Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-07, 04:23 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What other ways for spooks

Are there any other ways to work Zara's and Sammys besides walk the dog that get results? I have tried Zaras and never got hit on them. I guess my walk the dog is pretty bad. Is it also true Sammys are easier to walk than Zara's?
Old 11-09-07, 05:45 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

In order to get the spook to walk (its the only way I've seen them fished) is to give it sharp tugs of the line, and put your rod tip down a tad after the tug to leave slack in your line. With the slack line, the spooks design allows it to
go left, then right..
Once you've thrown one for days on end, you learn several tricks with them, all from the action you provide with your rod and some of the reel retrieve,
you can glide around objects, like a right right right movement, just by either pulling on the lure instead of a tug,

or a tug, then pull, then tug, an allow slack.

You'll get one sooner or later, my favorite time is anywater over 62 water temp, late spring on through the fall. White bottom an a silver top, or grey ,or green, i think they all work pretty good. The big spook is my fav.
I own several sizes , but the big one covers tons of water due to weight and long casts. Many on here will swear by the mid size, it depends on several factors which one works the best. IMO
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 06:26 PM   #3
pig n jig

I like the spook family better than the sammy types.The key is to get the right size split ring and hooks on them.the smaller the split ring, the wide range of movement the hook swing will have,too large of a split ring will bind as the hook swings through the water.I like a #5, or a #4 treble size .The reaason is that I will catch alot more smallmouth than I will largemouth on these lakes that I fish.A slower cadence works better for largemouth and a faster walk motion seems to work better for smallmouths.The greatest thrill for topwater doesn't come from bass strikes, but large pickeral and pike.They will get alot of air time when smashing the spooks.Sometimes just casting it out where you know there are fish and just let it sit there for a minute , or two works.I broke the line on a cast once ,the spook landed on the surface a ways up the shore line, I picked up another rod and fished the area heading towards the spook , when a largemouth smashed the sitting spook. I knew it was a largemouth, because it made several jumps afterwards trying to throw the spook . P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 09:36 AM   #4
WIbassfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Walking the dog with the tip down while having slack line, as mentioned, is the best way to walk it. If you're not getting the action you want, you can sometimes change out the split ring to a snap lock swivel.

Or if your walk the dog isn't quite where you want it, you may be attracting fish but not getting them to commit. Maybe take the back treble off and attach a dropper line with a small fly behind it. They might commit to that!
Old 11-10-07, 10:49 PM   #5
Mac10

The idea of releasing tension on the line right after the tug is perfect advice. I liken it to watching a little kid using a hammer. They hit the nail quite often and let the hammer bounce upwards after the actual hit. It's a reflex of sort, lifting the hammer so quickly as if on a recoil.

According to what I've read, after every three or four pops, reel in a little slack and continue. After much use, it all smooths out to a pretty regular rhythm, the popping-releasing, bringing in slack and all.

This is a good thread, lots of good info.

Good fishing, Mac
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 07:10 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've heard one of the easier bait to walk is the XCaliber Jimmy. I'd like to get me one and try it out during the upcoming summer. The only walk the dog bait I have is the Rapala one... don't know what it's called though. It's not too hard, but I still am horrible at it.

BB
Old 11-11-07, 08:37 PM   #7
Wags

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags

I have fallen in love with my Zara Spook to the point of OVER use. I have made an odd discovery with it late this summer and fall. I used to only use top-water poppers and my Spook when the water was very calm. For whatever reason, I have had many of my best LM catches of the season by using the Spook when the water was somewhat choppy to the point where I have a difficult time seeing the movement but apparently the fish are seeing it just find. I have had some major blow-ups on it fishing it in the slightly choppy water. Is this normal or is this just our northern bass acting strangely?? Whatever the reason.....I am now sleeping with my Zara Spook!!!!
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 11:40 PM   #8
bassinbob

Bill Dance was using the Jimmy today. I went to Sportmans Warehouse today. They didn't have any Sammys but I did get a Jimmy. I also got a Zell Pop and some Lake Fork "Live Magic Shad." Thanks for the good info guys. Also they did have some St Croix Avids and Legends on sale but not what I was looking for. Avids=$100 and Ledgends=$159.
Old 11-13-07, 05:13 PM   #9
adamgambill

I like a skitterwalk a little better, but i use these lures in salt only. I like to dead-stick the lure just leave it sitting for a few moments before walking it. Seen many a fella fish them way WAY too fast.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.