Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-07, 10:06 AM   #1
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What Happens To Swallowed Baits?

I was wondering about this recently. Since we all generally love the sport of fishing, and want only what is best for the fish-those that we catch & release anyway. How does a bass' stomach digest, process, or pass items like soft plastics?

Has there been any research done on this subject? It would occur to me that a bass CAN'T digest it. If this is truly the case, how does he pass it? I have seen fish poo before, and it does not look like they are capable of passing anything very big in size.

Won't the plastics block their intestines? I ask these questions because I know a bass will pick up a discarded worm, or a worm that is lost due to line breakage and they will eat it. My mother is a dead stick fisher person. She casts out plastic worms and leaves them where they lay until a bass comes a long and picks it up. I know that if she is catching fish this way, that bass will eat plastics that-for whatever reason-are found on the bottom with no one there to remove them from the fish' mouth.

I would hate to think that lost soft plastic lures are painfully killing the animal that ingests them. This is why I thought I would post this. Does anyone know what happens to a bass that ingests plastic...?
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 12:04 PM   #2
chjohnson622
BassFishin.Com Member

I do not know if a fish can digiest a plastic worm but I have seen fish in my livewell with worms being passed. Not spit out but being passed fish with worms hanging out. I have not seen this alot but I have seen it a time or two
chjohnson622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 12:09 PM   #3
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default plastics

i have actually witnessed a hook pass through a fish and try to come out
the anal end. i gently removed the hook and let the fish go. whether or not bass can breakdown plastics in their stomachs, i do not know. try not to dwell on the fish so much. it will take the sport out of catching em.
c.p.r. is all we need to do.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 04:14 PM   #4
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Well, all stomachs have some level of acidity in them, from humans to fish to other animals. So I'd believe that the worm would be broken down in some way, maybe making it softer, or maybe even breaking it down entirely... But some kind of breakdown will occur, how much is another story. I dont think a swallowed plastic is something that needs to be worried about much, litter and polution do more killing than a plastic worm I'd think.
Old 09-07-07, 05:15 PM   #5
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Does CPR stand for Catch (the fish), Picture (as in take one), and then Release?
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 06:30 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yep, it does.
Old 09-07-07, 07:26 PM   #7
lizardsrule

Bass can always regurgitate anything in their stomachs. I've had a few thing pop up in the live well before from this LOL.

Lizards
Old 09-07-07, 07:37 PM   #8
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bass can only digest biodegradable baits, if a bass swallows a plastic bait two things will happen:

1.- It will regurgitate it
2.- It will transit unadultered through the digestive system and will be pooped out.

NEVER pull a bait protruding from the anus if you happen to catch a fish pooping out a soft plastic bait, you are going to do more harm by doing what you think itīs right, you think itīs right but certainly itīs not.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 10:04 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Yeah, if a bass gets a plastic, and it can't digest it, it'll regurgitate [sp?] it. I honestly don't think it will do any harm to the fish though.

bb144

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.