Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-07, 12:02 AM   #1
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89
Question Slow Bite?

Hi,

A strong cold front moved through last weekend and the bite has yet to recover. The water has cooled about 20 degrees in the past week, the bass have moved deep, the pond turned over, and everything's slowed way down. Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
-Eric
Old 10-27-07, 12:19 AM   #2
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

patience.. i would say that by either the weekend or next it should be set and the fish should begin their movement inland after the turnover. just slow your retreive a tad from the summer presentation. may be time to switch up to topwater or cranks as well .. try some black lures as well which seems to be the universial color regardless of the water you're in...
cdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-07, 09:30 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think if there is some brush in the lake, I would be working those areas in close with a P&J and a spinnerbait. Logs, stumps, fallen trees, areas like that bass will hold very close to after the water cools down. Especially if that cover is located on a point near deep water. If your lake has a stream flowing into it or canals fingering off of it, work those areas as they are less disrupted by the fall turnover.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-07, 10:11 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Like Keith said, work the cover. I'd suggest using a crankbait, like a Coffin billed or square billed. Also, When we had a cold front a few weeks ago, I was fishing a lipless crankbait. If you use a lipless crankbait, don't slow your presentation down.

BB
Old 10-27-07, 02:07 PM   #5
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Likely story. Bite has started to slow here also(SE Michigan). We went out this morning and only got five, no size to them. Got my three on my Purple, 5" X-Rap, and my father got his two on my homemade spinnerbait, 1/2 oz., blk/brwn/orange skirt.

ll
Old 11-01-07, 12:48 PM   #6
ESipes_89

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response and thanks again for the ideas. I'm goin' out this afternoon and will try your recomendations. The pond has now completely turned over and the bite should now start to return back to normal after a short time. (hopefully)

I'll get back to you guys tonight or tomorrow with the results and mabye a few pics.

Thanks,
-Eric

P.S., I'm fishing a 50-60 acre farm pond with no creeks or tributaries. It has a lot of stucture so the bass are fairly spread out but still fairly easy to find in a boat. The largest bass caught out of it was accually caught by my fishin' buddy about 3 weeks ago weighing in at 6lbs. 11oz. and 23" long.
Old 11-01-07, 03:40 PM   #7
mont_lunker_hunter

Don't forget about a Sinko or Yum Dinger during the slow bite. Cast right on top of the brush and let it sinkensit (aka, deadstickin)
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 10:27 PM   #8
ESipes_89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_lunker_hunter View Post
Don't forget about a Sinko or Yum Dinger during the slow bite. Cast right on top of the brush and let it sinkensit (aka, deadstickin)
That was accually the first thing I thought of and it didn't work.

It's still pretty slow. I had more luck on the fish we found near the surface with a popper. They seem to be in the sunny areas with a lot of weeds and sunken trees. Not a single fish, bass or not, was caught in the shade.

I caught 3 bass, 2 1lb bass and a 3lb. 12oz bass. The 3 3/4lb bass was caught on a cotton candy 7" Culprit worm worked real slow near a stump in the sun and the others were caught on a Blaze popper near stumps in the sun as well.

-Eric

P.S. Although the water has completely turned over (scattering the fish) and not nearly as cold, It is ridiculously clear.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.