Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-18-13, 12:52 AM   #1
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Boat upgrades

I'm looking to get a Minn kota power pole for my boat along with a structure scan fish finder. The question here is my boat is about 20 years old. Its value is about 4000. Add in the estimated cost of roughly 2000 for accessories and install is it even worth it or should I look into a new boat. I know I'm gonna get a chuckle out of this but, my wife wants me to get a bigger boat anyway. Im just in love with my boat and don't want to get rid of the one I have. But is it realistic to believe I will ever get even close to my money back if I decide to add these to my current boat. I guess I should mention that the boat I have is aluminum lowe bass boat and a 1 owner not including me. Previous owner was a boat dealer. Should I just say forget it and go shopping or stick with what I have.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 06:16 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I'm looking to get a Minn kota power pole for my boat along with a structure scan fish finder. The question here is my boat is about 20 years old. Its value is about 4000. Add in the estimated cost of roughly 2000 for accessories and install is it even worth it or should I look into a new boat. I know I'm gonna get a chuckle out of this but, my wife wants me to get a bigger one anyway. Im just in love with my boat and don't want to get rid of the one I have. But is it realistic to believe I will ever get even close to my money back if I decide to add these to my current boat. I guess I should mention that the boat I have is aluminum lowe bass boat and a 1 owner not including me. Previous owner was a boat dealer. Should I just say forget it and go shopping or stick with what I have.
Certainly a nice problem to have. If you really do love the Lowe and it does everything you need a boat to do then resale value needn't be an issue anyway. Then again I can't imagine any of us wanting to hurt our wifes feelings.(are you sure she said "boat") If you do get a bigger boat later you can remove and reinstall the goodies.
Old 03-18-13, 01:25 PM   #3
lilmule

Yeah if you like it stick with it,can always move it to another boat,im upgrading to from a 17 1/2 to a 19 ft stratos,moving everything.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 08:24 PM   #4
Hoosier

Good plan my thoughts were that if I do get a new boat I'll make sure that these are all ready on it but I love my boat so I may just make the choice of adding them on my current rig.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 07:03 AM   #5
lilmule

Ive had the same manual jackplate on four boats,then later a hydraulic on three different ones who says you cant take it with you.
Im buying a stratos 19 ft boat without a motor and electrics mine go over on it,while rated for a 200 150 should push it ok here on rough as a cob ky lake where its seldom calm enough to plane out full.My dilemma is do I put the yammer on it,or one of the two omc on it.Yes have to many motors and soon one to many boats.Anyone need either?
If you need a 140-150 ive got it,boatless can put you in one cheap.
Old 03-20-13, 10:14 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You shouldn't look at getting accessories as a value thing. If your just getting the accessories to add value to you boat then your fighting a losing battle. If your making these investments to help you catch more fish then the value of your boat doesn't mean anything. I say if your style of fishing would benefit from adding the Minn Kota Talons or Power Poles and you can afford it, then go for it.
Old 03-21-13, 08:52 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i ahve to agree with kory on this one. now take my rig for example. i bought it 6 yrs (?, don't really remember how long i have had it now that i am thinking about it,lolago, paid top dollar for it as the market was high when i got it. it is a 1997 CAJUN 21' travis edition, 200 hp johnson venom, 97 also. it now has an 82# thrust trolling motor (had a 56# thrust, too small really) a couple of OLD sonars on it.

this rig is not TRULY worth much today compaired to what i paid for it. maybe half if i am lucky. BUT, my point is this.....i don't plan on selling it...EVER. why? i don't see where i am ever going to be able to afford a NEWER rig for one. if i could go out and buy another boat, it would be a PHEONIX. and i ain't ever gonna have 60-70 grand to sink in a rig like that before i die. SO....i WANT to and HOPE to restore the rig i have. RESTORE, meaning take off the cap and COMPLETLY redo EVERYHTING from the ground up. how much will this cost? i don't know for sure, IF i do it myself i KNOW i will save myself a few grand. if i pay someone else to do it, i was TOLD around 10-15 grand. so there i have 10 grand or so in what will pretty much BE a brand new rig. could i ever sell it for that? NO WAY!!! but i will have the pride in knowing that my rig is JUST as new and reliable as any boat on the water. i have another hull i am wanting to learn on right now. jsut been waiting for our money problems to get under control so i can finish extending my shop so i can do it.

now adding all the newest gizmos out there to what i have is ONE reason for me wanting to do the restoration. so if i restore my rig, add all the newest add-ons....my rig will still be worth half of what i paid for it.

understand what i mean buddy?

but my last years as a fisherman will be spent knowing that i have no trouble when it comes to being confident tha tmy rig is not going to fail me, like i do now. now i have issues with wiring, electronics, trolling motor (broke steering cable right now) and so on and so forth. but she still floats, hahaha!! still runs good.....so i am STILL out there fishing. well, not right NOW, but as soon as i get the cable i WILL BE, HAHAHAHA!!!
Old 03-21-13, 09:30 PM   #8
nobass

i have to agree with kory and bama . i have a 98 lowes 180. bought it use 7 yrs ago. i have upgrade my electronics, trolling motor.. put a new engine on it old 90 evinrude had pistons go out twice. put a o8 75 hp e tec on it new 2 1/2 years ago. have redone the wiring all new bildge and livewell pumps i want to recarpet it and upgrade seats.. i will retire in one year. i plan on using the boat as my funeral pire. love boat . it severs me well and the money i save on not buying new one more than pays for anything i want to do to boat. i will never get wahat its worth to me if i did trade. will leave it to my son when i can no longer fish. so i say keep the old as long as you can add what you want if you put it on you can take it off. if you have boat fever buy new and get the way you want it up to you. just my two cents
Old 03-22-13, 02:09 AM   #9
lilmule

All I get any more are older well used boats,just brought an 85 stratos home,19 ft,1250 lbs,bare boat one of my motors going on it with my electronics etc.

As for the funeral pyre ill pass for a bit,plan on living forever and making a plain pest out of myself.Ps ill be the one in the 25-30 year old boat that passes you,and while might not have a lot of weight always in the weigh in line,5 T now for 5 weighed in.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-22-13 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-23-13, 01:04 AM   #10
champman

Default upgrades

I have a 1989 CHAMPION 184 DC. I resently installed a minn kota 101, a humminbird 898 si, a humminbird di, a resest trolling motor pedal tray cost $75.00 along with some other modern items. My point, the boat is payed for, it runs great and I don't think I could sell her if I wanted to. By adding a few new things it is up to date with the new boats, but it didn't cost $40,000. Plus I'm sure the fish don't know or care how old your boat is. Just saying. Bill
champman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.