Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-11, 02:54 AM   #15
HawksFan67
BassFishin.Com Member

Here is a story I posted at one of the forums I buy/sell/trade sports cards at. It's about taking my step son to his first hockey game and the memories that were made.

I thought I'd share it because with all the help I've gotten from you guys, I hope to be writing about my fishing experiences with my son. So once again, a very heartfelt "thank you" to all who take the time to answer my questions.

Originally posted 10/29/2009

This isn't my usual show and tell post where I'm posting my pick-ups for the week. Instead, it is a post from a very proud step dad..................

This last week, I took my 6 year old step son Ethan to his fist major sporting event of any kind. Naturally is was a Chicago Blackhawks game. It made me feel so good to see his eyes wide open like a dear in headlights. He was so excited even though he had no idea what was going on.

We arrived early enough to see former Blackhawk Reggie Kerr signing autographs. Of course we stood in line for our turn and when I explained to Mr. Kerr that it was my son's first game his eyes grew big and his smile as wide as mine. He gladly signed an autograph for Ethan and when he shook hands with him he bellowed in a deep voice, "squeeze my hand hard like a man and look me in the eye's when you talk to me". Toughening up a future player???? My son squeezed his hand as hard as he could and said, "thank you Mr. Kerr", as we moved on. His first brush with an athlete........

Next, we moved on to where they we doing the pre-game live for comcast sports. I was going to pick him up on my shoulders and stand in the back round and hopefully get him on TV so his mom could see him. I made sure to tell her to watch the game just in case.

As we were waiting for them to go live I noticed a few of the Hawks ice crew girls posing for pictures with the crowd. ( Hubba ...Hubba..) I thought, sure why not. So I got my son in a picture with some HOTTIES...... Oh... to be 6 years old again......

BTW..... What the hell is that guy in the back round looking at????????

And of course they gladly signed an autograph for him...............

Comcast went live and I was able to get my son in the back round and I told him to wave at the camera. Not 15 seconds later I could feel the phone in my pocket vibrating. It was his mom as giddy as a school girl. "Oh my God he looks so cute!". She was watching her son on TV and couldn't believe it.

Too bad she didn't record it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We got the usual must haves for a game. Nachos, hot dog, soft pretzel and a couple of cokes, then settled into our seats. "Is this like where they play on TV dad?" Ethan asked. It almost brought a tear to my eyes because it was the first time he called me dad instead of Brian. I WAS SO PROUD.....

I said, "no, this is EXACTLY where they play on TV". He was so overwhelmed taking it all in. The huge building, the crowd and everything else going on around him that he was experiencing for the first time.

The lights dimmed and the crowd roared as the thunderous sound of the Hawks war drum started to beat.......BOOM....BOOM BOOM BOOM....BOOM....BOOM BOOM BOOM...........It was time for Hockey!!!!!

I could probably go on and on.............

In the end as we were leaving the building, Ethan asked me. "Could we go to that place by our house where they have the ice?". I said, "do you mean the ice rink where we saw those kids skating?". He said, "yes, can you teach me how to ice skate?". I said sure, no problem. Then he asked, "can you teach me how to play hockey?". I said ABSOLUTELY!!!

In the car on the way home I could see Ethan in the rear view mirror. Fast asleep, way past his bed time. As I looked at him a tear did come to my eye's. I wondered if I had done my father proud by passing on this right of passage. Remembering my first game with my dad and what it was like, and wondering what it must have been like for him and his father before him....

All I can say is, dad, I hope your proud of me. We have a new generation of Hawks fan in the family............

Thanks for reading as always................

Brian

HawksFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.