Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-13, 02:20 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
I'd love to have a kayak...
No reason NOT to. You do have to learn to be more selective in your tackle and an 898 would be sufficient for a kayak.

It is a much more relaxed form of fishing, so carrying 15 rods with a different lures tied on isn't really the way to do it. Many rods will perform multi-tasks you just have to take a minute and tie on something rather than pick up a different rod. And for most waters you don't really need 15 rods for a day's fishing. For the Potomac trip that was the origin of this post I took 6 rods and a small tackle bag of plastics and three 3600 size Plano boxes of lures. I used THREE rods, a bag of Rage Toads, and a couple bags of hollow body swim baits over 2 days. I didn't open any of the Plano boxes. I needed a frog rod, a rod for the HBSB and a Senko rod - that was all. I'm going back down in a couple weeks and I will not be taking as much tackle, I've learned I don't need it and to eliminate the excess. It's a BIG change from having the virtual tackle store that is aboard my boat.

Just think about the week at Dale Hollow - I had 19 rods in my locker, how many do you think I picked up during the week? Try FOUR! for the whole week the other 15 never made it out of the rod locker. Tackle? I used a few poppers and a few bags of Senko's, a dozen other lure boxes and 30 pounds of plastic never saw the deck.

For a day of kayak fishing you have to think and prepare a little differently than when you hook up your boat. That can be fun also, it is for me. Planning also enters into a days fishing when you try and decide WHERE you will be fishing also. It's not like a boat and you can run 10 miles or more if you guessed wrong.

Bottom line you need to plan where you are going to go, what presentations and lures will likely work the best there, then load up and hit the water and just have some fun. There is NOTHING like it. I like my boat, but I enjoy the kayak even more.

Oh and as for the HAIRY GIANT - a Hobie PA-14 is rated for 600 pounds and for a "kayak" has a good bit of room. I'm not a little guy and I am comfortable for a full day on the water in mine.

Oh and I just thought of this: I know several guys that TROLL for stripers in a Hobie PA-14 on the Upper Bay, so you could maybe try your planer boards, though I don't think downriggers would be a good idea.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-11-13 at 02:28 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.