Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-08, 10:16 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Gulp thoughts

With all the pros pushing Gulp products, ie. Mike Ike on City Limits, etc. I was wondering if they were being pushed so hard because Berkley has so much invested in them or they are a sort of secret weapon? I tried the worms and frogs without any luck with either. I've read all the cons about them but do any members find anything good about them?
Old 03-23-08, 10:37 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

they catch fish but i hate how they dry up.
Old 03-23-08, 11:17 PM   #3
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The sinking minnows worked the best for me. The maggots work great for crappie. The other styles didn't do so well. I don't understand why. I noticed some of the worms were kind of dry in the package so be sure to buy some that have moisture in the bag still. When the sinking minnows got torn I'd stuff pieces in tubes and get lots of bites.
Old 03-24-08, 12:17 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

i have caught fish with a sinking minnow on a dropshot and i have caught several fish on a turtle back worm trigged. but like i said they will dry out and shrivel up and i hate that.
Old 03-24-08, 12:38 AM   #5
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Yes, indeed, at $5 a pack it's a little ridiculous. They say on the package not to put them back in the bag, but I have with no problems. But when you forget to take them of the hook after a long day fishing, they turn into a rock that will dull pliers trying to get them off the hook.

I wonder if the Gulp! Alive ones do the same. I think I read that you can put them back in the juice.
Old 03-24-08, 08:06 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've never tried them before so I got a pack of Turtle Back worms when we went to BPS. Not many colors left so I got Green Pumpkin. I haven't used them yet but I can tell you one thing: they smell horrible.

BB
Old 03-24-08, 09:23 AM   #7
Lilmoosecountry

Powerbait = COOL!!! Gulp = GARBAGE!!!
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:54 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01

i am with moose.....i love powerbait but i don't care much for gulp!
Old 03-24-08, 12:33 PM   #9
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I've had excellent success with the 7" Glup! Turlteback Worms on a T-Rig. I also like the Blue Fleck and Chartreuse colors.

-Lunk-
Old 03-24-08, 01:38 PM   #10
Lilmoosecountry

My biggest pet peave with gulp is you can't reuse it. Powerbait on the hook. You get no bites leave it on till you go fishing again. Do that with the gulp product it'll shrivel up like a dried up turd.
Old 03-24-08, 01:44 PM   #11
lunker-lander

Simple - put it back in the package! I never leave my baits out of the water for more than two hours. If I do, I throw a new one on the hook.

-Lunk-
Old 03-24-08, 01:52 PM   #12
Lilmoosecountry

My opinion of gulp & why it shrivels up is simple. It's made that way so they make more money off you. Lunk fishing tournaments many pro's rig up the night before. Besides that i'll work an area with a spinnerbait first. Then i'll come back & clean up an area with a worm. So i alway's want one ready to go. Tournament fishermen are the same. Time is money.
Old 03-24-08, 02:01 PM   #13
lunker-lander

That is a good point, Moose, but have you thought of why they dry up through a scientific perspective? It's simple, really. The baits come in a sort-of 'juice', correct? When the worms are extracted from this 'juice', they lose all abilities to soak-up this juice, in turn letting it out, kind of like a sponge being squeezed. Once the sponge is dry, it has no ability to release anymore liquid, therefore drying-up.

In conclusion, not only does Berkley do this as a means of sales, but rather as a means of helping you catch fish. You use the worms and they dry-up - it's that simple.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "All good thing must come to and end", ?

-Lunk-
Old 03-24-08, 04:51 PM   #14
Lilmoosecountry

You can have that new fangled stuff young man. I just want the good old day's. Manns jelly worms & Fiptail worms sprayed with alittle garlic bang. But you know what they say in fishing. All things old come new again in fishing. So eventully i will have my day in the sun again. Berkley just kills me. They try to disprove all the old way's of fishing as myth's. But the funny question is why did the old way's that did'nt work catch more fish than the berkley way of fishing. HHHHMMMMMM!!!!! Can you say sales Gimic.
Old 03-24-08, 04:56 PM   #15
Lilmoosecountry

Just like the color red sales gimic going on now. That red parts on lures equal blood & that fish are atracted to it. Well infishermen has a whole write up this month on that.
Old 03-24-08, 05:07 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

moose, it shrivels because it has no plastic in it.

BB
Old 03-26-08, 02:55 PM   #17
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I was camping at Lake Barkley State Park when Racoons decided invade my campsite. Needless to say they unziped the food tent and got in it, packed a camping lighter off the picnic table, and had my wife so paranoid that she was ready to go get a cabin, (camping her idea not mine) which made me happy. Those little theives did however get in my boat open up one of the hatches get in a tackle bag and manage to chomp down on 3 bags of GULP turtle back worms!!!! Ate every single one I had. 2 of the bags were unopened. I'm sure they had terrible belly aches trying to pass those things.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 04:13 PM   #18
rodman rat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkelypup View Post
I was camping at Lake Barkley State Park when Racoons decided invade my campsite. Needless to say they unziped the food tent and got in it, packed a camping lighter off the picnic table, and had my wife so paranoid that she was ready to go get a cabin, (camping her idea not mine) which made me happy. Those little theives did however get in my boat open up one of the hatches get in a tackle bag and manage to chomp down on 3 bags of GULP turtle back worms!!!! Ate every single one I had. 2 of the bags were unopened. I'm sure they had terrible belly aches trying to pass those things.

bP
NOW that is funny!!! LMAO I know it was about bait and not funny to you but thanks you made my day!
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 08:08 PM   #19
lizardsrule

Gulp shrimp work outstanding for saltwater, and freshwater for that matter, if it has shrimp. They are not reusable, however one bait will last quite awhile longer than any plastic I've ever used. I do use them and will continue to use them for that purpose. When they first came out I tried the products and wasn't happy at all with them for bass fishing. Now that I do a lot more saltwater fishing the Gulp Shrimp and Crabs have a place in my huge assortment of baits rotfl.

Lizards
Old 03-30-08, 09:29 AM   #20
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I notice that every year I get less bites on Gulp! than the previous years. I don't think the fish are keen to it. It may be because I've been using them all up in the frigid water and they don't disperse the scent so well.

I've caught more catfish on Gulp! than any other type of catfish bait.

Just a couple more Gulp! thoughts...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.