Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-07, 01:25 AM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default New Pond

My dad and I were driving and we saw this pond behind a new Wal-Mart.
We decided to cast a couple of times. I've noticed that around here, when there is a body of water with muddy water, there are lots of big fish. I felt confident that I could catch a fish on a jig, even though it would only be my second. I put some of that Smelly Jelly on a D.B. ProModel Jig in Texas Craw color with a Zoom Chunk, and started swimming the jig. I had a keeper hit about a foot from shore. It was my second bass on a jig, and my first Jig&Pig bass.

I went again today and now a jig is my go-to bait, because of the confidence I gained in it two days ago. The water has about 10" visibility, so I figured there wouldn't be much vegetation. I threw a Norman DeepLittleN, and within the first 20 casts, I had a nice one hit. He was near four pounds. I lost him because once again, I didn't use my brain. He jumped and shook the hook right at the shore. I should've had my rod tip lower. I gave the crankbait a break and tried a bunch of other lures. I went back to the crankbait and caught this 18". (not nearly as big as the one I lost)

A couple of minutes later, I decided to pitch a jig into some trees for a squirrel. The pond is completely surrounded by trees with few openings. I pulled a little 13" bass out of the trees. This was my third jig bass.

I came to this drainage pipe that was completely exposed, so I jumped onto it, walked out and dropped my jig straight down. I landed two more 13" bass. I kept doing the same thing, and I landed a total of 5 jig&pig bass for the day.

I started swimming the jig down the bank and a foot away from me BAM! A five pounder ran off with it. Again, I lost him because my damn rod was too high. This happened FIVE more times, and every bass was at least four pounds. It was crazy! Then I had to leave.

I was using 20 pound test monofilament with a 7'H rod and a tight drag.
Tomorrow I will go to the store and buy some 80 pound test PowerPro, and 10 jigs. I lost two.

If my dad and I had a canoe, I bet we would catch tons of big bass. We only covered about 1/10 of the shoreline, because there is 5 foot tall grass everywhere.

I guarantee that my biggest bass will come out of this pond. I know you're probably sick of hearing about my five pounders coming off, but I will land one and take pictures.

I only posted this because I've been wanting to catch a fish on a jig for a long time, and I'm happy that I've accomplished my mini-goal.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 02:16 AM   #2
millsryno
BassFishin.Com Member

I love finding new ponds like that...just wish there were more of them here in the desert (Arizona) i used to find a couple in CA.

Good job on those fish!
Old 07-24-07, 11:47 AM   #3
CLENSKH
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CLENSKH

I have no ponds like that here in CA where I live... Just highly fished lakes.
Old 07-24-07, 01:47 PM   #4
jooleyen

I'd rather have highly fished lakes, a working boat, and big bass though
Old 07-24-07, 03:07 PM   #5
CLENSKH

Well we got the lakes got a Ranger Camanch 519 and big bass ( at times ) But those farm ponds hold HUGE bass up here..
Old 07-24-07, 05:25 PM   #6
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

You don't need that 80-lb line Joolz!! Just play your drag, keep the rod tip up w/ constant, steady tension(no slack in line), and let your rod do the work, that is what it was for right? Also, that 80-lb line will not allow you to cast as far. I like to use Shakespeare Supreme SuperSmooth 10-12 lb mono. You don't need that heavy of line for bass fishing - no matter what cover you fish. Try downgrading to a smaller size of mono or floroucarbon in the 10-14 lb range. This should let you cast farther and give you the most fight for your rig...

-LL-
Old 07-24-07, 05:36 PM   #7
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

LL, you must have an eye for line diameter.

Joolz, if indeed that IS 80lb line, ditch it and buy yourself some 20lb Powerpro. You'll be much happier in the long run.
Old 07-24-07, 06:39 PM   #8
CLENSKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
You don't need that 80-lb line Joolz!! Just play your drag, keep the rod tip up w/ constant, steady tension(no slack in line), and let your rod do the work, that is what it was for right? Also, that 80-lb line will not allow you to cast as far. I like to use Shakespeare Supreme SuperSmooth 10-12 lb mono. You don't need that heavy of line for bass fishing - no matter what cover you fish. Try downgrading to a smaller size of mono or floroucarbon in the 10-14 lb range. This should let you cast farther and give you the most fight for your rig...

-LL-

Hmm I dont know where you fish but I have busted fish off of 20Lb line in heavy cover... I had to switch to braid for flippin jigs at clearlake. Just my .02
Old 07-24-07, 07:43 PM   #9
Super Fluke

That looks like fun at that pond.
Old 07-25-07, 11:37 AM   #10
skeeter944

Great job jools! I was at the same place you are at now, I hadnt caught a bass on a jig and now, I have caught around 5 or 6 including 3 in a tournament. I really like dampeoples jigs, they are very good.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 11:53 AM   #11
jooleyen

Thanks guys!
Old 08-07-07, 04:17 PM   #12
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

no ponds were I am except mine and my neighbors which mine is the only one with bass that I know of. Lots and Lots of reserviors around here though. gotta get a trolling motor and ya know... maybe a liscence for the boat... lol
we don't een have the title for it y3et, it's still in my grandma's name. i love it, even though it is only a 14' v-hull. it's still loads of fun.
Old 08-07-07, 08:47 PM   #13
bassfisher02

You dont have to have a boaters liscense to operate a boat, but it cuts back on insurance. I took my boaters liscense course a few years ago. But you do need the title, and regristration. Thats the first thing the GW will check, right before fishing liscense [Provided you are atleast 16 years of age, and what a bummer it is. I used to be able to fish for free, now I need a liscense. But I'm saving up 700$ for my lifetime fresh/saltwater fishing and hunting liscense, makes a lot more sense in the long run].
Old 08-07-07, 11:02 PM   #14
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

not a boaters liscence that we need. it's a liscence for the boat. ya know like you have to get for a car. except on a car you get a liscence plate to prove it. on a boat you get some stickers with numbers and your state...
Old 08-08-07, 01:36 PM   #15
bassfisher02

Oh, I was under the impression you were talking about a boaters liscense. My bad.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.