Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-11, 10:56 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default why are most bass fisherman snobs "insert word"

not to offend anyone but at all the places i fish i have observed this, when i 100% catfished it was the worst, we would fish in a cove and they would troll right across our lines. know when i am bank fishing with 2 poles,they roll into the weekly tournament like they dont care, they dont care if your walking to the dock or not. I know not all people are like this but more than enough in my area are. me being a novice i have asked several times whats the big bait for my lake, this one guy heard me but totally ignored me and contiuned to talk to his buddies, like i was gonna catch all the fish in the lake off the bank. i mean just a random topic that i want yalls opnions on.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 11:32 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Honestly, most true bass fishermen are the farthest thing from snobs.

What you ran into are tourney fishing wannabe's.

Totally different breed.

If I were bank fishing, I would keep a handful of big rocks close by, and a sidearm on my hip.
Old 08-01-11, 11:51 PM   #3
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I also hope not to offend anyone, but I have my own issues with 100% catfishermen in the lakes I fish.....Not so much the guys that fish from the bank with a rod/reel, but the trotline guys and the jug and limb guys and especially the Yo-yo guys. These anglers seems to leave their crap whenever they're done and that just torks my jaws, and makes my blood boil....Not to mention that in my state ALL their equipment is suppose to be tagged with their names and SS# all the pertinant info of who owns it, but I seldom ever see anyone do this...a few guys label their gear, but these are not the guys I have a beef with.

I'm sick of the guys that will leave trotlines strung up for weeks on end, if someone doesn't cut it loose before then....Its like when they're done fishin they just abandon their trotline instead of retrieving it to use again......Must be cheaper and easier to just buy another one I guess....I dunno.

What about the guys that string their stuff right across the entrance to a cove like some sort of barracade....the trotline is above water halfway across the cove so no boater can trol thru that area....I have to be careful not to get hung in the stupid things with the trollin motor, and there might be 3-4 strung up in one cove....its like the guy just claimed the cove as his, and has the nerve to sit in the shade on the bank and give the boat anger evil looks as he trolls by...Like "What are you doing in MY cove".

Worst are the jug lines that float endlessly and end up on shore for someone else to clean up, and then theres the guys that use Yo-yo's....they seem to want to nail a 2X4 to every other piece of timber standing in the water so they can hang a yo-you from each end....they NEVER take these 2X4's down so eventually all the trees standing in the water all look like crosses....Its like fishing in a watery graveyard.....As an avid photographer I love taking pictures of nature and outdoor scenery.....I want to take photos of that beautiful cove as the sunsets behind those trees, but all the 2X4's hanging from the timber in the water take away from the whole natural feel that the photo would have, had some knothead not hung them there to rot....Not the mention the old bleach bottles that have washed ashore in the background....really kills what would otherwise be a great photo opportunity....If ya know what I mean?

Can you see from my reply how boat anglers might not be happy with catfisherman?....They see you fishing from shore, but for all they know your the guy that hung those trotlines and never took them down....Your the guy that leaves his jugs to float eternally....Your the guy they're not intested in shootin the bull with....Hypothetically speaking of course...lol.

Then again, you might've just run into guys that are jerks and don't care to be friendly....lol....I have lots of catfisherman hollar at us as we troll by....they are usually asking if we've caught anything....not much else....We'll gladly respond....Even if I do think they might be "That guy"....hahaha.

Regular bass fisherman are great folks....tournament guys are also great folks but they are workin so they don't wanna chitchat with the local riffraff....lol
Old 08-01-11, 11:55 PM   #4
Tavery5

I agree with nofear on this one. Most true fisherman, are guys that grew up loving the outdoors and have great memories of fishing as a kid with their Father, Grandfather or other family members. Most of these guys love to give back and almost always take the time to help someone who is just getting into fishing or someone who is just having a hard time on a new body of water . It is a shame, but a fact of life that there are a few people who feel the need to make themselves feel better by looking down at another group of people. It's called insecurity and overcompensation, best thing to do is keep these type of people out of your life, they offer very little in the way of edification. Keep talking to the local guys, you will find the right group if you stay with it, and if all else fails you still have us.
Old 08-02-11, 12:42 AM   #5
Jrob78

What you're talking about isn't a fishing problem, it's a life problem. These are the same people that cut you off in traffic, talk loudly on their cell phone while they're waiting in line at Walmart, go to the dog park and don't pick up after their dog, proudly sit in the right lane at a red light while 20 cars behind them wait to turn, take up 2 parking spots so their Lexus doesn't get dinged...etc. There are inconsiderate, self important, mannerless Dicks with an inflated sense of entitlement and a lack of respect for those around them, everywhere. They are in all walks of life, come in all shapes, sizes, colors, genders and if they are reading this thread right now, they either don't care or are completely oblivious to the fact that this is about them. Unfortunately, some of them do bass fish too.
Old 08-02-11, 06:52 AM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
What you're talking about isn't a fishing problem, it's a life problem. These are the same people that cut you off in traffic, talk loudly on their cell phone while they're waiting in line at Walmart, go to the dog park and don't pick up after their dog, proudly sit in the right lane at a red light while 20 cars behind them wait to turn, take up 2 parking spots so their Lexus doesn't get dinged...etc. There are inconsiderate, self important, mannerless Dicks with an inflated sense of entitlement and a lack of respect for those around them, everywhere. They are in all walks of life, come in all shapes, sizes, colors, genders and if they are reading this thread right now, they either don't care or are completely oblivious to the fact that this is about them. Unfortunately, some of them do bass fish too.
Took the words right outta my mouth. Couldn't agree more.
Old 08-02-11, 08:31 AM   #7
MIbasser

I will say that you very seldom hear people talk about the "big bait" for the lake. Sure you can call them tournament wannabe's or what have you, some guys just don't like giving out that type of information. I'm one of them (to a point). On another forum you will see a lot of fishing reports early in our season (catch and release), but once tournaments start up, people shut up on the reports. Why is that? Tournament guys don't want you to know what's going on, on certain bodies of water. Just don't take it the wrong way when somebody doesn't tell you where the "hot" spots are, or what the bait of the day is. That is why it's called fishing, not catching. Go find the spot on a spot and find the bait that will bring in the big one.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 10:53 AM   #8
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Woah, Joe just went off on someone. I see a lot of bass guys like that too, they own huge boats and go 100MPH through your fishing area, making so bad of waves that the water is thrown upon the bank. It's ridiculous. Wish I fished in a boat with one of those guys. Let's just say I'd use a lot of treble hooks and overexaggeratingly hard casts (is that a word??) I don't really see why people try to hide the bait they're catching them on, but to each his own.. If someone asks what I'm catching them on I'll gladly tell him/her.
Old 08-02-11, 12:55 PM   #9
CamG

Quote:
Absolutely!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 01:17 PM   #10
wallywallace

hey, i agree about the idiot jug fishing, that is ridiculous. and I do NOT do it.. but i see what your saying.. considering i am stuck on the bank i am sure the guy i talked to could of at least acknowledged me. anyway i am glad to see your opnions. though i am the type of guy, that doesnt go and tell my catfishing stuff to everybody, but if i see a kid or someone who is just in the left field, i will help.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 01:40 PM   #11
WTL

Last week, I set up camp on the edge of a popular lake. About 7 pm, a catfisherman showed up and insisted on nightfishing all night just in front of my tent. He asked if it was ok, and I figured I had little choice in the matter - didn't want to piss the locals off. He didn't bug me much, he wasnt too loud and I talked to him for a bit, but in that situation, if a guy has a camping spot taken, and you come out of the woods and see that, you don't ask to nightfish anyway, you find another place to fish.
Old 08-02-11, 01:50 PM   #12
WaffleJaw

Yea not sharing tips is one thing...Ignoring someone completely is something else.
Like Joe said,It definitely is a character flaw more so than the sport.
Every social/sport group has these pretentious dildos.
The thing to remember is to not associate the piss poor attitude with all bass anglers...Just like I wont connect trashed banks to catfishermen.....Because we all know its those damn carp anglers(shaking fist)
Old 08-02-11, 02:30 PM   #13
3dkicker

Finally someone else confirmed it. I knew it was them!!!!!

It definately goes both ways. I've seen both sides and unfortunately been involved in a couple incidences: bankfishers vs boat, land owner vs boat, dock-no wake vs boat, and boat vs boat. And it can get ugly. Keep a positive attitude and most problems take care of themselves.
Old 08-02-11, 03:03 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Personally, I hate it when someone sets their crab pots on top of mine.

I think you will find that as long as men have been fishing, they have also been fighting over it. It will never change. It's in the blood.
Old 08-02-11, 03:47 PM   #15
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Personally, I hate it when someone sets their crab pots on top of mine.

"Them's fightin' words!!"
Old 08-03-11, 06:50 PM   #16
Vegasspider

I know what you are talking about. I would say almost everyone of the ones that I have encountered that are snobs, are the wannabes or so it seems.

Most of them don’t have a real meaning in life and they must think others look up to them or something. The best bass fisherman are the nicest people most will ever meet. I think it is a food chain thing.

A bag a rotten fruit and veggies will take care of the line crossing, wave making jerks. Hit the motor cover it’s nice and warm and the food sticks to it instantly.

Whoever says violence solves nothing much have flunked history….
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 10:37 AM   #17
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 08-06-11, 12:54 AM   #18
bamabassman

i too have to agree with jrob. people suck some times. sorry it happened to you pal.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.