Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-11, 06:28 PM   #1
LeBron_Hill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default HVAC guys step in...

I am 27 years old and have been a diesel mechanic for the past 7 years. I have been thinking alot lately about changing my profession. I am thinking about going into HVAC and studying to be a chiller technician. I would like some of you guys feedback on the profession. The job I am at now has no retirement, no 401k, no sick days, and only 5 days of vacation after 7 years of service...(yeah it kinda sucks). I am about to get ready to try to start a family and I need to look into a profession that allows me to prepare for my future. I would like to hear some opinions and if possible discuss some other information with you guys privately through pm's...this is a big step for me because diesel trucks are all that I have ever known but working 50 hrs a week and making 50k a year for the rest of my life just isnt what I had planned for the rest of my life. Thanks in advance for any input guys.
LeBron_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 06:33 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i work for diilards ther is a big demand for hvac tech with chiller knowledge both high and low pressure. if you can you need to work for carrier,york or one of the big companies that a union. thats where the money is the local place are really not setg up for 01k retire or bif benafits. pm me dillard is always looking for hvac tech if school trian you can ask your own price,
Old 06-07-11, 06:41 PM   #3
LeBron_Hill

that is the thing, I am not school trained...yet. I have been talking with a buddy of mine who works for McKenney's. They handle heating and air. He said that they would send me to school and pay me to go to school for it. He said that with my knowledge of building engines and turbos that they would be really interested in me. He is good buddies with the manager and he said that he is going to talk to him next tuesday when he gets back in town...yes it will be thru a union as well.
Old 06-07-11, 10:20 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lebron, not trying to disuade oyu form the HVAC carreer, but have oyu tried to get a government job as a mech? jsut saying, i work for a city, great insurance, holidays (could be better if i worked for the county or feds, but ok here), and a retirement plan tha tis KILLER. i have only 12 more years to go and i will have a very decent retirement. not the best mind oyu, but good enough to keep me fishing till i croak out on the RAJUN CAJUN, lol. i am in the RSA system, which is the same as the state of alabama teachers retirement. i can draw after i put in 25 yrs to the system. even if i can't draw social sec. jsut a little food for thought ok? check and see if there is anyone that oyu know who works for a city, county state or federal government that can help oyu. with your experience, i think oyu would go far in the field oyu are in if oyu worked for a government of some sort. again, just food for thought.
Old 06-08-11, 06:51 AM   #5
LeBron_Hill

that is not a bad idea bama...never really thought about that. Might need to check into that a little more. Just at a crossroads right now and not sure if I want to continue pursueing a career as a diesel mechanic. Kinda want to see what else is out there while I am still semi-young. If it doesnt work out, I can always fall back on being a diesel mechanic I guess...
Old 06-08-11, 08:04 AM   #6
lilmule

Tradesmen dont get an automatic 401 k and much work is seasonal,takes either a union or like he said government .
Many universities are funded or are state government I as well came to a crossroads and got a job with Marshall university,list is endless state motor pool,county or city just look at all the junk they have that needs work.
Trick is in getting hired on.Then must be prepared to continue education I took night classes for 7 years while working every day,along with 24 hr callout,then theres lic one has to take hvac,electrical maybe even plumbing,or one for a ram gun.
And each and every lic you take or hold regardless if it is req is either a paygrade req or an upgrade to another pay grade.
I started out as a 6, 13 years later was bldtrdswkr 8,and that retirement 401 you put in about as much as they do,and how you invest it mean a lot on the tall end.
If something is worth it ,still takes effort on your end,two way street,still even then no guarantees.
Even where you are at can create your own 401k plan, or ira but just you investing not you and employer.
Someone like TIAA-Cref can consult you as to how.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-08-11 at 08:21 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 08:29 AM   #7
LeBron_Hill

yes this particular job I am speaking about is working for a union.
Old 06-08-11, 08:37 AM   #8
lilmule

Any job worth having theirs a line waiting,goodluck with the upgrade.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 01:28 PM   #9
LeBron_Hill

thanks alot man.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.