Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-24, 06:00 AM   #1
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Learned something new about leaders

I'm not into using wire leaders with finesse lures just like a fly fisherman wouldn't with trout flies. But a few days ago after getting bit off again by a pickerel, I figured, what the hey, why not use a thin, 3" stainless-steel wire leader on jigs less than 1/8 oz? I've caught a variety of fish on a Beetle Spin, so why not on a leader?

The duo-lock clip is small and takes any size jighead (my forte for all species). As soon as I hit the lake I caught fish, and I'm talking the smallest white perch I ever caught! After that, small sunnies and bass along with decent size crappie, yellow perch and a catfish no less!

48 fish was proof enough that the clip on a thin stainless steele wire did no harm and in fact may have added to the lure's appeal.

I used to mostly target bass, but at 75 I'm happy to feel the stike and anticipation of finding out what's hooked and fighting to get free. You never know before the fish starts fighting what and how big. Using finesse lures on light action rods to catch fish is challenging and now pickerel can not rob me of my lures. (Few pickerel swallow lures like bass and are hooked just inside the lip.)

Large numbers don't mean much in that small fish are counted, but numbers equate to the success of finding fish in a variety of places and then catching them. It gives me an idea of how active fish were in general on that day - photo examples stored in folders on my home pc. Lure design changes are also documented -remaking those that do well - an activity related to fishing when I can't fish.

To me learning and relearning on the water is a big part of fishing and sure as hell beats fishing the same way with the same lures for the same fish year after year.

Last edited by senkosam; 07-29-24 at 06:31 AM.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-24, 09:43 AM   #2
AUFred

I have not tried a leader on light tackle. Where I presently fish I am not aware of toothy fish. I do like fishing with light tackle, like you do.

The water stays very clear where I fish so even 6lb test is visible at times. Catching decent sized bream or small bass on light tackle can make a very fun day. Those occasions when you hook a good fish really gets your heart pumping.

I have found days were I can boat a couple of dozen small beat days when I work hard for 3 decent fish.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-24, 09:15 PM   #3
senkosam

I figured to try the leader/jig combo and dang if I didn't catch fish in the rain.
It's only a guess, but maybe the duo-lock snap attached to the jig allows the jig a bit more action than a knot does tied tight to the line tie.

Last edited by senkosam; 08-02-24 at 09:24 PM.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.