Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-12, 04:30 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For someone just glancing at this thread, and who is not up on south park references, they might see the word n_ggers and think that you just used the N word. And whether or not the _ stands for an A or not, you have just created a bad impression.

Who could blame them?

I have a rebel flag at home, I havent flown it in a while. Why? Cause its a lot of trouble to explain that I dont interpret it in a racist way, that I am not a racist, ect...and to take the time to explain all that, you still end up at the end of the day with the other person not knowing if you are a racist and lying about what you meant or not.

I guess what I am saying is that for every joke I have ever made that got anywhere near the subject of race, I regret it. Yea, joking about race is a low hanging fruit, as Chappelle learned its easy to be funny when the subject is race relations. Chappelle also learned it is easy to put yourself in a longlasting corner, and perhaps take the discussion backwards a step.

(not trying to lecture you Bryce, you do as you wish, but I regret once pushing the envelope and I am sharing what I have found)
Old 08-04-12, 04:48 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
For someone just glancing at this thread, and who is not up on south park references, they might see the word n_ggers and think that you just used the N word. And whether or not the _ stands for an A or not, you have just created a bad impression.

Who could blame them?

I have a rebel flag at home, I havent flown it in a while. Why? Cause its a lot of trouble to explain that I dont interpret it in a racist way, that I am not a racist, ect...and to take the time to explain all that, you still end up at the end of the day with the other person not knowing if you are a racist and lying about what you meant or not.

I guess what I am saying is that for every joke I have ever made that got anywhere near the subject of race, I regret it. Yea, joking about race is a low hanging fruit, as Chappelle learned its easy to be funny when the subject is race relations. Chappelle also learned it is easy to put yourself in a longlasting corner, and perhaps take the discussion backwards a step.

(not trying to lecture you Bryce, you do as you wish, but I regret once pushing the envelope and I am sharing what I have found)
That was actually my fault. I posted a picture of the Wheel of Fortune scene from South Park. It was up for about 5 minutes and then it was gone. That's why I kept asking if it was there, I was going to take it down. Bryce did repeat it but I posted it initially and quickly regretted it.

I realize it makes little difference but I thought I would add some context to why NFE said what he did. It wasn't racially motivated at all, just in bad taste on my part.
Old 08-04-12, 04:50 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What I want to know, Billy...is why your post wasn't directed at Jrob. I merely acknowledged that I could indeed see the picture (see his post asking me), with a description of what what in it as a confirmation. The underscore was more literal than any attempt at cleverly disguising racist content.

Attaching responsibility for others' perceptions to the object of their perceptions is a dangerous thing.

I am simply unwilling to walk on eggshells to assuage VS's ignorance of one of the top television shows of all time.

***EDIT***I see your comment posted at the same time, Jrob. Thank you for attempting to clear that up. There was no malice intended in my earlier post either.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.