Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-11, 06:57 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Opinions wanted for buying a new drill.

I'm planning on purchasing a new 1/2" 18 volt litheum cordless drill for both home and work use. At work I use the drill mainly to install brackets and cabinets for fire equipment. Sometimes I will be drilling into cement walls or block, and occationally steel beams. This isn't something I do on a daily basis, but fairly regularly. I have it narrowed down to 3 brands. I'm leaning towards Milwalkee but I am also looking at both DeWalt and Rigid. It is my understanding that Milwalkee actually makes the Rigid brand. I was told that the Milwalkee brand is the only brand that uses all metal gears. I don't know if thats a true statement or not, but if it is, it certaily is one more reason to choose Milwalkee. Price is not an issue between the 3 brands, as they are each $199.99 at Home Depot for the same drill. Actually, the Rigid is on sale right now for $179.99. Milwalkee has a 5 year warrenty, DeWalt is 3 year, and Rigid has a life time warrenty plan. Not sure how much one has to pay for that lifetime plan if at all. Anyways, if anyone in here happens to know his drills I would appreciate hearing your opinion. Thanks
Old 06-06-11, 08:22 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

keith liked i said the milwalkee had metal gears now that they sell t o homedepot and lowes at cheaper prices they may have gone to plastic. i use dewalt at work daily have the hammer dreill 18 volt and a right angle drill also have the impact driver, all have held up well had them for over 4 years. only issue is make sure youe run the batteries completely down as the have a memory at will not hold charge as long if you charge them before they go dead. i really do not think one is any better than the other i would go with lightes one if you plan on using it a lot make sure you get the hammer drill feature if you are drilling into cement or block
Old 06-06-11, 09:40 PM   #3
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
keith liked i said the milwalkee had metal gears now that they sell t o homedepot and lowes at cheaper prices they may have gone to plastic. i use dewalt at work daily have the hammer dreill 18 volt and a right angle drill also have the impact driver, all have held up well had them for over 4 years. only issue is make sure youe run the batteries completely down as the have a memory at will not hold charge as long if you charge them before they go dead. i really do not think one is any better than the other i would go with lightes one if you plan on using it a lot make sure you get the hammer drill feature if you are drilling into cement or block
I know someone recently had told me about the metal gears, but couldn't remember who it was, lol. I like the idea of the hammer drill but at $100.00 more it's not in the budget, especially since the wife is hinting about this being my fathers day present. While I do drill into cement or block, it's only a few times a year so thats not a huge concern. Mostly it's wood and metal I drill into.
Old 06-06-11, 10:12 PM   #4
Jrob78

I have had great luck with DeWalt 18V drills, both in Ni-Cad and Lithium. The Ni-cad drill was the hammer model and the lithium was just the regular drill. Both were/are exceptional and have held up over several years of use. Some of that being pretty heavy use.
Old 06-07-11, 01:07 AM   #5
nofearengineer

Lithium-ion batteries are a plus, as they have no memory.
Old 06-07-11, 01:40 AM   #6
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

This is what I've used for the last 4 years or so. LOVE IT!!!
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFoQ8wIwAg
Old 06-07-11, 02:49 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01

I am a Dewalt guy myself. My Dewalt tools have proven to be very reliable, and I have been hard on some of them. My father in law has a few Makitas and they are great drills as well but that isn't one of the brands you mentioned. A contractor I used to work for had a few Milwalkees and they were pretty dang nice as well. I have never used any Rigid tools myself but I was helping a friend of the family do some remodel work a while back and he had a bunch of Rigid tools and swore by them, and I think a lot of this guy and his word is very trustworthy. Honestly between the brands you listed I don't know if one is any better than the others. I would find the one that feels most comfortable to you and go with it.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 08:35 AM   #8
Bender

I have the same one a nmanly, plus some extra batteries. It has been a very solid drill. I bought it because it had the highest speed that I could find which I wanted for drilling small holes into steel. I've even had it attached to my 6" Nils ice auger and it powered that just fine. The extra batteries are $$$ though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 09:47 AM   #9
doc

dewalt, It's what I use, and In my experience around my part of the world anyway, when I see a contractor working they have dewalt.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 10:08 AM   #10
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have been around construction most of my life and although I can't speak for any of the newer Makita stuff because we still have all of our old drills and they just won't die...I have had the batteries rebuilt at batteries+ ...they are unreal drills!

I worked on a small concrete project a few months ago and I was mixing the concrete using a mixer extension in a 5 gallon bucket that is made for paint, one of the guys bet me that I would burn it up..he didn't even dare to use his drill.. needless to say he owns a new Makita now too.
Old 06-07-11, 02:25 PM   #11
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

About 30% of my power tools are Dewalt and the rest are Rigid. I have had great luck with both. I have had my Rigid 18V Cordless for 7 years now. It has been dropped off the roof and out my treestand. Still works great.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 07:11 PM   #12
keithdog

One thing that worries me about Makita involves a stiuation here in town with our local family run lumber yard. The place actually is a large business with several locations and would remind most folks of a miniature Home Depot. For many years they were a big seller of Makita hand tools. In fact that was pretty much all they sold. One day I walked into the place on business and noticed all the Makita tools had been replaced with DeWalt. I asked the dept manager why and he explained to me that they had had a noticable increase in returns due to tool failure. And they also were having a great deal of trouble getting Makita to stand by their warrenty. Finally they dropped the Makita lineup.
Old 06-08-11, 02:13 AM   #13
cassidyta

Keith, I can't speak to all of the brands, but I can speak highly of the Dewalt. I got one as a Christmas Present 4 years ago and it is running just as strong today. This drill has fallen off of the roof, fallen out of a moving truck (only going about 10 mph), and has been dropped in the swimming pool. (I dove right in after it so it wasn't in long)
Old 06-08-11, 06:53 AM   #14
keithdog

Well it sounds like my pick is narrowed down to either a Milwalkee or DeWalt. I found out several things about Rigid that I don't care for since I started this post. DeWalt seems to be a brand that is more available than Milwalkee from what I see in the stores which may be why it's more commonly seen and used. I wish I knew more about DeWalts gearing as to whether they use metal or plastic gears. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. Thanks everyone for your input. It's very appreciated.
Old 06-08-11, 12:06 PM   #15
bassboogieman

I'm too old school. For occasional HEAVY DUTY use, especially if drilling through steel, I'd go with a CORDED drill. Have you checked the price of the Ion batteries? $90 = ouch. Unless you work in an area that electricity is not available, the consistant power of a corded drill would be preferable to me. Cordless is nice, don't get me wrong. I have a Dewalt 12v, 3/8" drill and I love it, but it doesn't hold up for hours of use. Small, quick jobs are fine. If you are working several hours at a time, you're going to need a spare battery and take your charger with you, and at $90 for a spare battery, I'll put up with the inconvienice of a cord for the dependable all day consistant power.

If you're drilling concrete walls/patio/etc. (not block) you may want to consider the option of a hammer drill - very nice when dealing with concrete and if you're going to invest your money, get the best, most versitle tool you can.

Also the corded drills are around $120 depending upon model - that's a good savings, especially if you add a spare battery to the price of the cordless model.

Oh, and I HATE picking up my cordless drill after it's set a couple weeks and there isn't much of a charge left. Job delay - but that's why I have a Kuerig coffe maker..........................

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-08-11 at 12:13 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 06:46 PM   #16
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I'm too old school. For occasional HEAVY DUTY use, especially if drilling through steel, I'd go with a CORDED drill. Have you checked the price of the Ion batteries? $90 = ouch. Unless you work in an area that electricity is not available, the consistant power of a corded drill would be preferable to me. Cordless is nice, don't get me wrong. I have a Dewalt 12v, 3/8" drill and I love it, but it doesn't hold up for hours of use. Small, quick jobs are fine. If you are working several hours at a time, you're going to need a spare battery and take your charger with you, and at $90 for a spare battery, I'll put up with the inconvienice of a cord for the dependable all day consistant power.

If you're drilling concrete walls/patio/etc. (not block) you may want to consider the option of a hammer drill - very nice when dealing with concrete and if you're going to invest your money, get the best, most versitle tool you can.

Also the corded drills are around $120 depending upon model - that's a good savings, especially if you add a spare battery to the price of the cordless model.

Oh, and I HATE picking up my cordless drill after it's set a couple weeks and there isn't much of a charge left. Job delay - but that's why I have a Kuerig coffe maker..........................
Actually I do have a corded drill and use it when I can, but more often than not I'm in a situation where there is nothing to hook up to for power.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.