Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-12, 01:05 AM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Anyone familiar with Green Bay on Lake Michigan?

BASS just released a map of the area of Green Bay that will be fished during the "Mystery" tournament in a couple of weeks. It appears as though the WI DNR put most of the bay off limits during the tournament, including prime bass waters.

I don't know anything about Green Bay or Lake Michigan but you can tell by the map they are only allowed to fish the southern tip of the bay. Why have a tournament there if they have most of the good water off limits? Does the WI DNR look down on bass fishing as some of the commenters suggest, (including an Elite Pro from WI)?

In the grand scheme of things, these guys will catch fish and the playing field is even. It does seem like the hosts would want to attract as many fisherman to their state as possible by putting on a great tournament with big weights. If Joe or anyone else from that area have any opinions on the subject, I'd love to hear them.

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/where...ill-be-fishing
Old 06-14-12, 06:39 AM   #2
kennethdaysale

I know nothing about WI DNR but it seems a little snobbish to me. Like a poster said in the BASS piece, gas and time alone already imposes a built in limit. Besides, a BOW that size can soak up 99 boats like a grain of rice in a fat mans intestinal tract.
What is WI's "darling" fishery anyway? Walleye?
I suggest that for the next BF.com jamboree we all go to Sturgeon Bay and anchor out in a big circle, turn our stereos full blast to "Southern Man" and beat the water to a froth.
Old 06-14-12, 10:10 AM   #3
joedog

Wisconsin's DNR is very anti tournament (bass).
In thier eyes it's to protect fish.
While back there was a big kill off of caged fished before release after tourny in Lacrosse.
But they are back in LaCrosse this year, plus Green Bay.
The area is a meca for tourists so my guess is they flat out don't need or want the money. Heard BASS fought hard to get the Green Bay deal due to the GREAT small mouth fishing now. Also heard the resorts fought hard to keep them out. Tourism is big money for Wi. There are numerous large lakes that won't allow any tournies including charity events. Others allow paper only tournies. We also have the most backwards closed seasoon any where. First weekend of March till first weekend in May.
Now LaCrosse is diehard outdoors. Kids can go to library and 'check out' a fishing pole, tackle box full of hooks, bobbers, sinkers and a stringer to boot.
So it doesn't surprise me they are back in LaCrosse.
Actually may go cause I got a wedding I'm attending that Sat. anyway plus I fortunatly have numerous friends on the River.....so .....looks like I may be forced.
Oh, my son's mom's mom owns a like Bar Barge, get beer and crap there. It's located in the park where the wiegh in is plus his mom has a boathouse directly across the river. The waters thin here so can sit on boathouse deck and watch them come in.
I knew there was a reason I didn't kill her.

Remember this is a state that tried to recall a Governor because they didn't get what they wanted for Christmas.

Now on the more positive side...if the weather (wind) holds the area can DEFINITLY produce enough GOOD fish for what should be a good tourny. If it's windy it may make for some crowded waters because they nocked out most protected bays and such (resorts).

Now this is what I hear and is MY interpretation of what I heard....not facts....well, maybe not facts.
Old 06-14-12, 11:49 AM   #4
Jrob78

Thanks for your input Joe, I knew you would have an idea as to why they did this. It sounds like a great fishery that we won't get to see at its full potential. BASS should have scheduled this tournament somewhere else.
Old 06-17-12, 10:10 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't know a lot about the pilitics involved or any of that stuff regarding this issue, but I do know the bay has a lot of pike swimming around. I watched a show on Midwest Outdoors and they were catching tons of pike in the bay. I think it may be interresting to see how many pike they hook into while persuing bass.
Old 06-18-12, 01:11 PM   #6
Bassboss

Interesting! I'll definitely be attending this one!
Old 06-18-12, 02:25 PM   #7
lilmule

Isnt Wis also a non cull state once in live well stay.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 04:15 PM   #8
joedog

Was a no cull but I think that was removed, not positive though.
Old 06-18-12, 08:30 PM   #9
Jrob78

I haven't heard anyone b**tching about no cull, so it must not be. I do believe I read that Minnesota was no cull though.
Old 06-19-12, 12:33 AM   #10
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I haven't heard anyone b**tching about no cull, so it must not be. I do believe I read that Minnesota was no cull though.
As far as I know, once a fish is in your livewell in MN, it counts against your daily limit for that species.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 11:23 AM   #11
Jrob78

Even KVD has something to say about this.

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/you-g...wisconsin-fans
Old 06-26-12, 06:06 PM   #12
Jrob78

Jerry McKinnis weighs in...

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/crammed-box
Old 06-28-12, 12:04 AM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I read in a BassMaster magazine earlier in the year or maybe later last year that Wisconsin lifted the no cull rule. They claimed it was in an attempt to attract some of the bigger tournaments. But after this move by Wisconsins DNR I really doubt if they have any interest in attracting future tournaments. This was the biggest low life sucker punch I have ever heard of in this sort of situation. It's too bad that B.A.S.S. wasn't able to move the tournament somewhere else where it is wanted. What really bothers me about it is that a regular angler is allowed to take his daily limit home and kill and eat all of the fish. But they claim that fish mortality is a reason for this move and that is BS. You are talking about 100 anglers that will be releasing every fish they weigh, and the mortality rate on fish in these tournaments is so low that it is a non-issue. It was nothing other than a sucker punch that is going to cost Wisconsin a lot of money in the future and that is unfortunate. It sounds like all the anglers are fishing the same little area. It's selfish of me to look at it like this but how in the world are you supposed to pick a fantasy team of guys you think will do well when it all might just come down to the order they take off in?
Old 06-28-12, 08:14 AM   #14
bassboogieman

I saw the McKinnis story and was happy to see an offical of B.A.S.S. speak out against Wisconson's DNR. Their decision was made by individuals who are either totally ignorant of fish keeping practices of tournament anglers or fishing in general. It's also blatently obvious the Wisconson DNR is anti-fishing - at least on the professional tournament level - and totaly unaware or just do not care about the economic impact on the area such decisions will have going forward. That they also took a cue from the Politicians and covered the reasons for making the decision in such transparent excuses (lies) that anyone with only a touch of common sense can see right through it. That those in charge at the DNR are so ill informed, anti-fishing (hunting also?) and do not welcome economic imput into their area is appalling. Hopefully the citizens of Wisconsin respond by putting the Governor and his appointees overseeing the DNR out of a job, affecting their economics as they have the Green Bay area businesses. If the policies of the Wisconsin DNR become a model for other states, those of us that enjoy the outdoors will certainly suffer for it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 12:22 PM   #15
Jrob78

Here's the thing I don't get, they have pro Walleye and Trout tournaments out of the Bay all the time. They are allowed to fish anywhere they want and from what I understand, the vast majority of the fish caught in those tournaments die. Fish dying is not the issue here at all. It seem like they are just against bass fishing. If they didn't want the bass tournament there, why didn't they just say no? What's the point of going on with it but restricting it like they did? They waited to set the boundary until BASS had no other options. Like Kory said, it was sucker punch and low blow.

It also really sucks for the people of WI. Besides the money they won't make from tourism, it puts them in a bad light, which it shouldn't. In reality, they are some of the best fans in the country. Last weeks tournament in La Crosse was awesome, the fans came out in droves and represented themselves with class and enthusiasm. I feel bad that they are denied all the benefits that could have been received from an outstanding smallie tournament. Plus, I doubt BASS will have a big event there again any time soon.

Last edited by Jrob78; 06-28-12 at 12:46 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 04:08 PM   #16
bassboogieman

I have no clue. This whole issue has a bad political stink to it. Maybe the DNR wanted concessions or a little grease and B.A.S.S. said NO. Who really knows, but it sounds fishy to me. Seems to be some discrimination going on. certainly favortitism and all the other bad thughts that come to my head, especially when the DNR offers excuses that are complete bullcrap that any fisherman can see right through. Biased decisions, bullcrap excuses (bald faced lies, actually) and what opinions do you form? Seems the DNR feels they can do as they please, say what they want and be taken as stewards of the fishery - as I said, I call BULLSH!T, something is going on with the Winconsin DNR and it can't be ethical and it sure isn't smart. I hope that big toe they stubbed develops gangrene and falls off.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 12:52 AM   #17
joedog

I think they will be back in LaCrosse.
Pretty hard to beat that crowd last week.
DNR's final stance in GreenBay was that fish die if transported in livewell farther than 25 miles on big water. Ya ok.
CRAZY...OUT DATED...UNINFORMED...BULLS**T!

But thats just my view.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.