Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-06, 08:36 PM   #1
tournyfisher508
BassFishin.Com Member

Default just got out of boot camp

well just got out of boot camp im now a united states sailor but very far from the ocean lol im in school for my job and live on the shores of lake michigan. its called great lakes illinios and i was curious if there was anyone around here that would be crazy enouph to take me fishin before i spend a few hundred dollars on a guide. but the whole not fishin for 9 weeks realy sucks so ive got the itch
tournyfisher508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-06, 08:52 PM   #2
HulaPopr
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey kc, hows it goin? Haven't talked to you in a long time, you gonna do underwater welding? You best be getting some fishing in soon, another month or two, the lakes up there will be frozen solid most likely. Can't help you out much, but I finally did get that trolling motor...lol
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 12:13 AM   #3
tournyfisher508
BassFishin.Com Member

i knew u had the trollin motor i shiped sept 11th i rember like 2 weeks before i saw u on the lake but i dont no even were to begin to try and fish out here its crazy no vegitation on lake michigan at all woulnt no how to fish it lol but there is some good lookin canals and stuff but we gotta go fishin when i come home on christmas leave and im not gonna be doin any underwater welding just regular welding and firefighting and plumbing i am fireman dudley lol
Old 11-21-06, 05:40 AM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

kc long time no see..

well i have been at great lakes the coldest place i have ever seen in the dead of summer..

zooker
Old 11-21-06, 08:32 AM   #5
tournyfisher508
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah it is rediculusly cold and i no i spelled it wrong. but the water is not iced over yet so their is still the opertunity to catch some bass
Old 11-21-06, 02:38 PM   #6
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to perkdog65 Send a message via Yahoo to perkdog65
Default Great Mistakes

Well congrats on finishing boot camp...that's where I went but that was over 20 something years ago...lol and it was Nov/Dec...so believe me when i tell you it is only going to get colder, i couldn't get out of there fast enough. Wish i could help with the fishing but i wasn't there long enough...anyway good luck and fair winds and following seas.
Old 11-21-06, 05:01 PM   #7
bassnman30

I think that everyone should go through boot camp. Enables for better respect of others as well as higher discipline for ones self.
Old 11-21-06, 10:16 PM   #8
Bender

I'm on the other side of Michigan and already (thankfully with these temps) winterized my boat, sorry. Thank you for serving our country!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 10:37 PM   #9
HulaPopr

I don't know if youy could get a boat out, but on the southside of town about 6 or 7 miles from the city there are some excellent rock piles along the shoreline and a place called Wolf Lake is known for smallmouth bass right around there.
Old 11-21-06, 11:38 PM   #10
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Awesome, and thanks for your service, I have new respect for you now. I only fished the Great lakes a couple of times, and had success around riprap banks for largemouths. Supposedly the smallies are what to go for, but I never got any, but the tourney winners always had bags that just made me drool.

Lizards
Old 11-23-06, 01:42 AM   #11
tournyfisher508
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah i apreatiate the tips they got like a 16 foot sorta boat havent seen them w/ a 30 hp on the back for 18 an hour figure take a buddy w/ me it would be worth it and marty wheres that lake ur talkin about like exactly give me a call just got a cell phone 224 730 2717 and while ur *** is fishin on thanks givin my *** will be stipin and waxin floors i was lucky enouph to score the duty day for thanks givin but i got the rest of the weekend off so its ok
Old 11-23-06, 10:01 AM   #12
HulaPopr

Ok, there are a few different places you can go. Wolf Lake is right on the border with Indiana, a few miles south of downtown chicago. If you drive along I-90 there is a bridge going through it. Theres a canal leading to Lake Michigan if you want to go out on that to fish, just stay awyay from the main city.

If you can get a ride out there, the Fox Chain of Lakes is supposed to be really good. There is a public boat ramp on Grass lake. Look up the city of Fox Lake Hills on mapquest, you can figure out how to get there, its about 2hrs from the city. And there are a number of good rivers about 2-3hrs south of the city. The Kankakee River, Illinois River, and their backwaters.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.