Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-11, 04:31 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Best new products for you this year

With all the talk about Icast I got to wondering. What new products did you start using this year that you were really happy with? They don't have to be new products, only new to you. So far this year the best money I have spent has been my Costa Del Mar Man-O Wars with the 580 glass lenses. I was really worried that the glass lenses would be too heavy but I can't believe how light they are. These glasses are way better than any Oakleys I have ever owned and Britney likes them so much she is looking for a frame style that she likes so she can order some. I really like the side shields that snap on and off, they block out all the light from the corners of the frames when fishing but you can pop them off and they look great to wear out on the town.

Also my Mustan Inflatable life jacket with H.I.T. was well worth the money. I always wear a life jacket when my boat is on plane and this thing is so lightweight and comfortable that I almost forget I am wearing it.

The Havoc Pitboss is a bait that I started using this year that I have been really impressed with. It's great for flipping, carolina rigging, texas rigging, and jig trailers. They are a great value too considering they are fairly cheap.

Probably the one product that made my year so good to this point is the KVD 1.5. This bait has bailed my butt out of the fire several times this year. It has put some big fish in the boat for me as well as a lot of fish.

Lastly the KVD Triple Grips. I have been using Triple Grips for a long time and I love them. But just when you thought they couldn't get any better, KVD changes them lol. Now they are a little heavier which I love because the regular ones were prone to bending too easy. They also have a really short shank so you can go up one size when replacing hooks and this means a lot less fish lost.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 05:10 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have to say a few of mine include the KVD Elite Triple Grips as well, they are now on every one of my crankbaits. I have also enjoyed the KVD 1.5 and 2.5 crankbaits, and they have caught ALOT of bass for me, espcially last fall when they first came out.

One more thing to touch on, is the Quantum Tour KVD Reels, they are hands down the best reel I have ever thrown. My arsenal is rapidly moving from Smoke reels to Tour KVD's and Tour Edition PT's. They are a little heavy (8 ounces) but they are far worth it to me for the long distance casting, and BUTTER smooth operation I am getting out of them.

In retrospect, this has been one long post pushing nothing but KVD products.... but hey, what can I say, they work!

A couple of other baits I have started using and really loving are:

Havoc Grass Pig for Swim Jig Trailers
Big Bite Senkos
Strike King 5XD
VMC Dropshot Hooks
Mustad Ultra Point Worm Hooks and EWG Hooks (Ultralock is the best I have tried yet)

Ryan
Old 07-22-11, 05:16 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

Kory, if Britney finds some Costas she likes, let me know which frames, lenses, color, etc., and let me see what I could get them for. Our dealership sells them, so I could probably get a pretty good deal on them.
Old 07-22-11, 05:32 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Kory, if Britney finds some Costas she likes, let me know which frames, lenses, color, etc., and let me see what I could get them for. Our dealership sells them, so I could probably get a pretty good deal on them.
Thanks for the heads up Daniel, I will do that for sure.
Old 07-22-11, 06:41 PM   #5
bamabassman

kory, just make sure she tries on evry pair at least 3 times before trying to chew him down on the price, hehehehe. daniel knows what i am talking about.
Old 07-22-11, 06:47 PM   #6
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

spool of 10lb Nanofil line

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 07:03 PM   #7
Bassboss

Gotta be my St.Croix premier spinning rod. I've used this thing tons this year, and have caught some really nice fish on it. Really glad I got this rod.

A good ol bill lew's rattle trap was also a huge producer for me in early spring. Definitely made the winter's wait worth while.
Old 07-22-11, 09:34 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'll start with the rod: the Dobyns DX784C ML. I bought it last Nov., so I just started using it this year. It's 7'8" H F, and is my do all jig rod. I fished this rod a ton in Alabama. Very sensitive and balanced. And it really got me loving full cork grips again (my Loomis rod cause me to get bored with them, lol).

For a reel, it's got to be my Daiwa Sol-L. Also purchased last fall (only fished with twice last year), and used this year. The light spool really lets me cast smaller baits, even on the 7' MH F rod it's paired with. This reel fits my hand like a glove when fishing and is one of the most comfortable reels I've held. It was a tough decision between this or the Daiwa Zillion, but the versatility and wide range of lures the Sol can handle pushes it over the top.

Two lines really shined for me so far this year. The first is Sufix 832 Braid. Sufix PB was my favorite before I got my hands on the 832. It's smoother, quieter in the guides, incredibly sensitive and it sinks slowly (a plus for fishing jigs or plastics). The second line was just recently added to my arsenal: Sunline Super FC. This is a reasonably priced FC that is quickly climbing the list of my favorite fluoros. Slightly stiffer than my current favorite (Seaguar InvisX), although with less stretch. If it performs like InvisX with some KVD L&L, it may be my new favorite.

One of the only new lures I can say really say stood out to me was my own new flipping jigs. I purchased the new mold this spring and started frantically pouring jigs for the Alabama Event. I fished these jigs, armed with Owner Cutting Point hooks a lot down there and they accounted for half of my bass during the trip.

I also recently picked up an LC Gunfish that has the makings of a great bait. It just hasn't gotten enough time on the water to impress me yet.

One other thing I've got to mention is the Stick Jacket's Rod Butler. While it's simply a bungee cord you pull to tighten around your rods with a locking mechanism, I found it very handy when carrying 4-5 rods in someone else's boat, to and from the truck, to and from the cabin, etc. down in Alabama. They are something you could probably make yourself, but at $2.50-3.50, they're cheap enough that I didn't bother to.

BB
Old 07-22-11, 09:43 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'll start with the rod: the Dobyns DX784C ML. I bought it last Nov., so I just started using it this year. It's 7'8" H F, and is my do all jig rod. I fished this rod a ton in Alabama. Very sensitive and balanced. And it really got me loving full cork grips again (my Loomis rod cause me to get bored with them, lol).

For a reel, it's got to be my Daiwa Sol-L. Also purchased last fall (only fished with twice last year), and used this year. The light spool really lets me cast smaller baits, even on the 7' MH F rod it's paired with. This reel fits my hand like a glove when fishing and is one of the most comfortable reels I've held. It was a tough decision between this or the Daiwa Zillion, but the versatility and wide range of lures the Sol can handle pushes it over the top.

Two lines really shined for me so far this year. The first is Sufix 832 Braid. Sufix PB was my favorite before I got my hands on the 832. It's smoother, quieter in the guides, incredibly sensitive and it sinks slowly (a plus for fishing jigs or plastics). The second line was just recently added to my arsenal: Sunline Super FC. This is a reasonably priced FC that is quickly climbing the list of my favorite fluoros. Slightly stiffer than my current favorite (Seaguar InvisX), although with less stretch. If it performs like InvisX with some KVD L&L, it may be my new favorite.

One of the only new lures I can say really say stood out to me was my own new flipping jigs. I purchased the new mold this spring and started frantically pouring jigs for the Alabama Event. I fished these jigs, armed with Owner Cutting Point hooks a lot down there and they accounted for half of my bass during the trip.

I also recently picked up an LC Gunfish that has the makings of a great bait. It just hasn't gotten enough time on the water to impress me yet.

One other thing I've got to mention is the Stick Jacket's Rod Butler. While it's simply a bungee cord you pull to tighten around your rods with a locking mechanism, I found it very handy when carrying 4-5 rods in someone else's boat, to and from the truck, to and from the cabin, etc. down in Alabama. They are something you could probably make yourself, but at $2.50-3.50, they're cheap enough that I didn't bother to.

BB
The only thing in your post that I have used is the Gunfish, and I know you will love it. It's got me tons of bites on days when fish just ignore a Spook. It's got a great spitting action while also walking the dog and has a little more subtle profile than a Spook. Not saying that Spooks aren't great baits though because they are and I still use them a lot.

I am glad to hear that you like the Sunline Super FC. I have said for a long time that if Seaguar ever gives me a reason to change brands I will probably try Sunline first.
Old 07-22-11, 09:52 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Seaguar never gave me any trouble and I still love it. The trouble actually came from the Monkey. I've wanted to try some Sunline for a while anyways.

BB
Old 07-22-11, 10:29 PM   #11
Jrob78

Great topic Kory!

I've used quite a few new products that have helped my fishing this year, thinking of them all might be tough though.

Two things that have definitely helped me get better performance out of my reels are Boca Orange Seal bearings and an ultra sonic cleaner. I can get my bearings and reel parts perfectly clean and get optimal performance out of them. The bearing upgrades also help get extra casting distance and require less effort to make a good cast.

I too am a big fan of the Berkley Havoc Pit Boss. I fish Beaver baits a ton and these are awesome. You can't beat the price either.

My MH glass crankbait rod has also proven to be a great addition. It handles big deep divers with ease and is great for shallow cranking in heavy cover and lipless baits. It has become one of my favorite rods to fish.

Swim jigs are another bait that I picked up about a year ago. They have produced a big portion of my fish in that time span. They are fun to fish and give the fish something a little different to look at.

Another bait that I've been fishing a lot is the Roboworm EZ Shad. These have quickly become my favorite small paddle tail. Great action, great design and not too expensive.

I would also say that the Texas Tackle Split Ring Pliers I got a few weeks ago are a big upgrade from the pliers I was using before. I haven't used them much but I can already tell they are awesome. I highly recommend these pliers.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, I will add to the list if I think of anything else.
Old 07-22-11, 11:08 PM   #12
Tavery5

I have added several new products this year. First and foremost would be the Lews Tournament Pro Speed Spool. This reel is the real deal, it is light, made well, and cast and retrieves like a dream. Rods, I have added several also, some of the ones that have stood out are the Falcon Cara T7 line, good components, light, sensitive and still made in the USA. Line, Suffix 832, did not think I would ever leave PP but this line is just better. The bait that I have enjoyed the most this year is the Bass Assault swim jig, these things are made the way a swim jig is suppose to be made.

There are many other items that I am leaving out but these were some of my favorites
Old 07-22-11, 11:10 PM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
The bait that I have enjoyed the most this year is the Bass Assault swim jig, these things are made the way a swim jig is suppose to be made.
Our talks in the chatroom are really what got me interested in swim jigs. They have proven to be a very effective bait! Thanks for the recommendation
Old 07-22-11, 11:38 PM   #14
Tavery5

I am glad that you have had good luck with them. They are one of a few baits that when I fished them for the first time I was truely amazed. I have only felt the same way about one or two other baits, the Yamamoto Senko, and the Lake Fork Tackle tube craw, these baits just flat out catch fish.
Old 07-24-11, 09:18 PM   #15
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I got my first Dobyns rod early this year and love it. My original intent was to use it for frogs but it performs so well with t-rigs and jigs I'm looking for another frog rod now. I've also been very happy with my Denali crankbait rod.

For lures the one that stands out the most have been the Lucky Strike RC cranks. I've used both these and the KVDs and the RCs have outfished the KVDs by quite a bit. The only down side to the RCs has been that northern pike like them also so I've lost a few to sharp teeth!
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.