Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-11, 10:26 AM   #1
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default using SI & GPS to create 3d lake maps

Has anyone heard of drdepth software, I was browsing the Humminbird SI forums and came across a post of a gentleman posting Screen Shots of portions of the lake he fishes. I've only been looking at it a few minutes but from my understanding you can take recorded gps & si data feed it to this mapping software and create a 3d image with contour lines, and colors for bottom hardness of the area of water you recorded, then on your next outing do a different track of water, come back and compile the new data and add to your existing map. So eventually one could create a full 3d map of a home lake or more specific pieces of structure, and/or create google maps overlays

Come on NoFear I wanna hear your input on this one.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 11:11 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Doc....I have been looking for something like that for a long time. Thanks for showing us. However, the most important thing for me would be if I can create a map I can put back into my SI unit.

The local pit has some really cool structure in it, but obviously, it is not on Navionics chips. I would love to make a map of it.
Old 02-11-11, 11:19 AM   #3
doc

Looks like if you have a Lowrance unit you can upload maps to it, It doesn't specifically say for humminbird, but it does look like you can mark waypoints on the maps you created in dr depth, then import the waypoints to HB units.

Last edited by doc; 02-11-11 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 11:33 AM   #4
doc

The more I look at this software the more interesting it is, or more impotantly future updates could be.

On a larger lake one could set up a "network" of data users per say, have multiple people turn in memory card data to achieve a total map faster. Or as nofear mentioned as soon as you can upload 3d maps to your unit and incorporate GPS with 3d maps.

Oh, my inner nerd is getting excited.
Old 02-11-11, 04:24 PM   #5
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

As a techie and a fisherman, I have heard lots about that program and almost all of it good. As they update and expand its capability and compatibility, it should be a very strong program.

Now the sonar manufacturers need to find a way to import the data back into the units for future use, or build a unit that uses real time data from GPS and sonar to create that information on the fly.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 04:28 PM   #6
3dkicker

Very cool idea!!! Never bought the navionics chip for my 'bird unit but did get a blank chip to store info on. Haven't used it yet. One day I'll take the book with me so I can figure out how to record some stuff from the river and then I'll post it. (And show all the dead bodies floating down river from DC )
Old 02-11-11, 05:23 PM   #7
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post

Now the sonar manufacturers need to find a way to import the data back into the units for future use, or build a unit that uses real time data from GPS and sonar to create that information on the fly.

You can use this program to import back onto lowrance units, and if you are brave enough to bring a laptop on your boat, there is a way to hook it straight to your unit to create on the fly mapping.

Once i get the hang of my SI unit, I think i'm gonna invest in this software
Old 02-11-11, 09:23 PM   #8
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Once i get the hang of my SI unit, I think i'm gonna invest in this software
I agree wholeheartedly, doc...this sounds great.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.