Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-12, 11:22 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd View Post
I know that i should (and i am) using flurocarbon line.
FC is not a must, and not always desirable. I usually use it, simply because I don't have a dedicated jerkbait setup and most of my reels have FC on them. If I want it to run shallower, I'll throw it on mono.

Quote:
Do you like to use the larger or smaller jerkbaits?
I keep mine in the 4" range like the LC Pointer 100. Will go with both longer and shorter baits, depending on conditions.

Quote:
Is color an issue?
This is very much personal opinion, but I believe it is to a point. I usually use natural colors. Shad colors, whites, etc. I've got a few that are similar to yellow perch that work well in reservoirs that have them. And LC's Ghost Minnow seems to work well most places.

Quote:
Just how deep is a jerkbait supposed to suspend?
Depends on the jerkbait. You ideally want them to dive to their rated depth and stay there. However, most either slowly sink or slowly float. That all depends on the jerkbait, and water temperature (affects the density of the water).

Quote:
And of course do you have favorites. I keep hearing about the Megabass and Lucky Craft.
As always thanks for your input
LC Pointers are great baits, but there are other great ones out there too. X-raps are good, and have a bit more erratic action. I use then in lakes with pike as to not lose $15 jerkbaits. The Smithwick Suspending Rogue is another of my favorites. Doesn't break the bank, although you may want to swap the hooks.

One more thing to mention, it seems counter intuitive, but next time you're out in what you'd consider jerkbait weather, give a lipless crankbait a try. I've done well on them in early spring.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.