Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-05, 11:51 AM   #1
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas
Default Hippy Stick

Has anyone treid these. they are made by BearPaw and I am thinking of ordering some. Whats your take on them and how do they compare with other brands...............
Old 09-12-05, 12:20 PM   #2
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've tried it this summer. It worked pretty well on WEIGHT WACKY RIGGED(I used falcon "K" wacky hook). All I say is it works! I mean it's hard to say which works better. Some days, when I consistently caught fish, this one worked as well as the other tiki sticks; some days, when fishing was slow and I really needed some luck to catch fish, this one didn't bring me kinda special luck neither. I did use this bait catching bass on slow day, however, it's hard to figure out the real reason. I mean if I was using one of the other baits such as Senko or Dinger in the right time and right spot, it probably brought the same result. ( we should ask the bass! : why did you take the bait while all the other guys were lazy to eat or attack!? )

For me, it seems sinking slower than senko kind things. it is kinda floating lure with less salt. And with to be fortified with Megastrike, it smells very "right and good".

Personally I like the dark color, such as : Pumpkinseed with black - red and gold.

Finally, its price is very reasonable!

Last edited by H2O; 09-12-05 at 12:57 PM.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 08:25 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Buy them they will catch fish.

Lizards
Old 09-13-05, 11:09 AM   #4
Dyas

Thanks guys I beleive I will order some..............
Old 09-13-05, 12:35 PM   #5
KH.

i never tried them whieght wacky rigged,actually i dont even know what that is.probally a bullet whieght with that worm.i used it whieghtless,only caught one and sinks like 1nch per minute lol
Old 09-13-05, 12:43 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Here's a suggestion for you folks who love the stick baits. Buy the slowest falling ones, and then just add weight, either insert weights, soldier, coat hanger pieces whatever. The fact is that all of the have a slightly different fall rate. If you want it to fall faster, and weight. But if you buy the heaviest ones, you can't make them lighter to fall slower, at least not without a lot of fuss.

Lizards
Old 09-13-05, 12:48 PM   #7
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
Here's a suggestion for you folks who love the stick baits. Buy the slowest falling ones, and then just add weight, either insert weights, soldier, coat hanger pieces whatever. The fact is that all of the have a slightly different fall rate. If you want it to fall faster, and weight. But if you buy the heaviest ones, you can't make them lighter to fall slower, at least not without a lot of fuss.

Lizards
i use tikis because they have a perfect fall rate,senkos and kinamis sink too fast for me,i only use them when fishing deep water.senko falls like a quarter in a fountain,and those hippy sticks fall way too slow,if you add wheight,you lose action
Old 09-13-05, 04:45 PM   #8
Dyas

Thats the reason for me to. The reason im interested in these is because they have a slow fall and I have had the most luck with baits that fall extremely slow and fishing them slow. I got a sample from Bearpaws and it seemed just right for what I like to fish.........
Old 09-13-05, 05:02 PM   #9
H2O

These are the hooks I've used:

Work perfect with Hippy stick! I mean the setup is very sensitive! I think it's better than put some kind weights on the bait. And it's pretty easy to rig the bait.
Old 09-13-05, 05:05 PM   #10
Dyas

Yeah I have a pack of those................ They work good on tikis to...............
Old 09-13-05, 05:05 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh51501
i use tikis because they have a perfect fall rate,senkos and kinamis sink too fast for me,i only use them when fishing deep water.senko falls like a quarter in a fountain,and those hippy sticks fall way too slow,if you add wheight,you lose action
I'll bet ya a hundred dollars, that the slower falling baits at times will out produce the tiki's You have got to get over this tiki will do everything nonsense. They are a good bait, but quite often there are better baits, including other stick baits that will out perform them. What do you say to the guys who says Senko's are the best I made the suggestion only as a option instead of buying lots of other baits. As for killing the action, that again is a "OPINION", try putting a slight bit of weight in each end and wacky rig it, they have a "different" action, maybe not better or maybe it is. Only the fish can tell you that. I understand everyone has their favorites, and you believe them to be superior. I believe them just to be another tool for catching fish like a crankbait or a spinnerbait or topwater, or finesse worms. Every bait out there will catch fish in the right conditions, yes even the beer can lures. If you never try to experiment then you'll always be fishing the same way. I am here to tell you that if you don't become versatile, then you will get your butt kicked on the water more times than not. I am not trying to beat you up, just stating my opinion. And yes I have used Tiki's(and have some now), and Senko's, Bummer, Kinami, Lazy Sticks, and about 10 other brand of stick baits. It's how you rig it and present them that makes the difference.

Lizards
Old 09-13-05, 05:09 PM   #12
Dyas

Thats right........... Well said Liz.
Old 09-13-05, 05:40 PM   #13
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
I'll bet ya a hundred dollars, that the slower falling baits at times will out produce the tiki's You have got to get over this tiki will do everything nonsense. They are a good bait, but quite often there are better baits, including other stick baits that will out perform them. What do you say to the guys who says Senko's are the best I made the suggestion only as a option instead of buying lots of other baits. As for killing the action, that again is a "OPINION", try putting a slight bit of weight in each end and wacky rig it, they have a "different" action, maybe not better or maybe it is. Only the fish can tell you that. I understand everyone has their favorites, and you believe them to be superior. I believe them just to be another tool for catching fish like a crankbait or a spinnerbait or topwater, or finesse worms. Every bait out there will catch fish in the right conditions, yes even the beer can lures. If you never try to experiment then you'll always be fishing the same way. I am here to tell you that if you don't become versatile, then you will get your butt kicked on the water more times than not. I am not trying to beat you up, just stating my opinion. And yes I have used Tiki's(and have some now), and Senko's, Bummer, Kinami, Lazy Sticks, and about 10 other brand of stick baits. It's how you rig it and present them that makes the difference.

Lizards
Right! I like Tiki cause they certainly can catch fish in different situation. However, IMO, there are two things I concern about:
1. Working area is very small! Crankbait, spinnerbait and most of top water lures are much better at this piont. I mean you have to locate the fish (in a VERY TINY AREA)!

2. It still kinda like live bait feeling.(as well as other plastic soft baits) I mean whatever you present them, they are still not "great feeling" baits. General speaking, they are not excited lures. I want to get on water at 4:00am, and cast the Spook on the surface, and watch the blow up! Bass miss the lure a lot of times. But it is so excited! For me, I don't care how many bass I can catch. I just care about the right and effective approach. I am always looking for the excited moment.
Old 09-13-05, 05:46 PM   #14
Dyas

I love fishing the spook for that reason. The exitement of it EXPLODING on it is just awsome..........
Old 09-13-05, 06:03 PM   #15
zooker

i like the slowest fallin baits during the colder weather. i only use weight when i want them to drop faster. when the water is warm. they have there uses but i almost don't use them as much as other baits now adays..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.