Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-09, 12:39 AM   #1
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Ever had a bass fishing buddy like this ?

The one that brings three huge takle boxes each time you go out with every bait in every size and color. Yet he could not catch a starving bass in a 100 gallon tank. I had a friend like this, if I fished a bait he did not have and caught fish on it the next time out he had it in every color and size. The fluke is one I remember, we fished top water and suddenly I found a great bite on the fluke, he did not have any. The next time out he had a ton of them, he liked to cast to new spots before me, I'd let him work his bait and cast to the same spot. Time and again I had a strike or a fish and he hated it, he just did not get the working the bait thing. If I caught fish on it and he used the same bait he should catch fish on it, not realizing the difference in the technique.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 12:59 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well i am the other guy most of the time,lmao. when i see what the other feller is doing and using i ask him/her to show me howw to do it their way. yes i too will go out and buy as many color varaitions as i can. or at least get more than 1 like his. if i am ctching fish and they ain't, i show them how i am using it. and we will try different styles and colors. last year at the first get together, i had bigbassing144 and his father kingfish in my boat. kingfish was using a different color lizard and started catching fish. dragging ever so slowly. i was using a punkinseed with a chartruse tail lizard. i switched after the trip. and started using kingfishes style. it worked when my regular style did not. i think it is so very inportant to share styles and techiniques with the ones in your rig. i am NOT great fisherman. i like to say that i can coach better than i can play. and i am usually right,lmao. now if i can only learn from myself i would be a better fisherman, hahahaha.
Old 03-15-09, 01:18 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Yep, quite a few of them. Me included sometimes.
Old 03-15-09, 01:28 AM   #4
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i'd like to have a bud like that...i run out or lose something, he's got several of 'em. sounds like a win win to me.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 08:20 AM   #5
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
i'd like to have a bud like that...i run out or lose something, he's got several of 'em. sounds like a win win to me.
Yea what lowrider said
Old 03-15-09, 08:41 AM   #6
JB

It pays to be prepared, all of us have had a lure that the bass are hitting all day and when we loose our last one nothing seems to work for the rest of the day..I say if the guy has nuff strength to carry a ton of tackle with him, let him.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 10:18 AM   #7
aikenyounggun

yeah..... my neighbor we started takin fishin a year ago... hes 24, never had a job, lives with his mom, and is a piece of work (ill try not to rant)

so we take him out and of course he bought all sorts of crap.... we catch fish all day on shaky head..... he throws is for 5 minutes but wants to throw somethin else

for 3 or 4 tournaments he did this.... change every 5 minutes , watch us catch fish..... finally he realized if he stayed with what we were throwin and he started catchin fish

this kid buys everything and one day im probably gonna start a rant about him after he does another stupid thing.... which he does a lot.... one day ill make his own thread just to make you laugh
Old 03-15-09, 10:29 AM   #8
Jim80

That would be me (sighs loudly) jk no we all just carry what we need .

Jim
Old 03-15-09, 01:08 PM   #9
Bassboss

I've had them, but not to that extent! Rich folk, you know how they are!
Old 03-16-09, 02:33 AM   #10
CCbass

Okay, the reality of his stash was crap, if I lost a lure I had no more of he did not have it or very few because he bought all colors and sizes not just the one working. Tons of other stuff that I would never buy, I wish I fished with him enough that he would buy the lures I used as I switched between baits on our outings. The reality is he always thought something else would catch more fish, he bought my lures yet still second guessed and bought all sizes and colors of the same bait.
Old 03-16-09, 01:23 PM   #11
OrygunBasser

I suppose we have all had that happen a few times along the way, especially those of use that been fishing for awhile. I had a guy show up one time back when I had a smaller boat, (15'). He had two duffle bags like the ones you use to put baseball stuff in. I asked hime what that stuff was and he had everything that he owned in them. They would have taken up every bit of floor space in the boat. I told him to take out his lunch, raingear and coat and leave everything else in the truck. He could use my gear and then next time figure what to take. OK, I was a hard *ss but there was no way I was going to trip over everything he owned all day!!
Old 03-16-09, 08:11 PM   #12
flbassman

I actually don't have a bass fishin buddy like that. I got one buddy whose like that in general, always buying some new toy, (jet skis, a donzi, an 08 silverado, dirt bikes, brand new rifles), that generally coincides with me or a friend getting or talking about that particular item. He's a good guy, but it's a little frustating waitin and workin months or years for something, and then he picks up two or three in a newer model and they get a lot of garage time.
Old 03-17-09, 01:18 AM   #13
CCbass

Flbassman sort of my point here, I struggled to be able to afford enough extras of my good baits. He went nuts on crap that wouldn't catch a fish if you tried for years. Oh well I guess thats fishing.
Old 03-17-09, 07:11 AM   #14
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I readily admit that I tote a tackle bag that at times has weighed so much as 60+ pounds and anywhere from 8 to 14 rods. Humping that stuff up the fifteen steps to my condo's door, heaving it into/out of vehicle and boat, etc, is trying AND painful at best.
When I fish with Reb there's little likelihood that he'll need anything from my stash but he knows it's HIS if he needs it. On the other hand, there are some folks who are less well-equipped and who do often benefit from the assortment of goodies weighing down the boat.
Coincidentally, I've spent the last several days assembling a lighter and more compact bag that I can snatch 'n run with when the occasion (or my aching back) dictates that I can leave the Behemoth Bag at home. Of course, I'll need to rotate stuff in and out thereof in an effort to be certain that I have the right stuff for each occasion but that in itself is fun.
In re the number of rods...In some cases a partner is not so well-equipped as I or maybe has not the right combo to be able to maximize a certain technique or even successfully toss and retrieve a specific lure. In those instances it makes me all warm and fuzzy to offer him/her the right rig.
If I'm fishing with someone I know to be properly armed I might carry fewer rigs, especially if the season, conditions, or body of water dictates a more defined set of techniques will be employed.
When I was a boater the greatest aggravation was not the amount of tackle a guest showed up with; More often it was all the other crap...48 quart cooler...Duffle bag with God-Knew-Wot in it...One even brought a huge Zenith "Transoceanic" AM/FM/Shortwave radio. Another (We'll call him "Earl" 'cause that was his name,) not only brought a way-too-large cooler and a tote bag but he actually added two "reserve" six-packs of *soft drinks in case he swilled the twelve cans that reposed in the cooler along with enough food to feed Zooker...well, at least for the first hour. "Earl," (I said)..."Do you have enough stuff?" to which the fat-*** replied "Well, I figured we'd come back to the marina and get some burgers around Noon, so I left out some stuff."
Earl, BTW, also had at least eight rods...and EVERY one of them was an Ugly-Stik...with a PUSHBUTTON REEL...ARRRRRRRGGGGGGH! Truth! Word!
Getting out of the hole and onto plane was a study in slow motion, even with a 175 Black Max doing it's best.

L6
*For those aren't familiar with it "Big Red", Earl's idea of a fine beverage, is the nastiest blend of formaldehyde and liquid bubble gum imaginable.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 11:30 AM   #15
Culln5

Yup.... and he would fish more in his box than in the water!
Old 03-18-09, 03:38 AM   #16
CCbass

I think it comes down to confidence, give me a technique, I have a few I go to with confidence. Some... give them a technique and they feel confident because they have every size and color. None they really have any confidence in but they feel confident that if they keep switching one will work, which leaves them fishing in the tacle box and not in the water.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.