Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-07, 02:21 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Weeds!!!!

Hey guys, as most of you , new or not, already know, Zooker can be called the "godfather" of fishing here on our site of friendly bass talk. So, I have a small job for him, in which, should make all of us better anglers.

THE TASK: Photograph all weed types that you can positively identify as that type of weed. After posting the pic on the site: 1) Name weed type, 2) Put where it is found(North,South,Florida,Michigan,etc.), 3) Put depths at which most likey found, and 4) Put your "lure of choice" in which would best suit that particular weed type.

O.K., Zook, how does it sound? Bringin' back the anxieties of high school?
I know Zook will git r' done, so no rush, just thought it would be fun to help all the newbs out that are just learnin the sport...

P.S. - ONLY ZOOKER MAY POST PICS AND OTHER CRITERIA UNLESS SOMEONE ELSE HAS BEEN APPOINTED BY ZOOKER HIMSELF!!!

-ll
Old 10-21-07, 06:00 PM   #2
pig n jig

You might better look and learn whats weeds are in the water your fishing. All weeds aren't created equal, so it anit worth knowing sh!t about some stupid weed that anit going to hold fish, unless your into biology.

#2 I hate rules. So here is my alltime favorite.... most sought after weed ....AKA Bass magnet here in western NY. Eurasion milfoil.

For a Biology lesson Myriophyllum spicatum stated in the picture can be broken down to Myrios- numberless, Phyllum- leaf, spica- spiked. Eurasion Milfoil grows in thick matted mess here , the best of both worlds. Bass thrive in it, most fisherman won't put time in to properly fish it.It's left for the fisherman who have taken the time to learn how to identify certain things that become very productive when fishing it. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 07:28 PM   #3
lunker-lander

Yeah, PNJ, we have that here too. But, what is the best lure to fish it? BTW, it also matts here in SE Michigan. Any tips?

-ll
Old 10-21-07, 08:18 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Yeah, PNJ, we have that here too. But, what is the best lure to fish it? BTW, it also matts here in SE Michigan. Any tips?

-ll

Say his Name, now say it louder, now yell it at the top of your lungs, and tie one on.

Lizards
Old 10-22-07, 02:08 PM   #5
Raul

My favorite:

Eigeria densa

Love/hate relationship:

Tule or cattail reeds

Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 04:20 PM   #6
pig n jig

Quote:

-ll
As Lizards stated, I like fishing jigs.

The Question is , where you live, are they Natural glacier formed lakes, or are they man made ?
Old 10-23-07, 11:34 AM   #7
lunker-lander

As to where I live: Southern MI, natural lakes(I guess formed by glaciers).

-ll
Old 10-23-07, 03:43 PM   #8
pig n jig

Quote:
As to where I live: Southern MI, natural lakes(I guess formed by glaciers).

-ll
So you can look at the land surrounding the lake and know where the points might enter the lake bottom, etc....
Old 10-23-07, 07:48 PM   #9
lunker-lander

But what if there is a really huge patch of it? Do I just flip right into it and deadstick, jiggle, what? Also, I don't really get what you mean about the points in the lake, what about them?

-ll
Old 10-23-07, 09:28 PM   #10
zooker

belive this is it
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/aquatics.htm

one of the best i have found out of viginia tech

nuff said

zooker
Old 10-24-07, 08:45 AM   #11
links_man2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here is another site with many of the southern varieties of plants. Noticed the Virginia Tech site didn't show Hydrilla which is very common in the southern states.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/database/index.htm
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 03:49 PM   #12
flbassman

I'm a lilypad/hydrilla man. Big worm (8 inch plus, gator/ribbon tail), either pegged t-rigged, or on a jig.
Old 10-24-07, 04:41 PM   #13
3dkicker

"I love the smell of Milfoil in the springtime."

Flipping the mats in May or June can put some great bags of fish in the boat. Lately we've been dragging big tubes and creature baits in the holes until it gets completely clogged up by the hydrilla. Then we start punching the mats with 1oz Flippin' Weights and Baby Paca Craws. What color you ask? Potomac Blue of course!!!
Old 10-24-07, 04:49 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
belive this is it
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/aquatics.htm

one of the best i have found out of viginia tech

nuff said

zooker
Makes your job, which LL volunteered you into/ a lot easier doesn't it.

Old 10-24-07, 05:13 PM   #15
pig n jig

Quote:
But what if there is a really huge patch of it? Do I just flip right into it and deadstick, jiggle, what? Also, I don't really get what you mean about the points in the lake, what about them?

-ll
I knew I should have let Zooker handle it. Trivia..... Which member lived closest to me in Greenwood , NY before before permanently moving south ?

Ok, Here we go for your question.By following the surrounding land contours around the natural lakes, you can see how the bottom contours will read.For example, if there is a steep hillside, most likely the lake bottom will be the same steep sloped and deeper water there. Where there are flatter terrain, you can expect gradual sloping bottom contours, or flats.

In the huge weedbeds, there are higher percentage areas to pitch a jig to. Pitch to anything that looks a little bit different than its surrounding area.Look for greener weed patches among the weedbed,any jagged outside weedline, isolated clumps outside of the main weedbed., fish slow and thorough as you go.When you catch a fish know what the depth was it can from.In large weedbeds, the depth varies, it makes a big difference certain times of the year .look at the weed top contour if there is a bit of deeper looking water over a small area in the weedbed where the rest of the weed height are the same, its probably a high percentage area, being thats it most likely is a small indentation, or something different that will hold fish.

Does any of this makes sense to you ? P N J
Old 10-24-07, 05:56 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Trivia..... Which member lived closest to me in Greenwood , NY before before permanently moving south ?
pnj
yeah but i graduated from canisteo ny-with your niece-lets just say we've met and let it go at that huh??

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.