Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-11, 03:30 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Trailer tire -

As many of those that attended Wheeler know, I had a couple tires go out on me on the way home. One was a new trailer tire, new with about 1000 miles on it. I had bought a new trailer a month ago and it came with an off brand, Chinese made tire that I probably would have never bought had I had a choice. I don't have much faith in any product produced in China intended for the USA marketplace. That's my opinion, everyone is free to choose what product fits their budget and personal preferences. I'm posting the following pictures, not to bash a particular tire brand, but to share my experience, you digest the content and make your choices. This may have happened to any brand tire, but I haven't had problems, of this nature, with other brands of tire.

As mentioned this was a NEW tire, not a couple years old (trailer tires tend to degrade and weaken over several years of use) and with little wear. I do not think I hit any debris in the roadway (Interstate 40 E, outside Knoxville, TN.) Speed limit on this roadway was 70 MPH and I was traveling on cruise control at just under that. I was in the upper 80's temperture wise and I think the tire failed due to overheating. Tire pressure was at recommended level, and it just seperated - tread from sidewall.

I heard it go, and saw the tread fly off in like a donut. Luckily no vehicle was following or attempting to pass in the left lane, or it would have been additional damage to another person's vehicle. I was also lucky I have a tandem axle trailer, the other tire held and allowed me to get safely off the roadway. It also bent the fender, destroyed the marker light at the rear of the fender and shorted out my running lights (which I didn't catch until nightfall). I pounded out the fender to install the spare, but there was more damage (expense) involved other than just the tire.

Someone with a single axle may not have been so lucky. So you guys with single axle trailers, this post is for you. Consider what tires you buy, your speed when traveling - especially over long distances. Everyone should, but single axle trailer guys this could be much more serious.

There is no way I would expect a tire to fail in this way, especially a new one. I have 3 left and they will be off the trailer before it sees the road again. I could not trust them at all, for any long distance tow at highway speed. If you buy cheap, off brand (I'm pointing at Chinese made) tires are you really saving anything? I'm not even going to ask about warranty on this tire - if they offered to replace it FREE, I wouldn't take it.

This is a 205/75/D14 tire. Smaller tires are more prone to overheating stress than the larger 14" tires.

I'm pretty certain the slice in the sidewall was from the rim after the tire seperated.

As mentioned in the previous picture, there is a nearly identical slice on the rear sidewall, at same location as the front sidewall - caused by the rim after the tire seperated.

Tire is identified as an H188ST. Link has tire info, with a wheel. http://www.monstermarketplace.com/tr...wheel-5-on-4-5 I searched the H188ST on the internet and they appear to be a commonly used trailer/RV tire - no way for me after this experience. Also found 99% of their tires ARE produced in China, that was not an assumption on my part in the post.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 05-23-11 at 04:29 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.