Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-09, 10:19 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Exclamation I hate computers! Help needed.

Ok, yesterday, I went to get on my computer, and clicked the mouse to bring it out of sleep mode like I normally would. The computer came out of sleep mode, but the monitor did not...

Now I can turn the monitor on, but it automatically goes back into sleep mode like it would if the computer was still asleep...

I called my cousin (who works for Dell) and he was stumped. But he gave me a few suggestions. He said hook the monitor up to our laptop via an Analog cable since there isn't a plug for the digital cable on the laptop. The monitor worked fine, so I assumed something is with the tower...

So, I try the analog cable to connect the tower to the monitor. After I rebuted, it came on like it should except, the screen was really weird and it said an error had occured (maybe it was since I turned the computer on and off so many times, I don't know). It ran through a startup repair, then restarted itself. Then it went through the booting up cycle about 4 times . then it brought me to a thing that said start windows normally or start in safe mode. I started it in safe mode.

My question, after that long and probably boring story is, can the digital cable go bad? (the computers only like 3 yrs old (I know, ancient in the computer world)) My cousin said he doubted anything was wrong with the cable, but it's still possible I guess.

When I plug the digital cable back in and switch the monitor back to the digital setting, it immediately goes back into sleep mode like it doesn't the know the computer is on...

One more question, will the digital connection give me a better picture than the analog? because the picture does seem to be weird, and I don't know if there is something wrong or if it's just because I'm using the analog connection.

Thanks for the help,
BB
the TI guy (technically impaired)
Old 07-22-09, 10:41 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok, so is the computer working ok now, just the monitor isn't, or what? If the computer is in safe mode, it's not going to act like it normally does. If you reboot in normal mode, what happens?
What I'm getting to is this, I guess; if your computer runs through the reboot process 4 times in a row on its own, there's something wrong there, not just the monitor or the cable or the connections or whatever.
Yes, the digital cable will most likely give you a better picture than the analog.
Old 07-22-09, 10:45 AM   #3
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Ok, so is the computer working ok now, just the monitor isn't, or what? If the computer is in safe mode, it's not going to act like it normally does. If you reboot in normal mode, what happens?
What I'm getting to is this, I guess; if your computer runs through the reboot process 4 times in a row on its own, there's something wrong there, not just the monitor or the cable or the connections or whatever.
Yes, the digital cable will most likely give you a better picture than the analog.
Hard to diagnose your problem over the internet, 144. However, one question...do you have a Surge Suppresor? After you get your puter fixed, I would look into buying one. Even a cheap one will help clean up your power. This incident has voltage spike written all over it.
Old 07-22-09, 10:59 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Alright, in safe mode, the computer is on, the monitor is on, just nothing works (only key things work with safe mode, correct?) I'm restarting right now and going to try to start it normally.

When rebooting, the startup screen that says DELL has grey vertical bars over it, then it goes to an erroe pade that has 00 00 00 00 00 covering the whole pagem then to a blue error screen, then to the start in safe mode or normal start page. i hit normal start this time.

then it took me back to the DELL startup page, then the blue error and them the normal or safe mode page... ugh...

No fear, there a surge protector, which all the computer stuff, tower, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc are hooked to.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 10:59 AM   #5
cassidyta

Can you elaborate when you say the screen "Came up weird". Your monitor may be fine, but your refresh rate is not working for the standard VGA connection.
Even though the screen did not come on, did it flicker, or did the power light change color when you rebooted? This would tell me that it was receiving a signal, just not one that it could convert into a display.
What is the type and model of both the computer and the monitor? Since the monitor will not come on in digital, I would suspect that the settings could be changed in either the BIOS or the OS that are causing it. Cables generally do not go bad as quickly as the the monitor itself or the video card. (Is your DVI a different video card than the VGA?)

I can shoot you a PM with a phone number if you want some troubleshooting help.
Old 07-22-09, 11:00 AM   #6
cassidyta

by blue error screen, do you mean the windows blue sceen of death? Bright blue with a bunch of white letters?
Old 07-22-09, 11:08 AM   #7
BigBassin144

cass, I understood probably half the word in your first, post. Remember, technilogically impaired.

And I don't know about the blue screan of death. I got it once before, and it was black with grey letters, it's only been blue since I've been using the analog. It's got some stuff which I couldn't read before it went away. But it did say something about dumping physical memory and rebooting.

My cousin is who we bought the computer through and he said they'll come out to our house and fix it if needed.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 11:16 AM   #8
cassidyta

Sorry there BB144, I have a habit of going over techie from time to time.
If it was dumping physical memory and rebooting, then yes it is a blue screen of death. I suspect that it is an internal problem with either the video card, motherboard or the computer's memory.
Old 07-22-09, 11:23 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Is this going to be a hard or expensive fix? or should I just call Dell and have them come out and fix it? I do have tech support from my aunt, uncle, and cousin (who all live in Texas) cause they're all good with computers and are normally who we call.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 11:24 AM   #10
doc

have you recently made any changes to your display settings? mainly Refresh rate? if so start there, if not i agree with Cass on the internal problem, video card, or mb.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 11:26 AM   #11
BigBassin144

I don't know what the refresh rate is, but I haven't made any changes to the display settings, so I'd say no.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 11:29 AM   #12
doc

If you have xp a quick way to fix it if it was a settings issue is to use system restore, and restore it to a time when it worked properly.

Seeing how it runs in safe mode makes me think its a settings issue, but it could still be your video card. Do you know if you have onboard video or a dedicated card?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 11:34 AM   #13
BigBassin144

I've got Vista. And it did do a startup repair where it said it was restoring it to a time is worked properly, but I guess it didn't work...

As for the card, I don't know, sorry.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 11:47 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Hey guys, my dad just called me and said he's got work for me, so I'm leaving here soon. Thanks for the help so far, I'll try go answer any more questions later tonight.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 12:28 PM   #15
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you are getting a physical memory reboot error 95% of the time it's the memory cards (RAM)...it may also be what is causing your monitor to act differently. I have fixed this issue numerous times by just removing the RAM cards, blowing out dust in and around the slots that hold the ram and putting the cards back into place. Do you know how to remove your RAM memory cards? It is very simple..this video might help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B9ff9ei7hk

Just be sure that your machine is completely turned off and unplugged before you start tearing her open, also after you shut your machine down and have it unplugged, hold down the power button on the front of your tower for about 30 seconds to drain any excess power from the power unit...

I would bet dollars to doughnuts this fixes your issue
Old 07-22-09, 12:37 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Have you tried plugging in a different monitor? That would at least tell you if the problem was with the monitor or your computer. First place to start.
Old 07-22-09, 01:03 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Sorry there BB144, I have a habit of going over techie from time to time.
If it was dumping physical memory and rebooting, then yes it is a blue screen of death. I suspect that it is an internal problem with either the video card, motherboard or the computer's memory.
motherboard would be my guess...pull out da gun and shoot it cause it done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've got Vista.

BB
right der is 1/2 your problem..

zooker
Old 07-22-09, 04:16 PM   #18
JB

its your graphic card brother, grey lines on the monitor is almost always the symptom that shows a new or better graphics card is needed. Open up the tower and it looks like a circuit board that plugs in, can run as much as sixty bucks. At least the pc;s I've worked on that have the same problem you mentioned , a new card and its fixed like new.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 04:57 PM   #19
BigBassin144

JB, that makes sense and could explain why only the anolog plug is working. Do I have to order one or can I pick one up at Best Buy, Radioshack, etc?

Will I need to know the model or age of the computer or something?

jason, If JB's suggestion doesn't work, I'll give that a try.

Zook, I knew someone was going to say something about vista. I honestly don't see what's so bad about it, but then again, I don't do much on the computer except the internet, school work, and a bit of gaming.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 05:04 PM   #20
BigBassin144

scratch that, I got it out.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 05:31 PM   #21
cassidyta

I would suggest going with Jason's idea first since there is no added cost.
I will tell you that it can be one of several things, so be carefull at going out and buying one thing (new video card). If you do not get a similar model, you can find that it is not compatable with what you are running.
If your computer is a name brand, then it should have a diagnostic that you can run. Most models will require you to push the F12 or similar key when it boots up to engage that feature. If you have a diagnostic, then I would run it first.
Old 07-22-09, 05:51 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Ok, I tried what Jason recommended, but it did the same thing.

The start up page with grey vertical lines, then the blue screen of death with purple vertical lines, then the safe mode/normal reboot page. When it reboots in safe mode, there are multicolored vertical lines on the page where you select a user, but they are very opaque and hard to see.

I guess this leaves me with getting a new graphics card. Do I need to get anything special? I'll save the receipt and packaging incase it doesn't work, maybe I can take it back.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 10:11 PM   #23
66KingFisher

Yep....i'm puttin my money on a bad graphics card be yer problem.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 01:16 AM   #24
cassidyta

Since you mentioned Dell, the first thing to do is to go to this site
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...n&s=gen&~ck=mn

once you are on there, it will prompt you to enter the serial number of your tower. This will tell you if the machine is still under waranty at all. Depending on the waranty, Dell may send a tech to replace the part or ship you a new one in a box. They even pay to ship the old one back.

Even if it is not under waranty, you can click on original configuration and get a model number of the current video card.
Old 07-25-09, 04:11 PM   #25
BigBassin144

Hey guys, I wanted to thank you again for all the help. I bought and installed a new graphic's card today and it's working wonderfully!

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.