Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-08, 07:08 AM   #26
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A knew a little about where he had been, philosophically I'm not to familiar, but you've got to have the utmost respect for any coach who is successful at a service academy... that is one tough row to hoe! I think you have already seen the beginning of catching up to the spread look at the shrinking outside linebackers in DI...
Old 02-09-08, 03:41 AM   #27
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i somewhat agree with wtl. if everyone remembers. the bear gave out scholarships to players just so they wouldn't play against him. and that is one reason why i think other schools complained and got the 85 rule. and yes i am a bama nut. but the game isn't like it used to be. they do recruit thugs everywhere. not just miami , fla, flastate, bama, it is everywhere. and i also think that the kids are getting hosed too. i mean the school is making millons of dollars every game and the kid gets classes and books, and a room? come on give him a little spending money as well. i know that school is supposed to be enough. but what are they supposed to do for a date? i ain't saying that they aren't getting money on the side. but if you come out nd give it in the open, legally i mean, then you are putting the school at risk of probation. i am probably not putting this in the right words. so forgive me.it is just that if kid has school, and pratice. what kind of social life does have? if he works part time they take away his scholarship i think. how does he survive? correct me if i am wrong .
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 03:47 AM   #28
bamabassman

and another thing , i want a playoff. maybe that will change the practice and all the other things. major collage football is the ONLY game without a playoff. if there were a playoff, bama would have 12 mor championships. just kidding. but we need a playoff. that would stop the guess work. and i have a way to conduct it. just like high school. oyu play your division, then your conference then the conferences play till you get a winner. simple. don't make it too hard.
Old 02-09-08, 04:22 PM   #29
WTL

Playoff is a horrible idea for D-1 football. Its one of those things that people are always crying for, but if they ever do it they will regret it bigtime. Right now college football is great because of all that rides on the regular season. A playoff would really hurt that a lot.
Old 02-09-08, 05:35 PM   #30
bamabassman

i disagree. if we had a playoff, there wouldn't be anything to cry about. there is too much guess work on who is the best and there is already schools saying that it is a rigged system now. take the year that lsu went undefeted and another team went undefeated, and the teams didn't play each other.no, i don't remember the year. but the championship was split. and you can go back to 1964 when alabama won one and arkansas won the other. and on, andon. come on...stop the crap and put in a playoff.hahaha. the bcs championship has midified their way each and every year. you can't make a "formula" on a computor to decide a winner. you must play it on the feild. take the superbowl, this year if they had a bcs in pro football, there would never have been a chance for new york to even be considered. i don't care what conference you are in in collage. if your team is division I, you go undefeated, you claim a championship. that is a fact of life. it happens every year. get rid of the controversy. get a playoff. and to heck with the bowls. there are too many of them now. millions of dollars going to too many suit and ties and not enough going to really help the kids in the class. that will always be my stand. it will never change. but it will not happen in my lifetime. so we (bama) will have to keep trying to go undefeated and hop for the best. ROLL TIDE ROLL!! haha
Old 02-09-08, 06:54 PM   #31
brushhog

This is an argument that will go on and on.... The points for both sides are endless. I agree with WTL that much of the regular season would lose it's zing, except Bama and Auburn, OSU and Michigan and FLA/UGA... However, as a life long football zealot, the BCS has left a bad taste in my mouth more often than it has satisfied me. No mater what system you use someone would be left out, but doing it by conference championship would be the worst, could you imagine a world with only 1 SEC team in the playoffs? I wonder if we couldn't save some of the drama of the regualr season with a small playoff system that would reward say the top six teams only with playoff berths...
Ahh the hell with it I'm just gonna go watch my Superbowl DVD of the NY Football Giants AGAIN!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-08, 08:07 PM   #32
WTL

bamabassman, there is always something to cry about in sports. Or something that people will cry about.

But I will propose this. Currently Bama has 12 national championships. Some claim that some of the older ones don't count because it was "before WW2, or before you played bowl games to determin a champion or before the bcs".

If we start to award the NC to a playoff winner, suddenly those championships in many eyes would be diminished. People would say they are like the pre superbowl NFL championships. So for the sake of Bama, friend, you are against a playoff.
Old 02-10-08, 02:02 AM   #33
bamabassman

ok, ok, ok, i give up. like brushog said. we could go on forever and ever. call me an ol fuddy duddy. cause we in the sec don't now and never will get the consideration we deserve. didn't they say the sec was week these past couple of years? i mean we do send 6 to 8 teams to the bowl games every year. more than any other conference. i just hate the way the "politics" are so biased against the sec and all. lets just agree to dieagree ok? i am just glad the giants beat the pats and knocked them off that pedistal. i am a dolphin fan. and they haven't done nuthing since they forced shula out. maybe bill can get them back on track, hope so. darn it i want spring to get here so i can go fishing. tired of this winter crap. driving me nuts!!! lol
Old 02-10-08, 02:43 AM   #34
Fish4food
BassFishin.Com Member

Two bitter sweet Superbowls in a row.

Tony D get's his ring after getting screwed in Tampa was so nice to see. Nice to see Indy get a championship too. Seeing payton manning get a ring was the worst. One of the most undeserving people.

This year, seeing Randy Moss not get his ring sure made up for those years he was an @__. Seeing eli manning get a ring was the price we paid for that.

Archie Manning was a great player, but, IMO, allowing his children to grow up to be selfish, greedy, I have to go to my team or I'm not going to play, SOB's has tarnished the name.
Fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 02:35 PM   #35
WTL

Its well known in the south that both younger mannings are far from saints and possess some traits that are on the odd side.

Of course there miles better than a ton of NFL players.
Old 02-10-08, 03:23 PM   #36
Fish4food
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, maybe "most" was a little strong. The NFL and NBA have plenty of Gangsta wannabe's and loose cannons. They might be more undeserving.
Old 02-10-08, 03:34 PM   #37
Fish4food
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh, and on the subject of College ball. IMO, college ball has gone down hill since the BSC. It looks like it's permenent too. College sold their soul, and they may never get it back. When the Bowl games started to aquire brand and company names, I started losing interest. A couple years after BCS, I have stopped watching, and spend little time following college ball. I used to watch college ball all the time. College ball is no longer paying for pride, it's about money and recognition.
Old 02-10-08, 08:30 PM   #38
brushhog

You have to go along way to convince me how "undeserving" the Mannings are... While I am no huge fan of Peyton and root for Eli only on the basis of the Jersey he wears, the Mannings are a far cry from the degenerate rabble that populates much of the NFL... I'd need a lot more proof that two guys who excel, well maybe excel is a bit much for Eli, at the toughest position in sports are so "undeserving"....
Old 02-11-08, 10:49 PM   #39
bamabassman

ok,ok,ok. here we go on another tyrant. all i am gonna say is that to me i am glad that 2 guys form the SEC. are the superbowl champs once again. it has been far too long. as i said i am adolphin fan. go fins. lol yea like they have something, lmao.
Old 02-12-08, 12:45 AM   #40
WTL

Before Peyton and Eli, the only superbowl winning QBs from the SEC played for Bama

Starr
Starr
Namath

Actually, the 1st 3 superbowls.
Old 02-12-08, 08:06 AM   #41
brushhog

That is a good piece of trivia, I'm gonna bust that out at work today....
Old 02-12-08, 06:41 PM   #42
WTL

Yeah, most people don't get it cause we are known as a running school. Oh yeah, add Ken Stabler on to that list.
Old 02-12-08, 10:18 PM   #43
bamabassman

wtl you forgot one... stabler. ROLL TIDE!! OOPS YOU REMEMBER. SORRY.
Old 02-14-08, 11:11 AM   #44
Fish4food
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
You have to go along way to convince me how "undeserving" the Mannings are... While I am no huge fan of Peyton and root for Eli only on the basis of the Jersey he wears, the Mannings are a far cry from the degenerate rabble that populates much of the NFL... I'd need a lot more proof that two guys who excel, well maybe excel is a bit much for Eli, at the toughest position in sports are so "undeserving"....
People who put themselves ahead of the team, in a team sport, are undeserving, IMO. Great QB's like Montana, Farve, Elway, etc... lead their teams and did what it took to win. All the Mannings care about are themselves.
Old 02-14-08, 12:33 PM   #45
brushhog

OK. Now we enter that realm of sports discussion that I love so dearly, unsubstantiated claims based on personal opinion...What evidence do you have that all the Manning care about is themselves, other than your personal opinion...Obviously, you are not a fan of the Mannings,and that is OK - that is an opinion. Clearly both the Manning have "done what it takes to win" They both guided Superbowl winning offenses... I'm willing to listen to evidence that suggests they are selfish, or undeserving, but just saying it doesn't make it true...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.