Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-09, 09:39 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Angry Motorguide sucks...

Man, I don't know how Minn Kota's are built, but I'm serisouly considering finding out the next time I buy a trolling motor.

Since I've been experiencing random "no starts" on my Motorguide 67, I decided to take apart my lower unit today to see if there were any signs of overheating. I'm getting pretty tired of running aground on rocky banks when my trolling motor just decides not to work, and I don't have time to get the outboard running. Now JB and Woody might understand why I shut off so far from my fishing spot, and go electric the last 100 yards.

Well, I must say, the motorguide design is the most intentionally obnoxious deisgn I've seen. They attach the board that holds the brushes to the cap where the prop is mounted, rather than the main part where the armature is housed. The net result? It's like a frigging cruel puzzle, where you try to hold about 5 things in place to get it to fit back together. And you have to keep holding on to them while you close the housing around them, which totally gets in the way. I'm sure you've encountered something like this before.

As an Engineer who has designed machines, I can only conclude they did this on purpose, so as to require special tools, i.e, their techs to work on the stuff. It shouldn't be rocket science...it's a frigging DC motor. I about ripped my brushes apart getting them back onto the commutator. Now the motor has a little more noise to it, and will continue to, until the brushes wear back down totally smooth. At least I didn't see any sign of overheating, and no water leaks. Grrrrr. The problem remains undiagnosed.
Old 07-05-09, 09:49 PM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

sorry to hear abt your TM.

go with a minn kota...you wont regret it!!!
Old 07-05-09, 09:49 PM   #3
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nofear our MG was overheating and dying on us, and somebody told us to take the plug loose and tighten the wires in the plug. That fixed our problem. It is frustrating.
Old 07-05-09, 10:10 PM   #4
JB

those cords/plugs do get pulled on over the years, I've seen more than one cook from overheating
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 10:21 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you're TM isn't starting up, then I don't know, but if it's running and it shuts off when you t urn it a certain direction, then the wires in the shaft may be melted/rubbed and are exposed. We had this problem and had to rewire our TM.

BB
Old 07-05-09, 11:46 PM   #6
nofearengineer

The trolling motor will be running just fine. I'll let off of it, then the next time I hit the switch...nothing. And occasioanally, the prop will spin really weakly, as if the batteries were almost completely drained, which I know they are not. This last weekend, it did its no-start routine, but when I got it home, it worked fine. I thought it might be the rotary 5-speed switch, but I'm skeptical of that now.
Old 07-06-09, 08:01 AM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
The trolling motor will be running just fine. I'll let off of it, then the next time I hit the switch...nothing. And occasioanally, the prop will spin really weakly, as if the batteries were almost completely drained, which I know they are not. This last weekend, it did its no-start routine, but when I got it home, it worked fine. I thought it might be the rotary 5-speed switch, but I'm skeptical of that now.
That's the same way ours was acting. We took our plug apart and tighten the wires, problem solved.
Old 07-06-09, 09:32 AM   #8
nofearengineer

Thanks, Bcklash...I will investigate the plug. I'll be kicking myself if that was the problem or if my motor starts leaking now haha. I wiped a tiny amount of marine gease on the seals just to make sure.
Old 07-06-09, 04:56 PM   #9
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

In the armiture (think thats right) housing of the lower unit there is a ground wire that a lot of times is the culprit for this issue. If you turn it just right so as the ground wire is hitting the side of the housing it runs fine, but as the boat bounces and moves around and you lose that contact the motor will not run. Did you check this when you had it apart? Typically it's located just where the stem meets the lower unit housing.

This has happened to me a few times with both MK and MG
Old 07-06-09, 02:27 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01

i have been hearing a lot of complaints about motorguide as of late, and in fear of cursing myself and having my minn kota give me problems i have kept my mouth shut. but i know of 6 personal friends that have newer motorguides and all have had problems with them, most have been in the repair shop more than just a few times. i have never had any trouble with minn kota motors and don't know of anyone who has. i know this doesn't help your problem but i just thought i would agree with your motorguide sucks comment.
Old 07-06-09, 09:35 PM   #11
southernbassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I have some fishing buddies that have motorguide trolling motors. they have had trouble with theirs also. even when they are running good i still don't like the motorguide. ive got a minn kota and (knock on wood) i have not had one second of trouble out of it. If my minn kota quits tommarrow and lets all the magic smoke out, i'd go a get another one just like it.
southernbassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 09:57 PM   #12
bamabassman

<<<<<considers myself lucky i guess. no problems with mine and it has to be at least as old as the boat........1997 model. but i am wanting to upgrade to a 82# thrust. so i am thinking i might need to change brands?
Old 07-07-09, 07:11 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

I would be willing to bet my paycheck all you have to do is replace the switch in the foot pedal.
Old 07-12-09, 10:43 PM   #14
bassboogieman

I've had both and only Minnkota has caused me any problems.
I bought a MinnKota 101 two years ago, and to date I've replaced:
Bottom half of the head - it's all plastic and the center post on the base broke off (the one the indicator gear sets on).
The circuit board - fried in only 13 months of use (12 month warrnaty)
The shaft bearings - one popped a few of the balls in the bearings - they are incredibly cheap (both in construction and cost) I think two bearings cost me $3.00, they should be of a higher quality.
So the freakin' t/m was nearly $1200 and I've spent nearly $250 in parts - thankfully I did all my own labor or that would have been at least another $250.
I've owned 3 Motor Guides a 42# (12v) and two 67# (12/24v) on my previouse boats with no problems.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 06:14 PM   #15
flipclip
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a Minn Kota, they were having problems with a dead spot on the commutator. Mine would quit, I would pull it out and spin the prop an inch by hand and it would fire back up. Sometimes the force of the water just by lifting it would move it enough to fire it back up. They just replaced it free.
flipclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.