Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-11, 07:58 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Here we go again!!! grrrr

Another blizzard is forcast for the entire mid section of the states, and my area is forecast to take the brunt of it. With the blizzard plus the lake effect snowfall we get off Lake Michigan, we're forecast to recieve 27 inches of snow tuesday-wednesday with 50-60 mph winds with higher gusts. This is on top of the 12 inches we currently have remaining on the ground. Plus there is more snow expected for the comming weekend and again next week. It's bad enough here at home, but then I'm part of the snow removal crew at work as well. Man I can't wait till spring!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-11, 08:42 AM   #2
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

I know how you feel Keith. We've been getting hit pretty bad here in NJ, but not as bad as you though. I'm part of the snow removal crew where I work too. Do you at least get some overtime for snow removal?

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 09:15 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

So Keith I'm guessing you're not a skier?

Did ya see Tred Barta this morning? Fishing in Steamboat Springs,Colorado - for trout, in the WINTER, in a wheelchair, in a SNOW STORM, with 40 MPH winds, with a #1 weight fly rod, 2# test. Just proves you can fish ANYTIME, but sometimes it does require you to be just slightly insane.

Oh, we're also in a Winter Storm Warning for the next two days!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 11:58 AM   #4
WatterBoy

WSW for us through today also, but only supposed to get about 1/4 of what keithdog is in for and 1/2 the wind speeds, so we're gettin' off easy!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 11:59 AM   #5
MIbasser

Bring it! I'm ready (well, if I can make it to the local ski hill).....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 02:00 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bring on the snow. If my classes are cancelled wednesday, it'll move my Anthropology exam back from the 9th to the 14th!

Since last night, I've heard anything from 4" up to about 18" for our area tomorrow night.

BB
Old 01-31-11, 03:43 PM   #7
3dkicker

And you thought you had a lot of snow!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	6206  
Old 01-31-11, 03:46 PM   #8
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Another blizzard is forcast for the entire mid section of the states, and my area is forecast to take the brunt of it. With the blizzard plus the lake effect snowfall we get off Lake Michigan, we're forecast to recieve 27 inches of snow tuesday-wednesday with 50-60 mph winds with higher gusts. This is on top of the 12 inches we currently have remaining on the ground. Plus there is more snow expected for the comming weekend and again next week. It's bad enough here at home, but then I'm part of the snow removal crew at work as well. Man I can't wait till spring!!!!!!!!!
Keith , I too drive a snow plow. 12 -16 hour shifts. It does suck to be out in this weather all the time. This winter has been unusually bad.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 06:43 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

We are supposed to get 12-14 inches here and I am hoping they miss it. They have missed the two previous snows we were supposed to get hammered with so maybe it will be 80 degrees and sunny instead lol.
Old 01-31-11, 07:26 PM   #10
rrw4258

Well were supposed to get around 10" or so here, with up to 1/2" of ice... fun, fun, fun.

Ryan
Old 01-31-11, 07:33 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ecss View Post
I know how you feel Keith. We've been getting hit pretty bad here in NJ, but not as bad as you though. I'm part of the snow removal crew where I work too. Do you at least get some overtime for snow removal?

Dave
No, cheep sun of a guns just let me go home early. Another grrrrr
Old 01-31-11, 07:36 PM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Keith , I too drive a snow plow. 12 -16 hour shifts. It does suck to be out in this weather all the time. This winter has been unusually bad.
Another guy does the plowing, I get stuck with the shovel and snow blower. haha
Old 01-31-11, 08:24 PM   #13
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

We've already got some ice...I'm so pukin' sick of this weather.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 08:55 PM   #14
bamabassman

sorry my northern brethren, here in the NORTHEAST corner of alabama, we are gonna go from 63 degrees (today) down to 37 or so wednesday. flurries here. which is like ya'lls blizzard to us. again.......how do you guys stand it?!?! no way man.........no way.
Old 01-31-11, 09:28 PM   #15
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I miss the snow... I honestly do. My area of Northwest FL is due for their "once every 20 year" snows any winter now.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 09:34 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
sorry my northern brethren, here in the NORTHEAST corner of alabama, we are gonna go from 63 degrees (today) down to 37 or so wednesday. flurries here. which is like ya'lls blizzard to us. again.......how do you guys stand it?!?! no way man.........no way.
Before you get to braggin, let me remind you that you have had more cold and snow than we have had this winter. Of course we will probably make up for it over the next month though.
Old 01-31-11, 11:43 PM   #17
keithdog

My wife just called and the hospital where she works is calling a code white in the morning. Which means no employees are allowed to leave the hospital untill the code is lifted which could be a couple days. All three shifts are required to show up and plan on staying. No one has a clue what they are going to do with all those employees around. There are not enough chairs, cots and beds for everyone. And there isn't enoough parking spaces for everyone to park their rides without parking up and down the side streets. Won't that be nice when all those nurses have to dig out their cars from the mounds of snow that have been pushed up against the cars by the snow plows and the drifts from 60mph winds. I wonder if they'll even be able to find their cars. Sheesh!
Old 02-01-11, 01:32 AM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
My wife just called and the hospital where she works is calling a code white in the morning. Which means no employees are allowed to leave the hospital untill the code is lifted which could be a couple days. All three shifts are required to show up and plan on staying. No one has a clue what they are going to do with all those employees around. There are not enough chairs, cots and beds for everyone. And there isn't enoough parking spaces for everyone to park their rides without parking up and down the side streets. Won't that be nice when all those nurses have to dig out their cars from the mounds of snow that have been pushed up against the cars by the snow plows and the drifts from 60mph winds. I wonder if they'll even be able to find their cars. Sheesh!
Man that's gonna suck! It would be tempting to call a cab for a ride to work just so you don't have to worry about it. We are supposed to get up to 16" now and as much as 20" in some places, with the high winds we will have some big drifts as well. Lake will finally get to play in the snow I guess.
Old 02-01-11, 01:51 AM   #19
CMorg

Quote:
Do you work for the state ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 08:16 AM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Man I feel for you. I'ts almost 90° in Singapore daily, record lows this week for sure.
Old 02-01-11, 08:22 AM   #21
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Do you work for the state ?
No, I work for a mom and pop family owned business.
Old 02-01-11, 10:51 AM   #22
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Keith, I'm sorry to hear that. We get overtime for snow removal and I've been getting tons of it this year. We work 16 hour shifts. The money is nice, but it stinks being away from my family so much.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 12:08 PM   #23
Abbeysdad

Keith - I hear ya dog, it's like that around here too in Central New York.
REDRUM, REDRUM, REDRUM

Bama, it's all in what you grow up with. As a youngster, we had serious snow in winters with the occasional all out noreaster blizzard! 8 foot snow banks in the blizzard of 66!
Had a few others since then too. But all in all, the winter snowfall the last few years has been less around here - I think the snow belt shifted north... speaking of north, those folks also get a fair amount of lake effect from Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
Thank goodness fer all wheel drive and just stayin home when it's real bad. On the up side, we grew up drivin in the snow so it's just another day most of the time (unlike folks in other places where a couple of inches is crippling and those that do drive don't always do very well!)
Old 02-01-11, 04:39 PM   #24
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Thank goodness fer all wheel drive and just stayin home when it's real bad. On the up side, we grew up drivin in the snow so it's just another day most of the time (unlike folks in other places where a couple of inches is crippling and those that do drive don't always do very well!)
You are totally correct about the people who have never learned to drive on snow and ice. On the rare occasions when it snows here in NC, any accumulation on the roads tends to shut the whole world down. Schools, churches, and many businesses close down completely. Still there's always a few hardy souls with AWD who like to get out and cruise around. What many of them don't realize is, they can go fine in the snow, but they can't stop all that well, which leads to problems when they're zipping along at 45 mph.

Several years ago we had an ice storm - the worst case IMO. Freezing rain had built up on the roadways, and it was slick as ... well, ice. My workplace had let us go early, and I headed for home. Soon I did a 360 right there on level ground. No harm done, I didn't hit anything. After that I was creeping along in low gear, doing about 15 mph. This lady in her AWD vehicle came up close behind me and I could see her gritting her teeth because I was going so slow. Eventually we came to this long downhill stretch, with a bridge at the bottom. I could see several vehicles that were crossways in the highway, and one appeared to have hit the bridge rail. So I pulled part-way off the road at the top of the hill, and the impatient lady whipped around me and headed down the slope. When she was about half way down, I saw her brake lights come on. It seemed like she actually sped up at that point. She slid right into the vehicles on the bridge. I stayed there long enough to see her get out, which indicated she was not hurt, and I thought about walking down to ask her if she had learned anything. I was able to find an alternate route, thankfully.
HarveysMinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 06:35 PM   #25
keithdog

Well, it's here and snowin to beat all. The forecast as of now is 20-27 inches from the main storm, and another 14 inches from lake effect snow. With 50 mph winds expected, this could get interresting.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.