Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-09, 07:21 PM   #12
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Again, thanks everyone for all for the suggestions. They were all very helpful.

I took your advise big bassin and went w/some 12lb xt that I had for a leader.

Also I know exactly what you mean about going up a little. I just inherited a shimano 2000 - just looking for a pole. Ultra lights have spoiled me. Anything larger feels like a 2x4 and I can tell the loss in sensitivity. At least with the 6' rods I've played with already. I'll have to shop around or just get used to the difference. I want something sensitive but with quality that wont break the bank. Most of the fish i catch are between 2-4 lbs. On an UL rod a 4 pounder (for me) can be dicey and bigger than that has been a loss on many occasions. I've never used flourocarbon before but per your suggestion, I'll satisfy the bait monkey on that one.

The sweeping hookset was an excellent suggestion. I'm happy to say that I got "him" today. Well maybe not "him" but one of them. He was about 3 lbs. And I just did a steady sweep back. It was a nice hook too; right in the upper lip. There's a favorite chunk of bushes I like to visit, and I think I have a much better way to approach it now with those close hits.

Also bassboss - It had'nt occured to me of the of the braided cutting into the mono. Since this is especially true now that I've downgraded my leader strength. I took your advise and switched up my knot.

You all are the best. Thanks again.
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.