Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-12, 12:24 AM   #1
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

@ skeeter thanks man but you aint gotta do that, I dug out an old daiwa spinning reel and stuck it on the graphite IM6 rod and the took electrical tape and wrapped the part that connects to the rod so if it snaps like the other once atleast i can reel in still LOL funny thing is it balanced the rod and reel perfectly LOL

@ crank thanks man and awesome photos i need to come fish with u haha, I prefer to crank to honestly to me slow presentation and drop shot is boring but thats just me! LOL Walmart had pfluger bait caster reels today for $35 but they were all right handed retrieve, even though i am right handed ive always retrieve with left hand but i do think i could retrieve faster with my right hand but then to switch hands during a cast just doesnt make sense.

My birthday is coming up soon so already got a combo as #1 on my wish list haha

This is my first year really getting into freshwater fishing where i moved from was mainly coastal saltwater now im in the middle state of carolina. I have never used a bait caster but have used trolling reels.
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 12:31 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You really don't have to spend too much to get an alright setup. Some of the lower abu combo's at walmart seem pretty decent.

IMO, when you have very little gear, its really better to buy reasonable priced stuff and then slowly convert over to the fine tackle than be stuck with one really great rod and reel that only is effective for certain presentations. Don't go super cheap on the reels, $35 is very cheap for a baitcaster, but you can do alright around $50 or so. Wont last more than 2 years in good working order under average fishing conditions and use, but after 2 years you can move up the ladder and keep the old, semi worn out cheap real (say a pinnacle) as a backup.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but it seems tackle has taken a several steps forward in just a few short years. So when you spend a lot on the newest thing, its like getting the highest power laptop out there. I like waiting for the price to come down.
Old 05-03-12, 09:07 AM   #3
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Lovin View Post
Walmart had pfluger bait caster reels today for $35 but they were all right handed retrieve, even though i am right handed ive always retrieve with left hand but i do think i could retrieve faster with my right hand but then to switch hands during a cast just doesnt make sense.
I thought the same thing before I switched over to baitcasters! I didn't want to buy a right handed retrieve because I've always reeled with my left using spinning gear even though I'm right handed. But when I use the baitcaster, It's no big deal to cast with your right hand and then switch hands. Now it feels natural! I would buy one of those Pflugers from the Walmart and give er a shot!
Mr.Bassmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.