Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-12, 09:00 AM   #1
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Think I covered that with at least another transducer.Many boats not having a single hull thickness available so either a thru hull if available or a second one outside on transom.
Either case to me its easier just to add a simple unit that takes transducers that are cheap,do read well at speed,instead of playing with several transducers to get one to read on a 2k unit and then have possible interference problems on the troller,older tri beams dont seem to have all those troubles,even with the si transducers.Manual menu permits di and appear to operate ok to at least 60 mph.
I normally run a dedicated gps unit as ky lake one has to really pay att to it,a better tri beam on the front deck reading fornt and or back with a simpler unit on console,replacing that one with another tribeam shortly with y cables can read from both units at speed or slow.But its a personal slant,spent $ upon $ trying to get ducers that said they would that didnt on several units gave up, using the ducers on simpler units tribeam.Nice big screens to me anyway,was used to piranha 3 in stuff.Networking is hard to say the least with some models,having si or ci or sci in their name.
Lowrance is about the same two ducers or two units.Depends upon how much you want to spend when it gets down to it all.Most low guys go with a 5 at console then an 8 on front.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-11-12 at 09:13 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 06:20 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Think I covered that with at least another transducer.Many boats not having a single hull thickness available so either a thru hull if available or a second one outside on transom.
Either case to me its easier just to add a simple unit that takes transducers that are cheap,do read well at speed,instead of playing with several transducers to get one to read on a 2k unit and then have possible interference problems on the troller,older tri beams dont seem to have all those troubles,even with the si transducers.Manual menu permits di and appear to operate ok to at least 60 mph.
I normally run a dedicated gps unit as ky lake one has to really pay att to it,a better tri beam on the front deck reading fornt and or back with a simpler unit on console,replacing that one with another tribeam shortly with y cables can read from both units at speed or slow.But its a personal slant,spent $ upon $ trying to get ducers that said they would that didnt on several units gave up, using the ducers on simpler units tribeam.Nice big screens to me anyway,was used to piranha 3 in stuff.Networking is hard to say the least with some models,having si or ci or sci in their name.
Lowrance is about the same two ducers or two units.Depends upon how much you want to spend when it gets down to it all.Most low guys go with a 5 at console then an 8 on front.
I am totally lost I guess. I think you are talking about adding a second graph to read the depth in addition to the side imaging unit, but I might be misunderstanding you. Adding the through the hull transducer and the Y cable if he decides to go that way is without a doubt the better way to go for two reasons. First of all if you put another unit next to your side imaging unit you will risk having interference (especially if they aren't the same brand), you will have one more graph drawing power from your battery just for the sake of knowing how deep the water is, and adding another graph will be more clutter in the console. I don't have a clue what you are talking about when you suggest that the through the hull transducer won't work because of fiberglass thickness because there are millions of boats running this type of transducer without problems, as long as it's installed correctly.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.