Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-05, 06:55 AM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default And I thought fishing was exspensive

Well I just had to get my Bow out this year. It's been 5-6 years since I've actually hunted with it But with zooker's post of his deer, and a couple of friends talking about it, I just got the bug again. I knew I needed new sights, and too be perfectly honest, other than shooting it somewhat decently, I don't know much about Bows. I have a "Martin" Bow, and took it to a local whitetail place to have it looked at and a good going over. Well of course I need just about everything, from sights, to rest, to steel cables, string rewrapped, and of course I need some new CARBON arrows, and some broadheads. And oh I forgot about the glide for the string Anyway it was supposed to be ready yesterday , but when I called that's when I found out about the cables, because of the sights, they needed to be replaced . Anyway I don't have the final bil yet, but I'm guessing about $400 for all the work, and equipment . Well I guess I better start using it. I have lost touch with the costs of bows, and maintaining them. So this was a shock. I was sitting there talking with the guy, and come to find out my bow is kinda a dinosaur nowadays, so I had to upgrade it or buy a new one. The cheapest ones he had were $450, and that didn't include the arrows, for around $80 a dozen, or the broadheads. I realize I could find all this stuff cheaper probably somewhere else, but he was reccommended, by a friend. And after I got it all, I would have to do all the work, and probably screw it all up. So now I gotta practice shooting it, and start scouting. My buddie said he'd go hunting on some public ground this year, so we are going to give it a shot. The reason I haven't hunted in ssoo looooonnnnngggg is I lost the place I had to hunt. Do to it being sold. I have a fear of public hunting, because of the crazy, psyco, idiots they allow out there. But since I want to hunt, I have to go public. I am looking forward to getting some venison myself.

Lizards
Old 08-30-05, 08:22 AM   #2
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Liz,
Did you get a new bow or do you still have the Martin? Couldn't tell from the post. I just got a new one myself. I got the Hoyt UltraMag. I used to have the MTSport, but I out grew it. Its draw and pull weight were maxed out. So We traded it in, and got this one. I also got a half dozen Beman ICS Carbon Hunters. I took my old HHA fiber optic sight off my old bow, along with the NAP Quicktune Micro 3000 rest. I am shooting close to 300-305 FPS. I have her dialed in at 20 and 25 yards. Made a kill with it too, damn groundhogs LOL. I use the NAP Thunderheads also. I want to convert to Muzzy, but These fly nice, and I ain't never shot a Muzzy. Anyways, now ya got to look into Camo, A treestand, Calls, and A license. LOL, It is expensive, but it is my true passion.
Old 08-30-05, 06:30 PM   #3
zooker

i used to hunt thick cut over's with a bow. the thicker the better. belive it or not i shot that buck on the ground straight through cudzu at 8 yards. my bow -which i still have- is and onidea screaming eagle. set at 80 pounds 60% let off. i use carbon arrows from cabela's -there cheaper-. muzzy 130 grain 4 blade heads. i am shooing a over draw-vapor trail- so even my long arms have it down to 28" shafts. my arrow speed was like 384 fps. and have killed deer with this set up at 50 yards.
i thing i will always preach about is crosshair sites i have a cobra sight -which are hard to get-it has 6 crosshairs and is rather good at letting you see your target and every thing between you and it. remember i hunt thick cover and i need to see a twig between me and the deer. the reason i like this bow is it makes very little noise. i hate the spider legs silencer's perfuring the pom pom types. and the rubber vibrater thingy's that go on the limbs. i use a release by quick shot.i have to demand vanes here in the south i hate feathers with a passion. i dislike any mechanical opening broadheads. i have used them and they almost never opened i lost a few deer cause of this the muzzy's last a long time just get replacemeny bladesand tips and you are good to go.
i have hunted many years in ny with a recurve i can and have shot this bow with bare fingers..never know when you are going to have a doh! morning and leave the release in the truck..

here the season opens early sept-sept 10-every year. i normally check the weather as to what to wear i have a massive camo colletion. if it is going to rain or has been raining i like tiger stripe- old nam camo- almost never wear any thing in a brown mix till the leaves start to turn. also like the new hardwoods green real tree. the max4 is good later in the season when the leaves are coming down. the 3 d stuff is good as long as you are hunting open woods or a place with out briars as the lil pieces tend to hang up on every lil thing.
i buy 45% of my camo at delks army navy surplus. the only other type camo i buy has one name on it. columbia which are NOT cheap but worth every penny and i will swear buy them. as for boats i was born unlucky and have large feet -size 17- i can wear a 16. i buy herman surviver's at wally world for 70 bucks they last a couple of years. i can not wear rocky's they just don't fit.one thing i can tell you is this pvc knee boots are great scent free things just do not wear them hunting when the tree is wet. wet bark and pvc knee boots are an accident waiting to happen. ask my bro 25 feet is a LONG way to fall. as lizard will tell any one who will listen mickey mouse boots are the hands down best boot to wear in cold weather but rather cumbersome to be honest.i also agree though they are cumbersome and will eat the hair off your lower ankle area they are warm -used to ice fish with them-

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 08-30-05 at 06:52 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-05, 07:44 PM   #4
lizardsrule

PB,

I kept the Martin, it was top of the line 15 years ago when I bought it and it will kill any deer in the woods. As for the camo, boots, license, stand, etc... I have it all already. I have tree pegs, tree climber stand(it's a heavy sob though). Anyway I've hunted a long time, and still do pheasant/chucker/quail hunt every year. I used to deer hunt, all season long, which is the first of oct-dec, for bow and all the guns and muzzleloader season. I don't own a muzzleloader, so I would go with my bow, which is allowed. I have a lifetime hunting and fishing license, so my first deer is free so to speak. Anyway I have hunted a bunch and will continue to as long as I can. I however don't hunt anything I don't eat. So I don't hunt duck's or geese, or squirrels, or coons. I will rabbit hunt though, they taste like chicken YUM. I would like to turkey hunt sometime, but that's won't happen until next year at the earliest. And I would probably like to hog hunt down in FL with my dad. I may be going to MO this year dear hunting with my brother in-law at the same place we pheasant hunt. That reminds me I gotta go check about licenses right now, see ya.

Lizards
Old 08-30-05, 08:42 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
set at 80 pounds 60% let off. i use carbon arrows from cabela's -there cheaper-. muzzy 130 grain 4 blade heads. i am shooing a over draw-vapor trail- so even my long arms have it down to 28" shafts. my arrow speed was like 384 fps.

zooker
Dang MONGO, why not just punch them in the jaw and knock them out LMAO
for those who don't know it's a Blazing Saddles reference.

Lizards
Old 08-30-05, 08:46 PM   #6
PowerBass

I hope to shoot around 75 in about 2 years
Old 08-30-05, 09:38 PM   #7
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ill just stick to fishin. Lol
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-05, 11:20 AM   #8
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

454 come on now............... Its fun as hell.............. I got a PSE Spider that I have had since I was 12. I am gonna get 2 inches added to the draw length. Its set on about 55 pound draw weight which is to easy. My dad was talkin about doing something to it to crank it up to about 65. Its on its maximum weight but think he said add a ring or something in it. I dont know what he is talking about. Anybody know what he ment....................
Old 09-07-05, 02:58 PM   #9
WTL

I went through an archery phase a while back, never went hunting but was thinking about getting back into it. Lizards I think your boy was trying to sell you some stuff at the shop, its all like tackle you can buy the newest rods and reels but as long as you can cast accuratly you can catch fish. I think the whole carbon arrows thing is a bit overrated too, as well as these bows which are so short that you can't use a finger release to save your life. I have a bear deer hunter bow, a cheap model, but when set up to 65 pounds with 2219 eastons a few years ago I was dead on out to 30 yds, and thats what matters, hitting the target quietly.

Hey zook, is that oneida one of those funny looking models? How do you like it, and how does it compare to a typical compound bow?
Old 09-07-05, 05:33 PM   #10
zooker

yeah wtl it is one of those funny looking things. it is very heavy-roughly 8 pounds with all attachments-if rigged right very quite and super smooth. think compound recurve. it is very big with a 46" tip to tip lenth my brother shoots a parker nice bow light and short no way is it smooth -like dragging a log acrossed gravel-on the draw.he can't jack his up to 80 pounds but shoots his at 75 pounds with 80% let off. but with me my style of shooting is something to be hold. remember i used to shoot a 70 pound martian recurve that never seen let off. when i feel the kisser button hit my face i hit the release and it is gone. i DON'T hold it. i have pretty much shoot every game critter on the east coast with a bow inculding turkey -think deer are tough-

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.