Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-09, 01:37 PM   #1
rbranch
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hydro Sports

I just bought a used 1987 Hydro Sport VeeStar 100 with a Evinrude 90hp motor. For some reason it wants to go left on its on. What could cause this and how could I fix this? Also, the motor is a 4V 2 stroke, does anyone know if this motor is oil injected? It isn't right now but there is a capped off line beside the fuel line and I don't know what it is for. The guy that I bought it from didn't know much about. Does anyone know i this boat came with an onboard charger cause the switch on the bow says charge or run? The trolling motor is 12/24 volt and it is wired for 24. The plug is a 220 volt twist lock plug. One of the hot leg is marked 24, the other 12 and the ground. I guess, anyone can tell me everything that is known about them for I know not much. I emailed Htdro-Sports for info but who knows if they will send anything.

Thanks
rbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 01:56 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hmm hydrosports.. ok check the lower fin -not the skeg-the fin just above the prop.. a lil bit one way or another and it will pull. should be a bolt ifit wiggles remove the bolt and add a rubber gasket.-garden hose gasket will work-do NOT over tighten this bolt...

they did not have a on board charger back in 87.. so unless one has been added or a bridge has been added.. doh brain fart the older models of trollers have this charge/run switch..this was so you would not cook the troller during charging..bet it shuts the troller power off.. back then they did not have the 50 anp breaker we have in the new boats.. the 220 twist in plug is common place-got the same thing in my stratos..

zooker
Old 07-26-09, 02:01 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranch View Post
I just bought a used 1987 Hydro Sport VeeStar 100 with a Evinrude 90hp motor. For some reason it wants to go left on its on. What could cause this and how could I fix this? Also, the motor is a 4V 2 stroke, does anyone know if this motor is oil injected? It isn't right now but there is a capped off line beside the fuel line and I don't know what it is for. The guy that I bought it from didn't know much about. Does anyone know i this boat came with an onboard charger cause the switch on the bow says charge or run? The trolling motor is 12/24 volt and it is wired for 24. The plug is a 220 volt twist lock plug. One of the hot leg is marked 24, the other 12 and the ground. I guess, anyone can tell me everything that is known about them for I know not much. I emailed Htdro-Sports for info but who knows if they will send anything.

Thanks
All 2-cycle engines require the addition of oil to the fuel charge for lubrication. Some engines require it to be added to the fuel tank, while some inject it direct. Historically, some of the direct-inject motors have had problems where the injector would stop working, and the engine would just run until it seized and died. Some guys took to disabling the injector and just adding the oil to the fuel. It's not a perfect fix, as far as carburetor/injector settings, but it is foolproof. Sounds like someone did that to your engine.

It also sounds like they have the trolling motor batteries hooked up to charge them while running the outboard, with the flip of that switch. Be careful though, as it might just be an abandoned switch, not in use anymore. Always test your electrical system out to see exactly what you have. Don't take our word for it...we haven't seen your boat.

Just for your information, that plug should be referred to as a 12/24V plug. It may or may not be 250V rated. In the industry, plugs and receptacles are either referred to as the voltage they are connected at, or the voltage they are rated for.
Old 07-26-09, 04:38 PM   #4
zooker

skeer'dengineer needs to STOP analyzing,and let some one who KNOWS post up..

yep the rude needs oil. but what year is it?? old models take it differantly than newer models do. i was waiting on more info...

the 3 prog "dryer"plug is NOT your stock 220 outlet it just LOOKS like it..it IS a marine grade 3 prog plug in..

zooker
Old 07-26-09, 06:06 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
skeer'dengineer needs to STOP analyzing,and let some one who KNOWS post up..

yep the rude needs oil. but what year is it?? old models take it differantly than newer models do. i was waiting on more info...

the 3 prog "dryer"plug is NOT your stock 220 outlet it just LOOKS like it..it IS a marine grade 3 prog plug in..

zooker
Since I obviously don't "know"...could someone point out something I said that was incorrect? Of course, I'll feel free to return the favor.
Old 07-26-09, 06:39 PM   #6
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

now now play nice
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 06:29 AM   #7
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First need to know the year of the engine. I am betting if there is a plugged line yes it HAD VRO but I would NOT and did I rtell ya NOT hook it up........As far as the on board cgarger the system you are describing is like stated a way of charging the batteries with a battery charger that you have to hook up.......not just put it on charge and plug it up.....YOU WILL COOK EVERYTHING if you do that. That charge/run switch bypasses the troller so its not getting juice from both sides while charging.
Old 07-27-09, 08:51 AM   #8
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
As far as the on board cgarger the system you are describing is like stated a way of charging the batteries with a battery charger that you have to hook up.......not just put it on charge and plug it up.....YOU WILL COOK EVERYTHING if you do that.
I'm confused - if a charger is hooked to a battery (as well as system devices) I don't see how charging the battery (or batteries) is gonna is gonna cook anything - especially since it's not running (anymore than an alternator changing a battery when a vehicle is running).
I know I must be missing something ?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 06:13 PM   #9
rbranch
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks to all replies. I don't know the year model of the motor but it is a VRO. I agree on not hooking it up (I read on another site that it my be better to mix in the tank). I will continue to just do it the old way.

Is 24 volt better than 12 volt and why? I am considering wiring the batteries to be 12 volt only. The trolling motor has a switch for 12 or 24. Do I need to re-wire the plug? I don't think I do do but want to be sure first.

Forgot to add: I adjusted the fin above the prop and it did the trick. I went fishing this morning and it stayed on course better - thanks Zooker.

Last edited by rbranch; 07-27-09 at 06:21 PM.
rbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 07:20 PM   #10
zooker

24 volt has more push-err pull- than 12 volt it last longer per charge..which is important if your fighting alot of wind all day..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.