Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-10, 10:41 PM   #1
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Weird braid encounter on spinning reel?

I have recently been facing some weird braid issues on my spinning reel.
The braid does not wind on properly and most of the line is on the back of the spool and not evenly winded on.It is not because of washers or anything like that because with monofilament as the main line it does not do this.Is something wrong or is there something I am missing?

Reel:symetre 3000fj
backing:10lb ande mono
Line:10lb power pro/sufix braid.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 07:23 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If this is when you are spooling the reel, then it probably is the washers. Take the spool off and remove some.

If it is while you're fishing, it is most likely because you're retrieving the lure on a slack line. I have this problem with fishing wacky rigs when I lift the bait up, then reel in the slack. Every one in a while, make a long cast, and just reel the bait in. This should return the slack line towards the bottom of the spool back up where it should be.

BB
Old 10-29-10, 09:46 AM   #3
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Its when I first try to spool up line on the reel.
Why would the washers affect the braid wind shape and not when I am using monofilament?
Its probably does have something do with the washers.
Old 10-29-10, 04:27 PM   #4
BigBassin144

It may have something to do with how the braid lays due to it's thin diameter. 10lb braid has the diameter of 4lb mono. So it's much thinner and limper than the 10lb mono that you has spooled before.

BB
Old 10-29-10, 07:36 PM   #5
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekevster View Post
Its when I first try to spool up line on the reel.
Why would the washers affect the braid wind shape and not when I am using monofilament?
Its probably does have something do with the washers.
I have no idea why braid would spool unevenly but mono goes on right. What happens with the uneven braid when you have a lure attached and let out the line, then retrieve with normal resistance of the lure? Does the line right itself?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 08:18 PM   #6
Tavery5

I may be off base, but It seems like it may have something to do with the dia. of the backing vs the dia. of the line you are laying down. I would put a layer or two of tape over the backing and try laying it down on top of it. Just a thought.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 08:48 AM   #7
bassboogieman

Are you spooling braid directly or with a backing line first? If spooling braind directly you may be having some slippage of the braid on the spool, resulting in uneven tension when winding (especially when starting) it on causing the uneven layering on the spool.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 12:19 PM   #8
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I may be off base, but It seems like it may have something to do with the dia. of the backing vs the dia. of the line you are laying down. I would put a layer or two of tape over the backing and try laying it down on top of it. Just a thought.
I will give that a shot but what kind of tape?
Another thing to note is the braid starts winding at the bottom of the spool and you can see the monofilament at the very top for almost the entire time while spooling up until eventually a little bit of braid covers it up.Also as well my friend has a older shimano stradic and with the same 10lb Ande mono it spooled up just fine perfectly smooth wind.So I honestly dont know.
Old 10-30-10, 12:36 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Are you applying pressure to the line while spooling? I run my line through a phone book to ensure I have enough pressure.

If you are, I'd remove a washer or two. Then tie the line to something where you have enough space to walk back far enough to get down to the backing. The wind it back up, applying tension with the rod.

I do this a couple time per year with my reels with braid on them to keep the braid wound tightly on the spool. This helps prevent the line from digging in as well.

BB
Old 10-30-10, 04:22 PM   #10
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekevster View Post
I will give that a shot but what kind of tape?
Another thing to note is the braid starts winding at the bottom of the spool and you can see the monofilament at the very top for almost the entire time while spooling up until eventually a little bit of braid covers it up.Also as well my friend has a older shimano stradic and with the same 10lb Ande mono it spooled up just fine perfectly smooth wind.So I honestly dont know.
You can use regular masking tape, or electrical tape. I don't know if it makes much difference. Someone else may be able to give better advice on what type of tape to use.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 12:48 PM   #11
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Are you applying pressure to the line while spooling? I run my line through a phone book to ensure I have enough pressure.

If you are, I'd remove a washer or two. Then tie the line to something where you have enough space to walk back far enough to get down to the backing. The wind it back up, applying tension with the rod.

I do this a couple time per year with my reels with braid on them to keep the braid wound tightly on the spool. This helps prevent the line from digging in as well.

BB

What I normally do is use my fingers to apply the tension while I am reeling.I also put the line through the first line guide on the rod.
I will go get some more braid and try it again and let you know what is going on.
Old 11-04-10, 09:53 AM   #12
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Some times the knot connecting the backing and braid can cause issues if it's bulky. Try an Albright and trim the tags close.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.