Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-10, 03:04 AM   #1
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Whats does it take to go Pro?

I have some really big things going on in my life will let me live the dream. I am seriously considering a full two years as a non-boater (I.e. co angler) in the FLW and Won tournaments and continue fishing my own boat in local clubs throughout So Cal, Nevada, NW Delta basically the Columbia the balance of this year and then move over to the East and South side events next year. (BASS/FLW etc) (Splitting my time east and west) After that sit down and see if I still have the passion and what it takes to go Pro full time.
I have the resources and passion. My strength would be my metal ability and gift. I can block out 99% of the fisherman banter and drama. I have been a semi pro golfer in the past and self employed my entire adult life as a serious dedicated entrepreneur. So I am the most confident in my mental toughness. My weakness would be my physical ability. Some I can fix some I cannot. Even though I have mental toughness, I am a sore loser but not to the point of Ike on the outside. Inside, you bet….
My most serious consideration is that fishing is a great source of fun for me. It’s very much like my day to day business the more I focus the better I do. Technically I still have a lot to learn and do not even put myself in the same boat - pun intended with the top combined 50 pros on BASS and FLW. I would love to know what KVD has forgotten. I can go do this and fail and still have fun doing it. I am blessed to have the opportunity to live the dream and would greatly regret not acting on it accordingly. My core business after years of hard work is in a great spot to wind things down to my son running the day to day or just one dedicated employee. Which means I don’t need to be there for the day to day events which gives me the best of both worlds. An income and support for being on the road and still have the respect of my long time clients and their referrals.
What I am thinking of doing is sponsoring an existing full time pro on each tour and like I said fish from the back and learn as much as I can. I am always the first one to a tournament as an entrant or spectator and the last one to leave. I can’t get enough! The competition side of me for this sport is like nothing else in my life. I have a great family a wife of 29 years and her support along with some great friends.
I belong to a few other sites and basically for the sake of time I only post on this one as it tends to have less drama than the others. Would appreciate some comments and thoughts from the members and maybe a story or two of those who have tried it and failed or succeeded. There is not one single reason for me doing this – it’s the absolute opportunity of a life time. It’s amazing to me to think of what one needs to do in order to do something like this. This seems to be one of those applications that the harder you work the luckier you get. I would think one needs lots and lots of luck at this level to accent ones skill sets. I don’t think I would be wrong in saying I have seen others become professionals with a lot less to work with that what I have. I am truly the luckiest hardest working guy you will ever meet.
Thoughts?
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.