Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-09, 11:02 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Dent in tire

Guys, I am looking at a used spare tire for my trailer. I actually found the same tire (Goodyear Marathon ST 215/75 R14) on the same chrome directional wheel I use.

However, it has a "line" across the sidewall, where it was probably lying over against a hard edge of something for a while. It isn't a cut or a gouge; there is no missing material whatsoever. The line is maybe 3/32" deep, and about 3-4 in. long. The reason I think it was lying against something is the line continues across the other side of the wheel, much less deep, but still a trace of it.

I am wondering if this line would come out of the tire once it warms up, I might leave it out in the sun for a few hours and see what happens.

I hear the strength of the tire sidewall is from the belts and cords; the rubber is just there to hold it together. That being said, I still wouldn't use a tire with holes or cuts in it. This is just a little more subtle, and the price is right, so I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Old 08-28-09, 03:11 PM   #2
WTL

By line, you mean a straight depression in the sidewall? Like where two belts on the inside join together? I dont think its from the tying lieing on something.

I've seen that on relatively new tires before. It always made me a tad nervous, even though I dont know that its wrong.
Old 08-28-09, 03:28 PM   #3
nofearengineer

I'm not talking about where two layers of rubber would have come together when they were building up the layers.

What I'm talking about is like a chord of a circle, in a geometry sense of the word. Look up chord, if you don't know what I mean.

It was almost assuredly put there by the previous owner from laying the tire over on its side against a horizontal 90-degree edge.

So it's a dent, and not a cut. I'll try to take a picture of it tonight and post it. I'm thinking it's mostly an aesthetic thing, and perfectly okay for a spare. At least better than a can of Fix-a-Flat.
Old 08-28-09, 10:21 PM   #4
WTL

OK, I got you.

For a spare, i dont think I would fret too much. I think you are working your way through this by yourself.

Isn't your trailer a tandem?
Old 08-28-09, 10:59 PM   #5
nofearengineer

I wish! Not for the handling so much (my rig is a dream), but yeah, if a tire blew out, it would sure be nice to have the opportunity to stop before you're dragging a bare rim on the highway.
Old 08-28-09, 11:01 PM   #6
WTL

Yeah, if it were a tandem trailer I'd say no worries whatsoever. That a big boat for a single axle...

I *think* its sounding ok, have you bought this tire yet? It is just a spare, and it is better than fix a flat. I blew a trailer tire once and it was no where near as catastrophic as blowing a vehicle tire, I just pulled through it and stopped slowly.
Old 08-29-09, 12:50 AM   #7
nofearengineer

Okay...here are the pics...

You can see it's in really good shape, lots of tread, etc. Rim is nice and shiny too.

Now here's the backside, close up on the dent.

I don't know...maybe I'm making something out of nothing. On a radial, I wouldn't think twice about this, but I know these trailer tires load the sidewalls differently. I love my boat and don't want to destroy her in a fiery apocalypse (unless I'm getting a Viking burial ).
Old 08-29-09, 01:14 AM   #8
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've read that sidewalls on ST tires are pretty tough and that seems like a pretty minor surface blemish.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.