Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-10, 03:23 PM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Micro Guides

This topic has come a few times in the chat room over the last few days. I have a little experience with the little guides so I thought I would share. I am in no way an expert or trying to sway anyone's opinion on them.

I recently built a casting rod with all size 4 Fuji Alconite micro guides. I didn't do it because I necessarily thought it would be a vast improvement over regular guides, I just thought it would be something fun to try from a rod building aspect. Plus I wanted find out for myself what all the fuss was about.

I've had a chance to fish the rod about 10 times so far. It is a 7' MH/F built on a MHX blank. There are a few things you have to do differently, build wise, than you would with regular guides. The first guide is quite a bit farther from the reel seat than conventional, also the guides at the tip are closer together so that the line doesn't drop below the blank. Static testing is a must to get the proper layout. My rod has 10 guides plus the tip-top.

One advantage is weight, the micros are quite a bit lighter than conventional guides. My rod weighs in at just under 4oz, this is with a split grip, no foregrip and a tiger wrap that runs about 8". The main thing I've noticed though is that the casting distance with this rod is better than any other rod I own. I haven't measured it or even done a side by side comparison but when you fish all the time you can tell. I know that this rod casts farther than normal and I've put 2 different reels on it so that isn't it. Supposedly the line pulls in more of straight line during the cast instead of slapping side to side, this is due to the small opening it has to pass through. I also feel as though the micros are less likely to get hung on something while loading and unloading. If you fish with leaders micros probably aren't for you, they are too small to pass knots of any size.

I know that rods with these guides are getting ready to hit the market, I don't know if they are truly "the next big thing" that will have a positive impact or just another fad designed to catch fishermen. In my limited experience with them they have made a positive impression on me.

If anyone else has any experience with micros please give your impressions of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	496.1 KB
ID:	4731   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	490.9 KB
ID:	4732   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	4733  

Last edited by Jrob78; 02-13-10 at 03:31 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.