Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-11, 02:53 PM   #1
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser
Default Restoring a drowned reel

I lost this baitcast reel about two years ago while kayaking on the river, and found it a few months ago while shore fishing. I was able to sand down and repaint the rod ( a BPS Extreme rod) and now I use it with another setup, but I had forgotten about the reel. This used to be my favorite reel ever, while it is not the most expensive, I just loved it.

Heres my question..
Can I send this reel to someone to fix it up back to its old condition? It is a Quantum Accurist AC500CX. The handle, drag, and all the knobs move with no problem, and the spool still turns but only once the "button" is pushed up manually. Its kinda hard to explain, lol. Right now its not usable, but I have a feeling it can be with someone who knows what they are doing and can repaint it. Anyone on this site charge to do it? Id rather give the work to a forum member i possible.

Here are the pics. I took the handle off, as it was snapped in half. I replaced it with some random one I had laying around.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 02:56 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've done some pretty bad ones, but looking at the picture, I would say that this would cost more to fix than the price of a new reel.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 03:00 PM   #3
CamG

I'm sure that it could be done...if you want to spend the money. I've seen several of these reels running around for $80-120. Thinking you'd have that much into it after it's all said and done.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 03:06 PM   #4
texasbasser

The reel is bad, ill admit, but the pictures do make it look ALOT worse. It seems that the only thing not working is the casting button. That and looking really ugly.

TB
Old 03-14-11, 06:15 PM   #5
pro reel

I know a guy that paints them, but he gets $50 bucks. I would have to guess that it needs at least as much work as the reel I posted about last week that was underwater, and that guy was very lucky that it only cost about $70 bucks for service and parts to make it work like new again. his reel had aluminim and plated finish, so it didn't need painted. I could sure look at it for you sometime, but I just think that it would need a lot of parts to run smooth.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 11:47 PM   #6
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
I've done some pretty bad ones, but looking at the picture, I would say that this would cost more to fix than the price of a new reel.
Pretty much what I was thinking.
There are some NIB on ebay for $99.
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 12:29 AM   #7
texasbasser

Looks like ill just purchase a new one.

Thanks,
TB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.