Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-06, 08:00 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Non fishing related topic , in the proper place..

I got a problem with our small hick town law enforcement here in indiana. My wife is 7 months pregnant with my new fishing partner , and she got a seatbelt ticket the other day for not wearing a seatbelt that rubs her belly and causes irratation , tonight she got another one for not wearing a seatbelt , and she did have it on , but the shoulder belt was under her arm , instead of over it. I call Bulls*it , it was on , just not correctly. I am going to fight this crap , she must get a not from her doc. if she wants to fight this. Wouldnt a seatbelt in an accident cause life threatning damage to an unborn child ? What the **** does it matter if a person doesnt want to wear a seatbelt anyway ? its our body , there should be no law anyway !! What are your thoughts to seatbelt laws and or this situation ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 08:06 PM   #2
skeeter944

i think seat belts are a must. it is the law to always have it on here in south carolina.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 08:30 PM   #3
CMorg

I fully understand what seat belts are for. I question why the lawmakers have the authority to make a seatbelt law. If its simply for my own safety , then they should stop people from smoking , drinking , and anything else they do in there free time.. I just think seatbelt laws are foolish , you take the risk , either wear one and live , or dont and die , but that should be YOUR choice. Just my oppinion.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 08:44 PM   #4
Marty

Quote:
What are your thoughts to seatbelt laws and or this situation ?
As to the laws, they are an encroachment on individual freedom, but I don't worry about it, it's pretty minor. It's not like they're restricting my freedom of speech or something along those lines.

As to the situation, I would think she'd want to wear or not wear a belt, regardless of laws, based on what her doctor advises. If that advice is to not wear it, then she could carry a doctor's note with her. And she'll be unpregnant in two months, so this won't be a long-term issue.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 08:50 PM   #5
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

the law is the law no matter how we don't like it.we voted for the a**h***s that make stupid laws.that said,i would always wear a seatbelt,law or no law...over in pa. you have to wear a seatbelt,but if you drive a motorcycle you don't need a helmet...HUH????? what the h*** is wrong with that picture?
Old 11-21-06, 09:39 PM   #6
Bender

The great people of Ohio voted to ban smoking this year in public workplaces that include bars, bowling alleys, etc.
IMO don't go somewhere that is smoking if you don't like it. Same thing goes for seatbelts and helmet laws. If somebody wants to live dangerously then let them until the government provides healthcare they shouldn't have a say in how healthy we live our lives. Even then their control needs to be limited, like that will happen any time soon.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 10:48 PM   #7
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

do you think insurance company lobbyists have anything to do with all these BS laws?...sure cuts down on their having to pay out so much,which in turn drives up their bottom line.
Old 11-22-06, 03:58 PM   #8
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would so some checking around. Some state laws do not require seat belt use for a pregnant woman because the belt, if not worn properly can hurt the unborn child in an accident.
Old 11-22-06, 08:33 PM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I always wear a seatbelt so I'm ambivalent towared a seatbelt law-I had my dad around for an extra 21 years and still have my mom due to seatbelts.

Quote:
Wouldnt a seatbelt in an accident cause life threatning damage to an unborn child ?
Possibly, but I'd think her being thrown through the windshield or being impaled on the steering wheel would be worse. I understand your point, though .
Old 11-23-06, 09:01 PM   #10
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I can understand your point when she got a ticket because it was under her arm not over, thats boogus. But for the first ticket its a pretty just cause. I mean its a rash on the belly in exchange for not being thrown out of the car in an accident.
Old 11-24-06, 10:05 AM   #11
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
The great people of Ohio voted to ban smoking this year in public workplaces that include bars, bowling alleys, etc.
IMO don't go somewhere that is smoking if you don't like it. Same thing goes for seatbelts and helmet laws. If somebody wants to live dangerously then let them until the government provides healthcare they shouldn't have a say in how healthy we live our lives. Even then their control needs to be limited, like that will happen any time soon.
Well, some of those places are places people like to hang out at and have fun... Smokers ruin the air, so they can't go anymore. I would be pretty ticked if i couldn't go to the bowling alley anymore...
Old 11-26-06, 01:18 AM   #12
flfireman

If she places the belt under her belly and snugs it securely to the top of the pelvic girdle this will provide proper protection and will not clamp down on the baby. The shoulder belt is useless under the armpit, look for the pads they sell for them. My wife had one that was about 14 inches long and posed no problems for her. Ive taken more seriously injured unseatbelted drivers out of cars then seatbelted ones.
Old 11-26-06, 02:03 AM   #13
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For the record I hate seatbelt laws. I have gotten several tickets for not wearing seatbelts by sheriffs on dirt roads when I was checking pumps or irrigation equipment... it is rediculous... I get outa my car every 200'. If it doesn't hurt anybody but yourself what is the problem. I've never heard of several people being killed because the driver wasn't wearing his seabelt. Granted seatbelts save lives but so do helmets and they aren't required on motorcycles. However, with regards to the smoking: although that does hurt yourself, it also hurts all of those around you and for that reason should be banned in ALL public place including outdoor areas IMHO. I do not smoke but alot of the hillbillies in my family do and they do not smoke when they are in my house or even on my back porch for a bbq.

And that seatbelt not being worn by your wife because it was under the arm BS... I would fight that chit till the bitter end my friend... That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard... Geez, I need a cigarette!!!!!

Just my 2 cents,

Jolly
Old 11-26-06, 10:50 AM   #14
Christopherkeene9

We've had the same smoking ban here in Fl for a couple years now and personally I like it since it allows all to go and have a good time still and not cause health concerns to EVERYBODY. All the restaurants have compromised for the smokers by building patios or having outdoor seating!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 12:07 PM   #15
Vabass22

I dont think it is a b#*l$!t law. My brother died in a car accident, and I know of many other ppl who also did. I think anything that can make you more safe in a car should be used.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.