Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-05, 10:12 PM   #1
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default tikki'n around those pesky 'gills...

Tonight I got to try the tikki stick everyone probably already has tried, but I went out and rigged it wacky style.
Used a offset shank Gammy 3/0 and was throwing a brown colored tikki with red fleck.
Ok heres my gripes lol....
First of all the bluegills tortured me to death, they seem to like it too, and hit it just like my ol' buddy mr. largemouth,
I kept feeling the peck, thump, and then the line would move just like it was supposed to, and I'd rear back
and do one of my hook sets Â*from hell
only to realize it was ol gill nibbling on me..
I finally got many 15+ inch bass on the tikki, almost every one of them threw the plastic up the line, and while I was getting the hook out they flopped around on me and threw the tikki in the drink~ sound familiar..
So I go back to my method, this time I have learned to reel down and feel for some weight of the bass, instead of spazzin' out , and caught few more, its indeed a good bait..
I notice that you have to rehook the center for a tighter grip on the plastic or it comes off
I also noted to myself if I go into a tourney with this bait I'd better stock up, I went through many tonight Â*
either flipping them off with the cast, or loosing them during the fight...heck as long as they work , what the hey...
I am still amazed at how many bluegills tried to rape this bait, I got one gill with the hook in the side, I am guessing they take the tail or head n run with it
The bass sure like em tho..
My main purpose tonight was to give them something dif to look at, hooking it in the middle, I watched as I worked it, it doesn't do a damn thing , except look like a worm doing aerobics lol
I dead sticked it and thought, well this ain't no fun atall
Many let it cast out and sink, many of the bigger fish I did hook sucked it in and the line came at me, I then kinda swept the rod to make sure it was on, and then reared up to set the hook,....that technique bothers me, I am used to the quick hookset.
I kept thinking some clown keeps posting how not to set the hook but to keep reeling, I know for me that will bite me in the arse, I gota set the hook.
So over all rating of this bait...pretty impressive,, I dont know if its the texture, or smell or salt or all of the above that make it work,
My next step is to go back to texas rig it, no weight and then try weight, I kinda learned last year on the Sticko,
its about the same deal..
The bag of tikki's wasn't expensive at all , but damn they come off to easy whacky style, I need someone to sponser me so I can have endless supply lol 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.