Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-11, 07:22 PM   #1
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Been Thinking...

I haven't had a chance to post much, been taking night classes and am trying to get my research papers and exams finished up. I've had a few guys ask me over the past few months if I could custom paint various parts/accessories for their boats and I've always turned them down since I have only painted baits before. I've been doing the crank painting part time, but will have more time on my hands once I'm out for summer.

Do you guys think this is something I should venture in to? I'm 19 and don't have my own bass boat just yet so I'm not sure what kind of demand there would be. Trying to see what people think about custom painted parts/accessories. Any opinions are welcome fellas, don't hold back
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 09:03 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would think there would be a market for it. I'd go on line and do some research and see examples of other guys work and maybe contact a couple of them if you can to ask them about what you can expect. Would be great if a trusting friend would let you do work on his boat so you could have photos of that to use to show what you can do.
Old 04-19-11, 09:28 PM   #3
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It sounds like your about the same spot I was many moons ago, when I was airbrushing tee shirts and vanity plates for friends and family as a hobby, and guys started asking me to paint their motorcycles and helmets, and even their cars or trucks.

The only hard surface I was used to painting on was license tags, and if I screw up one of those its no big deal, but if I screw up some guys Harley that would be a big deal.....especially if he's one of them big ol' bikers that'll squash ya like a bug cause you messed up his pride and joy.....Not to mention I was using water based textile paints and now were talking about using automotive urethanes.....something I knew NOTHING about.

So for along time I turned down those jobs, while I spent time learning about the paints, and then acquiring some and start practicing to see what I was could do....I snagged me a couple of old motorcycle fuel tanks and fenders and a couple of garage sale motorcycle helmets to play with.....So I spent a few months practicing in my spare time till I finally was comfortable enough that I painted my brothers racing helmet....that led to a helmet job for another of the dirt track racers we ran with....those helmets turned out ok, which led to another, and then another.......the fuse had been lit.....I was trying to kick out a helmet or two a week for those guys....It didn't take alot of that to feel more comfortable with what I was doing

If a job request came in that I felt uncomfortable about I'd find someone that knew more about it then I did, and I'd talk to them....I've learned all my painting skills from watching and talking to other painters and airbrushers, and pinstripers that were willing to take some time to share some info....Not everyone will share, but you'll find most don't mind guiding a new guy that wants to learn...Offer to sweep up one afternoon in exchange for watching them paint a car or something....You'll pick up alot just by doing that.....Not to mention with the Internet, videos, books, dvd's and such that offer training theres many ways to expand your knowledge base on the subject.

So before I get too long winded, my best advice to you, is to practice on a larger object than a crankbait....get yourself and old outboard motor cover or whatever type of item your thinking off painting for others and do a bit of experimenting on your own stuff first...then when you feel good about what you see, you've not only got a display item you can show to potential clients, but you've got much needed confidence in the fact that you can offer them a quality product for their hard earned dollars.

Now, jump in and start paddlin....lol
Old 04-19-11, 09:31 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

marc.listen to micheal on this pal. he knows what he is taling aobut.

and micheal, have you done any of the stuff i sent to ya yet? woul dlove to see em man.
Old 04-19-11, 09:39 PM   #5
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
marc.listen to micheal on this pal. he knows what he is taling aobut.

and micheal, have you done any of the stuff i sent to ya yet? woul dlove to see em man.
John, I'm prepping those lures you sent.....And because of how I've been slowly redecorating my office area, I got this hair brained idea to use a couple of those lures you gave me to hang from the pull chains on my camo ceiling fan. So I'm playing with how I'm gonna connect the chains, and which two lure bodies I want to use....lol....I know, I'm kinda weird.
Old 04-19-11, 10:22 PM   #6
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I really appreciate it guys.

66KF, great informative post. Thanks for taking the time share those tips
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.