Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-12, 12:35 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Maybe my question should be phrased as this;

"Is the method we use for determining who caught the best fish (pure weight) really indicative of catching the best fish?"

Look at deer. If someone shot a deer that was a 6 point, but weighed %50 more than the average 6 point (in other words, a walking tub of lard)...would they be proud? Amused? Brag to friends? Or think they put it out of it's misery, cause it has some sort of problem?

Why do we rate fish on a different standard? Why not length be determinate? Why not fight (I guess its less measurable, but far more memorable for the angler).

Are we allowing dick measuring contests to totally pervert the pursuit of excellence in bass fishing?
Old 01-16-12, 12:49 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

[QUOTE=WTL;367453]Maybe my question should be phrased as this;

"Is the method we use for determining who caught the best fish (pure weight) really indicative of catching the best fish?"

Look at deer. If someone shot a deer that was a 6 point, but weighed %50 more than the average 6 point (in other words, a walking tub of lard)...would they be proud? Amused? Brag to friends? Or think they put it out of it's misery, cause it has some sort of problem?

Why do we rate fish on a different standard? Why not length be determinate? Why not fight (I guess its less measurable, but far more memorable for the angler).

Are we allowing dick measuring contests to totally pervert the pursuit of excellence in bass fishing?[/QUOTE]

I'm laughing too hard to type but here goes......I'm no fan of Morbid obesity in humans or wild animals or domestic livestock. Putting a tub of lard fish out of it's misery stirs up all kind of images in my head. I just don't resist the notion that these fish are simply being allowed (helped) to reach their maximum potential. I used to participate in a hunting forum that had a saying something like " God created a 4 point buck everything else needed a little help" ........I figured this topic would (or should) ellicit strong opinions and I'm not dissapointed.
Old 01-16-12, 04:09 PM   #3
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Maybe my question should be phrased as this;

Are we allowing dick measuring contests to totally pervert the pursuit of excellence in bass fishing?
Kinda reminds me of the arguement over the striper record recently caught...old record, the guy was fishing from shore, on a rock jetty in a thunderstorm, using crappy equipment, an old plug on 20# test mono. New record caught in a boat, using live bait, and a tuna rod/reel on 80# test? And the southern strain LM is an invasive, non-native species in the waters of CA.

Hmmm, Grace Kelly vs. some freak? Is that really an accurate comparison? Damn, Grace was so hot!
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 05:44 PM   #4
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post

Hmmm, Grace Kelly vs. some freak? Is that really an accurate comparison? Damn, Grace was so hot!

The freak can bench 400 lbs. Grace Kelly couldn't do that. Ergo, the freak was a superior woman. (or so the analogy goes, if bigger and more muscular is better.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I have been infected with trout fishing ideals, where you admire a 10" wild caught trout for its colors, and place it far above a 3 lb stockie.
Old 01-16-12, 06:00 PM   #5
nofearengineer

I think I've been pretty outspoken on this subject before, but why not revisit it?

These frankenfish SUCK. Tony Toyota can manufacture a record, and there's nothing I can do to stop him, but it'll never be legitimate in my book. To me, part of fishing is exploring his habitat, having to understand his rules and behavior to succeed. This artificial monstrosity is pathetic. They might as well just be raised in an aquarium til they reach 25 pounds, then released into a pond for an aqua-safari.
Old 01-18-12, 10:29 PM   #6
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
These frankenfish SUCK. Tony Toyota can manufacture a record, and there's nothing I can do to stop him, but it'll never be legitimate in my book. .
Boom and this is what it boils down too... personal opinion. Personally, I don't think records should be considered unless they come from a native habitat. Anyone can take any animal and put it into a perfect situation and make it a freak of nature... Hence the Texas sharelunker program.
Old 01-19-12, 01:44 AM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Boom and this is what it boils down too... personal opinion. Personally, I don't think records should be considered unless they come from a native habitat. Anyone can take any animal and put it into a perfect situation and make it a freak of nature... Hence the Texas sharelunker program.
There's only a few on this thread that don't gag at the sight of those big bass. No need to debate the non-native issue since it's only "native" to the east coast/gulf coast and alittle bit of canada. Not just anyone can do what's being done in TX or Cali or Japan. But if someone puts superiour brood stock(brilliant idea...how do you think they get races horses to run so fast?) in an environment perfect for that species (you know that expression they're as happy as a pig in ****?) clean clear deep water, and PLENTY of good food to eat! (wonderful!) So what's the problem? I certainly don't see a freakenstein....I see what a healthy happy well fed and taken care of bass can be. I think everything and everybody wants to be "All They Can BE!" the Army does. As far as what Texas has done ...looks like genious to me. In 1960 there was only one lake in the state that produced bass weighing 13+ lbs now there are 61 Tx lakes that regularly do it, soon there will be 100. Those Texas guys are not mad scientist running around injecting steroids and growth hormones in fish, they are just managing with a focus on raising big fish. My understanding of what happened in Cal is that they just stumbled on their big fish deal after they realized the bass that were already there had learned to follow the trout trucks around and gorge themselves....certainly can't fault anybody there. Just my personal opinion
Old 01-16-12, 07:33 PM   #8
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
The freak can bench 400 lbs. Grace Kelly couldn't do that. Ergo, the freak was a superior woman. (or so the analogy goes, if bigger and more muscular is better.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I have been infected with trout fishing ideals, where you admire a 10" wild caught trout for its colors, and place it far above a 3 lb stockie.
Don't get me wrong, I think there should be a USGFA, because of all the reasons people have talked about, but that bass from Japan is no different from that bass in CA.

And Grace Kelly can(could have) get some 350 lb guy to bench 400 lbs for her, where the "freak" couldn't get a guy to open a coke for her...who is the more powerful woman?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.