Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-08, 11:34 PM   #1
Hook'em-AND-Cook'em
BassFishin.Com Member

sorry zooker, i'm still a bit confused about the pad. So i find the indented part above the plug hole and measure from the indention, or measure from the bottom of the boat in the middle of it (lowest part which is the centerline). I fooled around with the jackplate earlier but can't get it into the Ohio river due to high water level and closed gate at the ramp. Boat and motor are about level, held yardstick on centerline of bottom of the hull and pulled out to motor, measured to center of back of bullet to yardstick, and bullet is about 3 1/4" below centerline. About how close is this? Would this be a good starting point or should it be jacked up a lil more to about 2 1/2 to 3" below centerline?
Hook'em-AND-Cook'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 09:24 AM   #2
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em-AND-Cook'em View Post
Boat and motor are about level, held yardstick on centerline of bottom of the hull and pulled out to motor, measured to center of back of bullet to yardstick, and bullet is about 3 1/4" below centerline.
I think you got the measurement right. Now you need to be more precise. A quarter of an inch can make a surprising difference. Double check the measurement and raise 1/4 of an inch and try it. Keep track of your RPM and top speed, how big a rooster tail you are making, hole shot and water pressure. If you don't have a wp gauge I highly recommend one for your peace of mind and your motors continued good health.

I think your prop is close as you will pick up a coiuple hundred rpm as you raise the motor. Does you prop have holes thru the hub near the gear case ? If so do you have plugs or plugs with small holes ?

As you go up, at some point, you will begin to lose speed and or wp even though the rpm goes up. When you get there, go back down 1/4 inch and you should be pretty close.

The 186 is a quick boat and like all toons it will chine walk if you get much above 60 mph. There are a couple of sites that have good info about what this is and how to learn to driver at speed. Once you do, the feeling of airing one of these boats out is amazing. My TR20X/225 Opti has hit 75 and change ! I don't drive that fast on the highway
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 09:10 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em-AND-Cook'em View Post
sorry zooker, i'm still a bit confused about the pad. So i find the indented part above the plug hole and measure from the indention, or measure from the bottom of the boat in the middle of it (lowest part which is the centerline). I fooled around with the jackplate earlier but can't get it into the Ohio river due to high water level and closed gate at the ramp. Boat and motor are about level, held yardstick on centerline of bottom of the hull and pulled out to motor, measured to center of back of bullet to yardstick, and bullet is about 3 1/4" below centerline. About how close is this? Would this be a good starting point or should it be jacked up a lil more to about 2 1/2 to 3" below centerline?
Ok if the info you are giving us is correct and it sounds like it is..........You are at about the right hieight on the plate to start dialing here in. The important things to know are MAX rpms when running flat out......that is jacked up on the trim. If your new to bigger motors and dont have alot of seattime be careful. Even this como can get ya into trouble if you dont know the "feelings" of a boat. If you are comfortable than GIVE HER HELL. The other important numbers are the prop size and and brand and how well does she come out of the whole. Should fairly well hump onto plane when all else is set correctly. You may have already answered some of my questions.......there was so many on this post I had to read 3 times to get here. LOL if you have answered I'll be back with a recommendation.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.