Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-11, 12:33 PM   #1
DougV
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rod and Reel Protection with the Rod Jacket

I just became acquainted with Angler Innovations Rod Jacket that not only protects the Rods but also covers the Reel. It's made from Neoprene to protect the rod and guides and provide more protection. Check out the short video clip I did showing this new Rod Jacket and the Ultimate Protection for your Rods and Reels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fenXTApsmxU
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 03:50 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good Lord man you're hard on your tools. Thank goodness you found a new rod jacket to protect them. I like the reel cover being attached to the rod cover.
Old 09-12-11, 06:11 PM   #3
Jrob78

It's a very cool product but kind of pricey.
Old 09-12-11, 09:01 PM   #4
DougV

Compared to the Plastic "Chinese Finger Trap" Sleeves that cost about $7 to $8 a piece and can scratch the blank and offer no reel protection. $20 is a cheap investment to protect both the Rod and Reel with soft cushioney neoprene. With the rising cost of your investment in both the Rod and Reel $20 to me is a cheap insurance to keep them in top shape.
Old 09-15-11, 01:52 AM   #5
islandbass

I think the price is reasonable, considering the material used. I love neoprene as a material. They done did it right with this product. Doug, is there a spinning rod version? I didn't see one at TW.
Old 09-15-11, 09:46 AM   #6
DougV

They currently have the Right Hand Cast Rod Jacket. A Left Hand Version is coming soon and a Spinning Reel Version too. http://www.anglerinnovationsusa.com

I am working with them on some other cool boat and fishing accessories too! Should be alot of neat things coming soon!
Old 09-15-11, 10:23 AM   #7
Bender

I have been going back and forth between the big Cabela's ones with the plastic sleeve that covers your bait and the Chinese finger-cuff ones. The ones that cover your bait take up too much space since I carry 20-25 rods in my locker. I do like the idea of the reel cover on these but wish that they had a way to cover up baits with treble hooks too. Most of my reels have become scratched since I don't cover them, other than Calais which comes with a cover. Do hook points seem to grab the neoprene and less than other materials?

My ideal cover would be small to save space, cover the bait, and cover the reel. Also it would be easy to store them after they are not on the rod anymore.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 11:37 AM   #8
bassboogieman

Only issue I have is neoprene does not breathe - and when I put my rods and reels away after a day they are often damp, just from the water spray off the line while casting. After a day of fishing in showers or a light rain they are very wet, and I would not put them in neoprene jactets. The "chineese finger" sleevees do allow air to get to the rods, although I wouldn't put wet rods (after a rain) in those either.

I think the neoprene may also tend to sweat inside a humid rod locker, where the nylon jackets do not. I would think sweating inside the neoprene might promode mildew on rods that may not be used very often and spend a lot of time stashed away in the rod locker. Same true for the reels covered in that same material.

They might be ok to protect a rod in the back of a truck while traveling, or from home to the bank (stream/lake) but I don't think so for storing them in a rod locker in a boat. But I have rod cases for my rods in addition to the "stick jackets" to protect them while traveling.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 12:06 PM   #9
DougV

I didn't know the answer since I'm very new with the Angler Innovations Rod Jacket so I went straight to the top for an answer:

"The neoprene we use is a all way strectch neoprene and it dries really fast in
sun: 15 min or less; in damp enviroment: air dry in few hours about the same
time it take the cork to dry on your fishing rod. The covers are mold and mildew resistant, weve tested the Rod Jackets for two years and we have had not one have any mold or mildew signs or smell. One customer claimed they even float but we personaly have never tried."

I hope this answers your question about Mold, Mildew and Neoprene they use. Guess I'm going to have to test the floating aspect...Since I've proved the Humminbird 1198c and my Talon Remotes Float...LOL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.