Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-07, 08:05 PM   #1
seaphantom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to seaphantom
Default Plants to support forage fish.

I live on a lake that desperately needs a food and shelter source for the bluegill and other baitfish I might introduce.

What type of water vegetation would spread quickly, maintain water oxygen, provide great cover and a source of invertebrates to feed the baitfish?

I understand that this would be ideal help for a healthy bass population as well

please, share what you can
Old 04-29-07, 08:18 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Last month me and FF decided to throw some trees into our lake sunken by a cinderblock, since it gets to 20+ feet and no structure whatsoever.. It is now starting to get effective and I have caught many bass from it eventhough its so new. I dont know if you can spread weed-- but throwing trees in works great as structure.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 08:51 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

This is a very delicate issue because of the existence of laws regarding the introduction of foreign vegetation. Be careful, you could create a bigger problem than you have now.

Now that I said that, there are a few types of vegetation I would look at. Nothing, of course, short of hyrdrilla or hyacinths will take over your water this year - and you probably dont want it to again.

Maidencane is a very benificial weed for bass, its clean, it should be native to your neck of the woods and the potential for it to become a nuisance is very low.

Bullrush is another fine water plant, although I believe it grows slower. But it produces bass and is excellent shelter for forage, not to mention it is easy to target, like maidencane.

Pads - stay away from laydown pads. Bonnets are better (pads that are raised above the surface), but they arent as good as the first 2 options.

Hydrilla - I put this on the list, but if you do it you are really playing with fire. It covers the most water and is the quickest growing and it produces lots of fish, but it really will take over.

My rec would be mostly #1, a little of #2 and depending on your preference #3 might be an option.

PS, don't do anything if you don't have rights to this lake or own it or something. Especially with hydrilla.
Old 04-29-07, 11:41 PM   #4
hackattack

man I got in trouble for doing that, tb. have you ever had people get pissed at you for throwing trees in?
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 08:24 PM   #5
seaphantom

Send a message via AIM to seaphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
This is a very delicate issue because of the existence of laws regarding the introduction of foreign vegetation. Be careful, you could create a bigger problem than you have now.

Now that I said that, there are a few types of vegetation I would look at. Nothing, of course, short of hyrdrilla or hyacinths will take over your water this year - and you probably dont want it to again.

Maidencane is a very benificial weed for bass, its clean, it should be native to your neck of the woods and the potential for it to become a nuisance is very low.

Bullrush is another fine water plant, although I believe it grows slower. But it produces bass and is excellent shelter for forage, not to mention it is easy to target, like maidencane.

Pads - stay away from laydown pads. Bonnets are better (pads that are raised above the surface), but they arent as good as the first 2 options.

Hydrilla - I put this on the list, but if you do it you are really playing with fire. It covers the most water and is the quickest growing and it produces lots of fish, but it really will take over.

My rec would be mostly #1, a little of #2 and depending on your preference #3 might be an option.

PS, don't do anything if you don't have rights to this lake or own it or something. Especially with hydrilla.
Man you've listed some good stuff there, but I also happen to have grass carp.. almost forgot. And hydrilla would probably be kept in check w/ the carp.

I know people in bass fishing talk about weed beds, what sort of weed are those made of?
Old 04-30-07, 08:36 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hyrdilla is dangerous, probably too dangerous for you consider with grass carp.

Weedbeds can refer to a lot, but maidencane is the normal deal.

Don't know if grass carp will eat rushes or bonnets.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...t/aqua024.html
Old 04-30-07, 08:46 PM   #7
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackattack View Post
man I got in trouble for doing that, tb. have you ever had people get pissed at you for throwing trees in?
Not at all.. The Golf course superintendant said it was fine as long as the trees werent above water level and tied down.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.