Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-07, 06:44 AM   #1
George_Welcome
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Stick Marsh/Farm 13 Florida

A highlight to any fishing trip is taking family members out for some catching of these illusive critters known to us as bass. However, watching the youngsters in the group progress in their appreciation of this great past-time is particularly exciting. I had the extreme pleasure of having my oldest grandson for the last couple of weeks and he is quickly becoming quite the adept bass fisherman.

Chris Welcome with one of many caught over the last couple of weeks.
[img]

http://www.imaginationbassin.com/photogallery/July2007/July2007/dcp_1193.jpg[/img]
On some of the trips good friend Don Willis accompanied us and although Chris plied a hot stick, Don wasn't getting left behind in the catching.

The weather over the last couple of weeks has been a bit on the warm side but cooperating bass make the heat seem less intense. Our longest day has been 4-hours, but during that time we made good use of our time and hauled in the bass. There has been several days of bonus fishing due to the increase in lake levels because of the rains that have thankfully come to our area. You can pretty much count of afternoon thunder boomers settling into the area every day now. Our weather patterns have returned to normal which is a major improvement over last summer. As you can see by the pictures, the heat hasn't stopped the bass from wanting to play.

Chris with another that fell to the deception that only a Yamamoto SwimSenko can offer.

Current generated by the farm's irrigation system has played a major part in our fishing over the last couple of weeks. As long as there was a noticeable current being produced at the pumping station, there were bass to be caught. When fishing this current position is key to catching fish. The structure and cover is comprised of humps, holes, shell beds, and grass. Ten feet in one direction or the other is all it takes to be catching as opposed to fishing. The primary rig for this situation of current is the Carolina rig. We have had excellent results using a rig with 3/8 to 1/2 ounces of weight and about a 2 foot leader.

Although the spillway has been opened a time or two, the water coming through is low quality so for the most part the fishing in that area has been more fishing than catching. However, you never know so checking it out if is flowing is always a good thing to do. Please remember courtesy in this area as it is small and will only support so many boats. The same holds true for the pump house area.

When the pump and spillway are not working it is time to hit the ditches and their adjacent levees. We have had good success on the center E/W ditch using Yamamoto SwimSenkos, and some success with a rattle trap. Any of the dark colors will produce with the Senko and a chrome/blue w/orange belly is the leader in the traps. Always keep your eyes open for shad busts and have a top water ready for such an event. Summertime is buzz bait time and we prefer this to the chug bug or other top water chugger.

If you are not finding them on the Farm side then head for the Marsh. We have found some really good fish spread out through the Marsh. Best producer has been the SwimSenko, with rattle traps coming in in second place. Again, colors for the baits are the same.

With the SwimSenko use a 1/4 to 3/16th ounce weight in either Florida weight, or torpedo. The ideal material is tungsten as you can keep the bulk down and avoid getting hung in the brush. Brass is the next chose with lead being the poorest choice. It doesn't take long before the lead gets closed up with all the brush encounters.

Line strength and rod are important issues here on our lake. Use adequate line, (17-20 pound test) and a rod with sufficient backbone to bring this fish through the brush. Ten pound line can bring in a 15 pound bass, but not here on the Marsh.

During this month of August we anticipate the fishing to get better and better. With the increase in rain we expect more and more current flow situations which will set the bass in very findable locations.

See you out there. Say hi if you get the chance.
Old 08-02-07, 04:11 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks for the report George. I'm heading down to kissimmee in 2 weeks, so its good to see that some anglers are still catching down there in central florida. The polk ledger report for kissimmee was a little depressing, lol. But I'll get on the bass, one way or another.

1 question, do anglers down there every do any serious night fishing? Up here in north alabama its what you have to do this time of year...what type of areas would I target since we are talking florida lakes (miles of grass)?
Old 08-02-07, 04:29 PM   #3
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I'm no professional guide WTL, but seeing as I lived and fished in central Florida for a good while I think I may be able to throw in some helpful hints to go along with George's reply.

Night fishing definitely takes place at this time of the year, as in a lot of different states. I dont think you will see that big of difference between the number of anglers who night fish in central Florida than in Texas, but you probably might find quite the difference in Central Florida than in maybe Washington State or any other northern states where the water may still be fairly cool, in comparison. Also, we have been recieving daily afternoon showers, so the water is cooler than what it has been, so night fishing may not be AS big now compared to earlier this summer when the drought was pretty intense. But nonetheless night fishing deffinitely takes place, and will produce. I dont think its something you HAVE to do to catch fish, but it certainly woudlnt hurt.

As in where to fish, as you probably already know [natural] Florida Lakes are shallow, 15' at most... most in the 10' range. Lots and lots of large shallow grass flats, and depending on the area some good stump feilds and cypress trees. Since there is so much grass in the lakes, look for something that sets a certain grass clump apart from all the rest, maybe timber or depth. This time of the year target clumps that are in fairly deep water, near shallower flats. Also finding any drop-offs you can will deffinitly produce. Lilly pads are also a good idea, but again if its a large area with all lilly-pads, find the area that sets itself apart form therest, thats where you will find the larger fish. In the heat of the day fish deep, obviously, or areas with good vegetation and cover. Its pretty much the same fishing, just brought down to a shallower scale, and not so clear as you may be used to. Its all about finding the areas that are set apart, locating deeper structure, finding the drop-offs, or if possible the currants and creek beds. Always fish a creek head coming into the lake if possible. Now this is just what has done good for me in the past, so I will leave it up to the professional to set you in the right direction =]
Old 08-03-07, 05:41 AM   #4
George_Welcome
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Night fishing is possible on any water, but a good deal of the Florida lakes are not so productive. Two reasons: 1; extremely dark water - 2; it's difficult to reel and swat bugs at the same time. I have witnessed this phenomenom so I know its accuracy: It takes 4 Florida mosquitoes to carry a full grown person if they have a rod, reel, and 12 pound bass on the line. It take 3 if there is no fish on the line.

I highly recommend talking with the locals at Camp Mack for current situations. We are recovering from the drought pretty quickly and I don't know the effects there. My thoughts would definitely be structure related first and then cover second.

Summer baits: Buzzbait - rattletraps - soft plastics - spinner bait. My initial, (I always like to try) would be a buzzbait, but I would put it down quickly if no action. I would use either the rattletrap, SwimSenko, or spinnerbait next and would follow-up with weightless Senkos.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.