Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-09, 02:43 PM   #1
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Beginner Boater...Need advice on what I need...

Hey everyone,
I know there is a lot of experience on here, so this is probably the best place to ask.....When I started bass fishing 2 years ago, I only fished from the bank. My wife's former boss just gave me a 12 ft fiberglass jon boat for free. It is old, but it floats and the price was right. It seems to be in good shape, just needs a real good washing and eventually a paint job. It is just over 12 ft long and 55" wide.

I want to buy a trolling motor to get around in it, I just am not sure what all I need to get it moving in the water. I have zero experience with boats and will be using it in a medium size pond (about 6 acres).

I am trying to take the economical route as well (big surprise there).

Here is my list so far:

Trolling motor....looking at the BPS Prowler, either 30 or 40
Battery.......not sure what requirements I need or type
Battery charger.....same as above
Anchor
Oar...just in case the battery fails, ha ha
Life vests

What else do I need or would be convenient for a day on the pond?
Also, is hooking the trolling motor up as simple as running the wires to the battery? Or do I need a lot of accessories?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-09, 06:39 PM   #2
remington
BassFishin.Com Member

Think we've all been there at one time or another.

All can be bought a wal-mart for a few hundred dollers. I would vote for the double peg down oars. Its the poor mans trolling motor and you can cover more water if you have a break down. best of luck.
remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09, 07:23 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington View Post
Think we've all been there at one time or another.

All can be bought a wal-mart for a few hundred dollers. I would vote for the double peg down oars. Its the poor mans trolling motor and you can cover more water if you have a break down. best of luck.
Six acres? I've fished a pond that size from one of those small pedal-powered boats. That worked well, and was a blast to boot. I think for the money, oars would be awesome, but if you can get a good deal on a small troller, go for it. Heck...the battery might even make good ballast.
Old 08-10-09, 08:04 PM   #4
remington
BassFishin.Com Member

The oars would be in additon to the trolling motor (brake down).
remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09, 08:57 PM   #5
bamabassman

as for the trolling motor, check graigslist. you can find a great deal there. 6 acres is not a small pond. very nice size inmy opion. and yes it is as simple and easy as hooing up cables pal.i would not installan onboard charger. the regular charger is fine for your set up. as for the battery wally world batteries aren't the best, but if you are wanting cheap that is the way to go. marine battery is what you will get. you'll find that while you are in there they have a pedistal seat you might look into to install. makes it wasier to fish while you troll. that is IF you are gonna get a foot control troller. as fo rthe rest of your list i think you have it covered. just remember this, you should get a life jacket for each person in the boat and 1 throwable (seatcushion type) to have in the boat.
Old 08-10-09, 09:13 PM   #6
nofearengineer

If you do set it up with a small electric trolling motor, don't forget a fuse or circuit breaker in the hot battery cable, as close to the battery as possible.
Old 08-10-09, 11:36 PM   #7
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

if u prefer to net fish at all, get a good net and LEAVE it in your boat.

i prefer to swing em usually,but depending on the size of the fish and what its hooked on i will net them sometimes...but theyre have been several times i have reached for my net and realized i left it in the yard when i was getting the boat ready.

so make a point to keep your net in the boat if u net fish at all
Old 08-11-09, 07:46 AM   #8
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everybody. I am definitely getting a trolling motor. Even though I am keeping in a pond for now, when I do get a trailer I will use it at my neighborhood lake, which is 100 Acres.
Old 08-11-09, 12:48 PM   #9
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Disclaimer: I'm new to boating!

I dunno about down there, but up here, put a trolling motor on a boat and it needs to be registered as a motor vehicle.
I don't know how far you wish to go with it, but here are some stuff I just got to be compliant with regulations:
- Coast guard approved fire extinguisher
- Flares
- Distress flag
- PFD for anyone in the boat (required wearing for children under 12)
- throwable floatation device
- First aid kit

optional necessities:
- padle or oars
- flashlight/running lights
- bow/stern tie off lines
- anchor, rode, anchor line

For the battery, you need a deep cell marine battery. You 'can' go with what's called a duel purpose, but you definitely don't want a marine starting battery and would be best served by a battery specifically designed for a trolling motor (I got a duel purpose just in case my starting battery failed). Get 'as much' battery as you can afford - small batteries are lighter, but won't have the staying power as larger ones. At least go "middle shelf", "top shelf" if you can (oh wait, they put the bigger batteries down below (oh, you know what I mean!)

For a charger, I got a Schumacher Ship 'n Shore at Walmart for about $50 that seems to work very well. Of course, just make sure you get a charger that handles deep cell marine batteries.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 02:56 PM   #10
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Deep pockets is all you need.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.