharma attached to them when given out of friendship. P N J
I always dip my hands in the water before I fish it....And NO bananas on a boat EVER. That's about it. WHen I hunt, I always rub some dirt and leaves from the woods on my boots when I get out of the truck, but thats more to cover scent than as a superstition....
Old 11-21-07, 01:27 PM   #39
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

No coconut on my boat. Nothing that smells like coconut, looks like coconut, tastes like coconut, or is called coconut ANYTHING !!

Once refused to let my partner in the boat until he washed the coconut scented sunscreen off.
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.